Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need info from original 1975 1.8L and 2.0L cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
I am closing in on the hunt for decoding the engine tin codes again.

If you have an original 1975 914 with an original 1.8L or 2.0L engine, please tell me the following about your car:

*Engine size
*California or 49-state car? (from emission label)
*3-digit engine tin code

Please post photos of emission label above relay plate and engine tin code

Here is an example of the engine tin marking from another 914 for reference...

Muy bien gracias. biggrin.gif
MartyYeoman
Jeff,
My engine tin has been painted so many times those numbers are long gone.
Marty
Cevan
Here is the engine tin (the driver's side piece):

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cevan
This is from just above the relay board on the driver' side, right above where the oil cutouts would go for a 6 cylinder oil tank.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Thanks Chris, those are great. Your emissions label is missing, but do you know if the car is California or 49-state? Is their a windshield sticker that would tell you?

I was hoping some of the other 1.8L owners would jump in.
davep
icon_bump.gif
Krimee Ariver
Jeff,
I have 3 late model 2.0's in my garage. They are all kind of buried, but I'll see if I can grab some numbers for you. I know one is a California car, but I have NO idea what the other two are from.
What do you think the numbers mean?
JeffBowlsby
Well, we would like to know what they mean too, they are one of the last great mysteries of the 914...we *think* they may indicate an internal project number or a market-specific engine group number, but we need more data. Any help anyone can provide is VERY much appreciated.

PS Some of the 1975 cars have the emissions labels mounted to the fan housing, not in the usual spot on the chassis sidewall above the relay plate.
davep
icon_bump.gif
ConeDodger
Jeff,
I will edit this when I get the rest of the information you are asking for. My car was sold to me with the window sticker from the original sale and I am the second owner so I know this much:

914 2.0 liter
California car. (sold at Sierra Porsche Audi in Riverside) had the Cat and smog intact when I got it.
tin from original engine before 2270 is on the garage floor. I will get you the code tonight.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Would they be M-codes like what VW used?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jan 11 2008, 09:19 PM) *

Would they be M-codes like what VW used?

the 914 (and porsche in general) used M-Codes as well. there's a comprehensive list of them out there somewhere. i'm guessing jeff has that list.

the codes on the engine tin are not part of the M-Code list for the 914 ...
bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.