Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What lenght wheel studs are needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgara962
What length wheel studs are you guys using with 1" spacers on your front hubs?

I have a five lug conversion, flares, 7" Fuchs and am currently running 1/4" spacers on the fronts, but want to fill out the a flares with some 1" spacers instead. Please advise.

Thanks.
SirAndy
do yourself a favor and just add 100mm studs front and rear.

trust me, i went through the whole spiel (sp?), 50 something, then 74 and after all that, i finally came to my senses and installed the 100mm studs.
should have done that the first time around.

it's not too late, you can still learn from my mistakes ...
smash.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif I have 75s on mine with 1" spacers and it is as close as you want it to be. Should have got the bigger ones like Andy says.
jgara962
Now I have another question. I was looking at it today, and would like some opinions on what is easier - use the tap out method to get the old studs out, or just un-bolting the hub. It almost looks easier to unbolt the hub and take it somewhere to have the old studs pressed out and new studs pressed in. Am I missing something that I can't see by just looking at it? Remember, this is a five lug conversion.
PeeGreen 914
I just removed the hub and pressed them out. Easier to do with less risk of damaging something.
McMark
Tapping them out isn't too complicated. Or unbolt the hub and bring them by here and I'll help.
Eric_Shea
Yank'em bring them to McBurger and put in 100's (or 74's... read on)

The "basic" rule when adding spacers is to take a factory 45mm stud and add the depth of the spacer and go with the next available size stud. If you are going racing, PCA rule book states a distance equal to the width of the stud (14mm) should protrude beyond the end of the open face nut. So... with open faced nuts and racing rules staring you in the face, add an additional 14mm to the required length.

Math:

45mm
+ 1" (25/26mm)
= 74mm stud (next size available)

Now... I have that combo with 22mm spacers on the front and there is "no" extension past the open nut at this time. Time to get new studs.

With 100mm studs you should have 20-22mm extending beyond an open nut.

If you plan to use the factory alloy nuts then 74mm would be fine.
orange914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 3 2008, 11:54 AM) *

do yourself a favor and just add 100mm studs front and rear.

trust me, i went through the whole spiel (sp?), 50 something, then 74 and after all that, i finally came to my senses and installed the 100mm studs.
should have done that the first time around.

it's not too late, you can still learn from my mistakes ...
smash.gif Andy

andy
would any of those studs fit my 4 bolt to convert it to studs? want to sell 20 of um'? western spokes no spacers

mike
jgara962
Thanks. Everyone is a huge help as always. I'll probably just remove the hub and have them pressed out. Thanks Mark, I'll be seeing you soon, plus I still owe you for the sweatshirt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.