Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coilovers vs. torsion bars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbergtho
Can anyone recommend an economical way to upgrade to coilovers?
orange914
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jan 2 2008, 09:43 PM) *

Can anyone recommend an economical way to upgrade to coilovers?

buy an old vette smile.gif
drive-ability
Hey,
I really can't be much help but I have looked into this myself and found with the factory shock towers theres not much room for springs or any alignment adjustments.
Most all coil over setups I've seen have been on track cars which have modified shock towers and real heavy springs. I'm not sure theres room given the diameter of the shock and the overall spring size.
Here is a couple of links, I contacted the air cooled classics but didn't get a good vibe and passed. I didn't want to install heavy springs my reasons were to soften up the ride and add street driveablity.
Let me know what you find out !

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....lover+coil+over

http://www.aircooledclassics.biz/parts1.shtml
woobn8r
I also looked in to this, and couldn't find a good enough reason to make the switch...the only benefit is the variance/availability of alternate spring rates.

I figure once it's set up...it's set up, no need to change...and therefore no need for coil overs.
neo914-6
I have some 4" sleeves off my old Koni's I'm selling. You'll need to buy springs and top mounts.

The benefit is fine adjustment (probably quicker and easier). There are also more coil spring rates available than for t-bars...
SirAndy
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jan 3 2008, 01:51 PM) *

The benefit is fine adjustment (probably quicker and easier). There are also more coil spring rates available than for t-bars...

quicker than turning a 11mm wrench ??? confused24.gif without having to jack the car up ??? confused24.gif

the argument about more spring rates available i can buy, but i still would have to ask:

WHY?

popcorn[1].gif Andy
John
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 3 2008, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jan 3 2008, 01:51 PM) *

quicker than turning a 11mm wrench ??? confused24.gif without having to jack the car up ??? confused24.gif

the argument about more spring rates available i can buy, but i still would have to ask:

WHY?

popcorn[1].gif Andy

1. Weight.
2. Higher spring rates.
3. Cool Factor

Just my opinions. I'm too cheap to have the desire to convert from what works perfectly well for my applications.
Joe Ricard
Ya know when I look up uner the car at the front strut housing and tire clearance There ain't much clearance. even with the dust cover removed.

Ok so I am running a 225/50-15 on 8" wide wheels with a 5" back space
Any bigger backspace and the scrub radious gets to be excessive.
I agree WHY? and more importantly HOW??????

The only way to do it and actually gain any handling benefits is to go double A arm and a different spindle like from a 928 or something. (read huge and heavy)

I am sure there are lighter versions of this design like from a Japanese car. Uh oh now I got me thinking again.

PeeGreen 914
One of the quickest 914s in our region has coil overs, but it isn't really a 914 anymore. It just has the outter appearence of a 914. The setup they used is very expensive as well. Everything on the car is expersive though. I wish I could have it for free biggrin.gif I have asked but Leeds just laughed at me sad.gif
championgt1
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jan 3 2008, 06:19 PM) *

One of the quickest 914s in our region has coil overs, but it isn't really a 914 anymore. It just has the outter appearence of a 914. The setup they used is very expensive as well. Everything on the car is expersive though. I wish I could have it for free biggrin.gif I have asked but Leeds just laughed at me sad.gif

av-943.gif
wbergtho
Sounds like there is no huge improvement in handling with a coilover setup. Also, I'm running 245/40/18 tires on 18"x8" 996TT front wheels and I may run into dimensional problems with my tires rubbing. I already see a small interference running these tires with my inner wheel well (I hear 20 year old kids suggesting I put a set of "22's" on my car. I tell them they are heavier...look dumber...and just plain won't fit. LOL! Perhaps I would see a better gain in handling if I install front monoball upper strut mounts and do away with the factory squishy rubber. My car is already so barbaric that a little extra noise and harshness won't bother me at all. What I'm trying to do is set the car up to handle as well as I can....and I'm willing to sacrifice streetability. A better front sway bar would work wonders too. I'm currently running a stock OEM 930 front suspension with the stock 930 non adjustable sway bar mounted in rubber. What do you guys think would give me the best bang for my buck? Every year I try to make the car better and I think it has enough power (530HP). It handles great but I'm not finished... I want it to handle even better than it currently does. It does nicely in autocross and big tracks now that I've cured the understeer problems with stiffer rear 200/500 progressive Hypercoils in the rear.

Thanks for any advice!
SirAndy
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jan 3 2008, 06:52 PM) *

What do you guys think would give me the best bang for my buck?

Tarett ...
http://www.tarett.com/items/914-products/list.htm

bye1.gif Andy

IPB Image
RON S.

My next goodie upgrade for my teener will be a full on coilover upgrade.

What I'm gonna be hunting for is a used set of bilstein RSR , raised spindle, coilover strut set.

Then I'm gonna send them off to TrueChoice to have them converted over to a Koni double adjustable insert setup.

The get the ERP crossover and arms.

I'm guessing about 4k + for the setup,so it'll take some time to pull it off.

It's something to shoot for. biggrin.gif

Ron

Richard Casto
My understanding is that one of the main benefits of coilover vs. torsion bar is that with the coilover you get more options with regards to spring rates (springs are generally cheap). So unless you are going from track to track and tweaking rates at each does it really make sense for a non-race car other than coolness factor?
woobn8r
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 3 2008, 10:05 PM) *

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jan 3 2008, 06:52 PM) *

What do you guys think would give me the best bang for my buck?

TIRES are always the best bang for your buck.
But don't buy cheap stuff....as you really do get what you pay for....

Try some Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, Bridgestone Potenza RE01R, BFG G-Force....or even Good Year F1, Toyo Proxes RA1, Yokohama A032R, Hoosier....and many other choices depending on your useage.

After tires, bushings and bearings are next in line....then, adjustable anti roll bars as they are for fine tuning once you have the correct spring rates for your application. And as far as ARBs go..... adjustability is more important than being big, so you don't need huge bars.
wbergtho
I have the tire issue solved. I bought a truck load of used Hoosier roadrace rubber from a guy who puts less that 10-12 laps on them @ Brainerd. I think the next step will be The Tarret Swat bar that Sir Andy is suggesting (have been looking at that one for a while) and a pair of Tarret monoballs.
neo914-6
Hey Bill,

Smart bars are also good and not cheap. I suggest the harder top shock rubber before the monoballs at 1/4 the cost.

BTW, Chris Julian and Elmer (700hp) V8 914s ran RSR type coil over fronts.
sww914
I'm thinking of going to coilovers for one reason. My car is as stiff as I can get it with the available torsion bars and stock style rear springs. It handles well now, but the sway is pretty much at the limit, I'm almost bottoming out the suspension. When I go to bigger, stickier tires they will overwhelm the suspension.

sww914
Sorry, I forgot the link for cheap coilover stuff.
http://www.colemanracing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=49
HAM Inc
Check this out.
http://www.raetech.com/Suspension/Suspension.php
lotus_65
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Jan 5 2008, 01:39 PM) *

shades.gif cool

my hometown, too!
E-Man
Another source (see bottom of page):

http://rebelracingproducts.com/Suspension/Steering.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.