Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition switch on a 76
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
The ignition switch on my 76 seems to be sticking when I try and start the car. To get the starter to stop, I have to switch it off and on again.

I took off the wheel. As I was taking off the wiper and turn signal switches, I noticed that they seemed different. Did they change these from earlier cars? I think my 73s are different.

Anyone know?

TIA.
SLITS
There are 3 different styles:

Early- '70 - Mid 72?

Median- Late '72 to '74

Late - '75 & '76

The late ones are about $5 at Pelican

To get to it ... there are 5 allen head bolts on the steering columun (bottom) ... 4 hold the assembly to the dash frame. There is one single that mounts the turn signal/washer assembly to the steering housing.

Pull the steering wheel.

Pull a "C" shaped clip off the steering shaft. It's soft and will bend (remember to put it back when reassembling).

Take out the single allen head fastner on the steering column.

The entire assembly will now slide off the shaft with a little coaxing. The wires / washer feed tubes are long enough to pull it without disconnecting the harness or disassebly of the wiper/washer/ turn signal / headlight switch.

Once the assembly is off you will see the small screw that hold the plastic portion of the ignition switch in. Pull the connector, pull the switch and replace.

I took one completely apart like you do the Median assembly only to find the above out ... what a PITA.

Sleepin
I will be tackling mine this weekend! barf.gif
tod914
"And Bruce Patterson makes another interesting point:

What I've found out since there was only 4100 76's made they're a little different than the rest. To retract the metal steering surround that holds the ignition switch (there is no screws holding it) you insert the key like you are going to remove the tumbler,turning the key unlocks the tab thats holding it on the steering shaft,letting you pull the whole piece off, exposing the switch and the set screw for easy removal and replacement.If you dont turn the key there's no way that assembly will come off the shaft.You may want to include this info on to the tech article. Thanks Bruce Patterson"

courtesy from the bird

SLITS
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 2 2008, 10:14 PM) *

"And Bruce Patterson makes another interesting point:

What I've found out since there was only 4100 76's made they're a little different than the rest. To retract the metal steering surround that holds the ignition switch (there is no screws holding it) you insert the key like you are going to remove the tumbler,turning the key unlocks the tab thats holding it on the steering shaft,letting you pull the whole piece off, exposing the switch and the set screw for easy removal and replacement.If you dont turn the key there's no way that assembly will come off the shaft.You may want to include this info on to the tech article. Thanks Bruce Patterson"

courtesy from the bird

Ok,

Insert before removing allen head fastner ....

"Disconnect negative cable from battery"

Insert after removing allen head fastner ....

"Insert key and turn tumbler to "On" "

And he should have called it a "locking pawl", not a tab biggrin.gif

Tech article now complete shades.gif

The surround is plastic (one piece) and will slide off to the rear of the assembly if you want to expose the guts ....
Sleepin
I dig the avatar Ron!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.