Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6 conversion questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I'm starting this thread to address a bunch of flywheel questions I've read in other posts.

Brad stated that a stock 3.2 flywheel can be used for a 3.6 to 915 application. If this is correct, I have the following questions:

1) If I purchase a new 3.2 flywheel, do I use the emitter wheel from the 3.6 flywheel or do I have to purchase a 3.2 emitter? The new flywheels come without emitter or ring gear. (I see Ron turned his 3.6 emitter down approx .080, was this inner or outer diameter? I have a machine shop so this is an option for me)

2) What ring gear do I need for a 3.2 flywheel on a 3.6/915??

3) Once I have a complete 3.2 flywheel assembly, what do I do for a clutch/pressure plate (this is for a street car).

4) What do you do for a clutch linkage.......cable, hydro??

Thanks in advance for any guidance! pray.gif
RON S.
As Brad has said a 3.2 flywheel will work,I'm gonna go by a local place called Autometrics Motorsports after work today to see if I can pick up a used 3.2 flywheel.
1. I'm gonna get one to compair the weight.
I'm sure Brad was right about the fit cause the 3.2 was an 9 bolt,and it had a 915 box,and it had a timer ring for the dme.
2.The timer ring on the 993 flywheels were pressed on,a brass hammer will tap it right off.That made it easy to turn down to the O.D. of an early 911 starter ring.I'm suprised none have ever fallen off on their own just by operating the car.
3.I'm intrigued by Brad's info that it maybe possible to get an organic clutch thats 5.5"O.D. w/a 7/8x20spline center hub.I was really bummed out when I realized my error in not learning earlier street discs weren't avail.I wolud really like to use the setup.
4.I'll take some pics tonight of the flywheel off the engine so others can critique the design.

Ron
rick 918-S
I had a thought on the disc thing. the 928 has a small diameter double organic disc setup from the factory. I'll dig up my stock 928 stuff to see what the diameter is. I want in on the new thread with flywheel questions. I have a few of my own. I need to know what size the crank end of the 3.2 flywheel is. And can it be used with the 914 stock axle? The 928 is a 9 bolt. Even has the same fasteners. I just don't know what size the crank end is....
Brad Roberts
Ron,

If you can call me tomorrow.. I will find out how the organic disc solution is coming. The company working on it is a couple miles from the shop.

650-364-6234 any time after 8:15 am west coast time.

B
RON S.
Hey Brad,
Here's some flywheel pics,off the engine.

Ron
RON S.
RON S.
RON S.
RON S.
RON S.
Last one #5
East coaster
Ron/Brad, FYI - I just received my new 3.2 flywheel and it will not work with the 3.6 without pretty extensive mods, if at all? headbang.gif

The emitter ring is built into the 3.2 flywheel and it is totally different than the 3.6 emitter. The 3.2 has equal spacing between all teeth and is in the wrong plane for the 3.6 sensor. The spacing between the 3.2 teeth is approx the same as the starter ring tooth spacing. For those who know the 3.6, it is much different.

Well Shit! Now I have a new flywheel that is worthless..I should've called Patrick Motor Sports, they seem to be the only ones who know how to put a 3.6 in a 914 and make it work!

I'm try to assess whether it's even possible to machine off the 3.2 emitter ring and somehow machine the 3.6s ring to fit the 3.2 flywheel. At first glance it doesn't seem real possible, but I'll take a second look. For anyone else attempting a 3.6 conversion, just suck it up and call PMS to get a flywheel.

I'll post some pics later for reference...............
Steve
PMS makes a special flywheel for 915/3.6 applications.
For 901 applications he just resells the KEP conversion.
I'm running a KEP adapter on my stock 3.2 flywheel with my 901 trans.
Since I'm running the stock DME injection I had to go with there adapter on my stock 3.2 flywheel versus buying there one piece flywheel without the DME ring.
KEP might also have a flywheel for 915/3.6 applications.
KEP can be reached at 661-272-1147
KEP stands for Kennedy Engineered Products.

Regards,

Steve
Steve
What 3.2 flywheel did you buy?
87-89 is for a G50 Trans not for a 915.
My DME ring is bolted on.
I don't know if that helps or not.

Steve
East coaster
Here's a pic showing the difference between the 3.2 DME ring and the 3.6 DME ring. The 3.6 spacing and teeth are huge compared to the 3.2.........
East coaster
Here's the DME sensor to ring alignment. The emitter ring needs to be set back about 3/8 - 1/2" to line up with the sensor......
East coaster
The only way I can see to make this work is to machine off the 3.2 DME ring and machine a shoulder on the front of the flywheel to accept the 3.6's ring. The problem with doing that is there is very little material to machine away without encroaching on the pressure plate mounting holes. In this pic you can see that the 3.6's DME ring inside diameter is almost the same as the diameter of the pressure plate bolt pattern. Not much room for machining?
East coaster
Steve, I ordered an '86 Carerra flywheel. It's part # 93010203301. I though this should be the correct flywheel for a 915??
East coaster
Steve, I called KEP when I started investigating the 3.6 parts and I swear their Janitor must have answered the phone! The guy I talked to said they don't do flywheels, only conversion plates for mating engines and trannys. I thought this was wrong, but the guy was very insistant that they did not do flywheels..........my luck, probably a disgruntled employee or something??
RON S.
Hey Easter,
Ya outa give the guy at Vertex a call for your flwheel.
He may be able to get you one pretty close to what I paid for mine.
I think his name was Carlos.
He had gotten the one I bought for someone else,but they'd backed out of it and left him w/it.
If he'll get ya one,it'll be cheaper than PMS for sure.
Ron
East coaster
It would be great if I could get the correct flywheel from Vertex, they're the ones I got the 3.2 flywheel from and maybe they'd take it back and give me the right one??
Steve
East Coaster,

86 should work fine.
Its 87 and newer that's designed for the G50.
It's been two years since my car has been apart.
I can't remember what the DME ring looked like.
The factory injection is priceless once you get it installed and working.
My stock Euro DME 3.2 has worked flawlessly.
Turn the key and go.
I loved the sound of the carbs but they are more trouble than there worth.
Sorry to hear about your problems with KEP.
Beware of there airheaded female receptionist.
She pretends like she knows what she's doing.
Twice I ended up with the wrong parts.
They did send me a complete flywheel the first time, but it didn't support the DME sensor so I had to send it back and go with the adapter ring that works on the stock flywheel.
I know the PMS solution for the 915 is expensive but it works and I don't know of anyone that is unhappy with it.

regards,

Steve
East coaster
So I guess my options are as follows:

1) Contact Vertex and see if the will take my useless flywheel in return for a custom 3.6/915 wheel.

2) Sell the 3.2 flywheel on evil-bay get something from KEP (if I can get past the bubble head receptionist wink.gif )

3) Evil-bay the 3.2 flywheel and tuck my tail and call PMS.

4) Take a shot at machining the 3.2 wheel to accept the 3.6 DME ring. Looks to be on the edge of feasible, but once you start it's all a paper weight if it doesn't work!

Thanks for the info guys! I wasn't looking for info as much as I wanted to provide info for the next guy (poor bastard) attempting this, but as usual this bbs rocks!
East coaster
Contacted Vertex and they were very helpful. They have the correct 3.6 to 915 flywheel in stock and will exchange the 3.2 for the correct one (plus about 200 bucks.....ouch!). It is a custom conversion flywheel that incorporates the 3.6 DME timing ring to the 3.2 sized flywheel. The 3.2 clutch kit will work with this new flywheel. If anyone else needs to cross this bridge give Vertex a call, they have the right stuff.

FYI.........
RON S.
It's probably the same piece he sold me in Jan.
It's a fully machined piece,nicely done,and it'll weigh out on a digital scale at about 9.9 lbs.
For 400 bucks,thats not bad.
Ron
East coaster
Ordered one of James Adams (Rennshift) shifters today....Yeah! I'll post pics of how to hook this up to the Wevo 915 when I get all the goodies and figure it out. Stay tuned........
Brad Roberts
This flywheel thing has me baffled. I dont recall ordering anything special. I have never bought from PMS (and dont really need to with my resources)..

Sorry about the confusion. I need to go back through my notes and see what I actually ordered. I cant imagine that Vertex has anything different than what anyone else can get considering they ate typical parts pushers.

Oh.. EastCoaster.. your quote included a WEVO 915 shifter. I'm not even sure James shifter has enough movement to shift a 915 box unless he has a specific 915 shifter assembly now. It is the side to side movement that is shorter on a 901 than it is on a 915. The 901 needs something like 31mm side to side and a 930 box needs 32mm.. and the 915 is more than both of them.

Your case should be back from the machine shop later this week. Then the assembly starts. I still need to show you the video of the pinion race.

B
East coaster
Brad, I ordered the 915 version of the rennshift from James. It is specific for the 915 and hopefully this will work. I never received any kinda quote, so I never knew the Wevo shifter was part of the deal. Can you re-send the quote??

If James' shifter will work OK, I'd like to stay with it. If it won't, please let me know and I'll see if James will cancel the order for me.
JWest
The first shifter I ever sold was for a '79 SC (and I have sold many more to 915 equiped 911s since then). So yes, it works with a 915 unless there is something weird about the WEVO linkage that increases the throw.
siverson
And just FYI, I use James' shifter on my 915 box with a Vellios kit without any problem either.

-Steve
Brad Roberts
Nothing weird. I didnt know you had a 915 shifter also. I quote people 5500$ for the WEVO setup which includes the tranny. You provided the tranny. I have installed enough of James shifters it should work fine as long as James setup changes motion like a 70-71 tailshift 914.

B
JWest
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 24 2004, 10:45 AM)
I have installed enough of James shifters it should work fine as long as James setup changes motion like a 70-71 tailshift 914.

B

Just so there is no confusion, yes it does.
RON S.
Hey Easter,
Ya know the sad part of your debacle of trying different options to come up with a cost effective flywheel conversion to yours and my 3.6l
After you've bought your flywheel from Vertex,someone has posted a 3.6 conversion flywheel on e-bay mad.gif .A brand new never used and lighter weight at that.For get this,a buy it now price of 299.95. headbang.gif
I'd post the link,but I haven't figured out how to do it.
I don't know about you,but shit like that is the story of my life with my project.It happens to me everytime.
Ron
Britain Smith
I saw that flywheel on ebay also...here it is:

Porsche 3.6 to 915 conversion flywheel

IPB Image
East coaster
Yup!..............Story of my life!!!
East coaster
Received my (correct) flywheel from Vertex and it is a Patrick Motorsports unit. The quality looks great.

Just FYI........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.