Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carb fuel pump placement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slackin' at work
OK, my car is currently dual carb'd and is running a Facet fuel pump up-front
under the tank.

Im eventually going to go back to FI but in the meantime I want to replace the
plastic fuel lines (with tangerine's stainless), replace the front rubber lines, and
add a front swaybar (sorry CW people).

I only want to take the hood and tank off once. I want to enjoy my car
as-is this spring. meaning I probably won't do the conversion back to FI
until summer.

So with that said, I want to run a rotory-style pump (from CB Performance)
so I can ditch the Facet.

And finally my question...
do you think this pump will work behind the lines close to where the original
pump will go. I know they say under the tank because those pumps are
pushers and not pullers... but if you think about it, with our front mounted
tank there shouldn't be any issues.

thoughts?
ruddyboys
I replaced the Facet pump 3 years ago with the CB performance rotary, it is in the same position as the original FI pump, and have had no problems. The reason they put the fuel pump up front I believe was to stop vapor lock.
boxstr
I run a Mallory rotary pump, for a SBC V8 with holley 4 barrel carb., in the front trunk because they pushers and not pullers.
CCL
rhodyguy
keeping the pump lower than the supply outlet on the tank, you should have no problem with the cb pump. you just want to avoid making the pump pull the fuel uphill.

k
SirAndy
i had the CB rotary in the stock location in the back, never had any problems with it ...

bye1.gif Andy
Joe Owensby
I just mounted a CB pump below the tank, on the driver's side below the sway bar. This is about the same location as the pump on newer 914's. I used this in conjunction with Chris' SST lines. I am running carbs now, so I only used one line, but I have both SST lines through the tunnel, as I plan to go to a newer version of fuel injection sometime soon, maybe the one Jake sells. By the way, if you go to FI, then I don't think the CB pump will work, as it is only about 3 1/2 PSI. I am thinking that if I later go to FI, I will need a new high pressure pump. JoeO
slackin' at work
thanks for the replies guys.

joe, I wasn't planning on running the cb pump with the fuel injection... just moving it to the back until I switch it all back to stock FI. that way I only have to mess with the gas tank and front lines once.

beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.