Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving up to air...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
I'm thinking I'm tired of wrenching and I want to buy a set of air tools to facilitate the every day tasks and reduce the overall time it takes to do things.

Looking for recommendations for tools and air compressors.

Thanks!

C:>
davep
I have used a CP impact gun for about 25 years, and it is fantastic.
It is okay with a small (1/2 HP) compressor. However if you do sand-blasting or use an air powered sander you generally need a 230 VAC 10 HP compressor. You need to get an air tank with a drain to enable disposing of the water it will collect. Filters and driers are very useful I find. Dirty air can screw up impact guns and water will make sand-blasting or painting miserable.
type47
i'm not recommending these tools because i work (part time) at Home Depot, but their Husky brand air tools have a lifetime warranty. you don't exchange the broken tool at a HD store (like Craftsman) but they are lifetime (unlike Craftsman)
jaminM3
I was told to buy one with pistons and not the reed type. I bought 6HP Porter Cable dual piston. No complaints yet. thumb3d.gif

As far as tools, I have been using Campbell Hausfeld tools and they have been fine.
914Sixer
Buy an OIL LESS compressor. I am using a Craftsman 6 hp with 80 gal tank(continous use since 1996 with no problems). It may be overkill for what you are doing though. I use it for a little bit of everthing. I have a blast cabinet and lots of air tools. Most tools require good pressure to work properly. Buy a brand name 1/2 impact with lots of ft lbs (300 lbs+) because of the axle nuts. Most of the cheap ones will not remove lug nuts.
rfuerst911sc
First you have to figure out all the tools you want to use in the future. Once you have the list start looking at tools either in person or online to figure out how much air they require. Now you'll have a ballpark figure on how much compressor you'll need. I am a fan of oil type cast iron cylinders preferably twin cylinder. And the biggest item to have in my opinion is make it easy to find and use the tools biggrin.gif I have my compressor ( 220 volt ) right next to the outlet it plugs into. Right next to the compressor is my water seperator and air line reel with 100 feet of line on it. Everything has quick disconnects on them so it takes me 20 seconds to have everything plugged in and running. If it's a pain in the ass for you to run/use/setup your compressor and tools you will end up NOT useing them mad.gif And a impact wrench capable of 600-700 ft. lbs. in reverse is a good idea for lug nuts and rusty items. Good luck with your selection. beerchug.gif
byndbad914
I bought my little rolling Craftsman compressor around 1990 or 1991 when I started mechanic school and to help work on my hot rod at the time. I use it quite a bit tho' certainly not daily. Anyway, I have NEVER had an issue with it in the last 15-17yrs of ownership. The newer model looks like this

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...s+%26+Air+Tools

Mine doesn't look like that but specs are essentially the same. For general work with a 3/8" or 1/2" drive it is more than fine. With my cutoff wheel that I use to remove trunk floors, etc keeps the thing running non-stop and sometimes it just can't keep up, but that is the only complaint. I wouldn't paint with it.

I will probably upgrade to a big 220V one for painting as I will be trying my hand at that before too long, but as a good overall work around the house setup, my Craftsman was "cheap but good". Ammortize $150 over 15yrs of perfect reliability laugh.gif

If you think you are going to paint or run cutoff wheels/air chisels or other high volume tools, then just get a big one now. Otherwise, judging from your original post, this is just fine.
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif with the last two posts....

On great guns to get look into the Ingersol Rand line. That is what I have used for the past ten years. I am sure theor new guns are even better. I never came across a nut or bolt I couldn't get off.

Air wrenches are a little different. Most all my tools are snap-on as are the air wrenches. However, I am sure there are plenty that will do just as well for much less.
VaccaRabite
I gotta say, and I may be in the minority, I tried an air wrench, and I did not like it. Too hard to modulate the power that it is pushing the nut or bolt down. The one I had would way over-torque anything, and did not have an adjuster to set the torque lower. I returned it.

If you get an impact wrench, get one with balls. The one I bought (and also promptly returned) would not remove lugs from wheels, and was rate to 200 foot pounds. Worthless. Got both from Lowes.

I guess you could use an air wrench to remove bolts, but I just don't trust them to tighten them down.

Zach
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 2 2008, 07:31 PM) *

I gotta say, and I may be in the minority, I tried an air wrench, and I did not like it. Too hard to modulate the power that it is pushing the nut or bolt down. The one I had would way over-torque anything, and did not have an adjuster to set the torque lower. I returned it.

If you get an impact wrench, get one with balls. The one I bought (and also promptly returned) would not remove lugs from wheels, and was rate to 200 foot pounds. Worthless. Got both from Lowes.

I guess you could use an air wrench to remove bolts, but I just don't trust them to tighten them down.

Zach

That is why it is important to by the best you can afford. My air wrenches adjust, but you are supposed to just get them snug with an air wrench then finish by hand. The impact should have more than 600ft pds reverse minimum. Anything that is less isn't worth anything. Oh, I am talking about a 1/2" impact. 3/8s can be less as that would be a monster.
PeeGreen 914
These are ther ones I use and love... 3/8 is the 2112 and the 1/2 is the 2131
bigkensteele
I have a 6hp/26 gallon Craftsman compressor, and it is great for running nailing guns, but so is the 1.5 gallon Husky I go at Lowes. The Craftsman came with an air ratchet that can't remove anything that I could not remove with my fingers. Only a little better on tightening.

I tried some sand-blasting, and it really couldn't keep up.

I bought a cheap set of tools at Sam's Club because they were Devilbliss (may have missed the spelling). I got what I payed for. Could not even remove lug nuts with the impact.

My thoughts are: buy a small, carry-around compressor for minor stuff around the home such as nailing and airing tires. Get a big-ass, dual stage 220 if you really want to start blasting and painting.

After reading the above posts, I will be buying a better impact gun.
davep
My CP (Chicago Pneumatics) is a pro brand and was well worth the investment. You basically use it to remove nuts and bolts. When fastening you need to use a torque wrench anyway. On major tools like the compressor and impact wrench that you tend to use constantly over 20 years it makes no sense to cheap out. Buy the best that you can afford. Be sure to get a good set of six-point impact sockets, and extensions if you will need them, since ordinary sockets and extensions are not suited to the task.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.