Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Local newspaper story about my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racunniff
A friend of mine mentioned my electric 914 conversion to one of our local newspaper editors and they sent a reporter out to write a story. You can find it here. It will disappear within a week, so look fast!

My blog will be around forever though smile.gif
Lou W
Very cool. beerchug.gif
Spoke
Nice job!

We'll all be using alternative energy in the future when gas prices go to $5, $10, $15, $20 per gallon. When this happens we'll all be selling our gas guzzling vehicles for 10 cents on the dollar just like Cadillacs were in the 70's.

We had our wake up call in 72 with the first gas crisis then promptly fell back asleep in the 80's, 90's, up til today.

The funny thing about this is your car could probably out pace my 1.7L.
wheelo
Dude ...You ROCK !

I wanted to do this to my teener 17years ago ...

Wish they engineered lighter batteries & less pricey conversions...

where did you get your kit? Nor-Cal ....

smoke.gif

- M
orange914
way cool! smile.gif
rick 918-S
Nice. beerchug.gif
racunniff
QUOTE(wheelo @ Jan 3 2008, 10:05 PM) *

where did you get your kit? Nor-Cal ....

smoke.gif

- M

The kit is from Electro Automotive in Felton, CA. And, I too wish there were lighter battery opportunities. I'm hoping that there will be more good choices in a couple of years when it is time to replace them.
highways
There was a company promising super capacitor batteries. No chemicals, low weight, indefinite life, 10 minute charge. Whenever a new battery technology manages to squeeze under the radar of the major auto and gas companies- gas will be a thing of the past.

Nice nine-volt-teen. beerchug.gif

Anybody catch this movie? Who Killed the Electric Car?

Scott Carlberg
I've got PORSCHE as one of my Yahoo Alerts!

and your article was mentioned... I just signed on to share the same link you have and you're already HERE!

Congrats on the recognition - THAT is Cool!
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif

are you in touch with Otmar?
http://www.evcl.com/914/

he works with all the top of the line stuff for a living. if there's anything new, he'll know ....

btw. he hasn't updated his website in a while, moved up to oregon since, but he should answer emails ...
bye1.gif Andy
Bartlett 914
Nice Job Ross.

I like to think an electric 914 is in my future. Too many projects right now.
tdgray
Anybody catch the fact that the care used to be aubergine (purple in the story) biggrin.gif
Demick
Very cool!

But I gotta ask. 120 miles between charges??? Everything I've seen from similar types of conversions is more in the range of 20-40 miles.

Can you actually get anywhere near 120 miles under normal driving conditions?

Demick
racunniff
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jan 4 2008, 08:18 AM) *

Anybody catch the fact that the care used to be aubergine (purple in the story) biggrin.gif

The original paint code was yellow. If it had been yellow when I got it, it would *still* be yellow. Some PO had decided that purple was a pretty color and did a crappy sprayover barf.gif (I suspect after an accident). The reporter asked me, "why did you change the color" and I said, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand the answer" biggrin.gif

You can see the before and after pix here
racunniff
QUOTE(Demick @ Jan 4 2008, 08:55 AM) *

Very cool!

But I gotta ask. 120 miles between charges??? Everything I've seen from similar types of conversions is more in the range of 20-40 miles.

Can you actually get anywhere near 120 miles under normal driving conditions?

Demick

Like usual in the newspaper industry, quotes are not in context. I told them that the makers of the kit claim 120 miles. It's been cold, so I have not pushed it, but the farthest I've gone is about 40 so far. I think it's got 80 in it easily, though.
Demick
80 would be excellent!

Other quotes I like:
"The car regenerates energy"

"Idling, the car is absolutely silent"
racunniff
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 3 2008, 11:30 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

are you in touch with Otmar?
http://www.evcl.com/914/

he works with all the top of the line stuff for a living. if there's anything new, he'll know ....

btw. he hasn't updated his website in a while, moved up to oregon since, but he should answer emails ...
bye1.gif Andy

I've followed his website, but have not been in contact with him. I *have* been in contact with another 914world member - TimK - whose blog can be found here. I think ours are the only two functional AC 914s in the world right now. And his is out of commission for tranny work sad.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(racunniff @ Jan 4 2008, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(tdgray @ Jan 4 2008, 08:18 AM) *

The original paint code was yellow. If it had been yellow when I got it, it would *still* be yellow. Some PO had decided that purple was a pretty color and did a crappy sprayover barf.gif (I suspect after an accident). The reporter asked me, "why did you change the color" and I said, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand the answer" biggrin.gif

Ohhh Dude... I'm suprised you did not shoot the thing on sight... that is a nasty color
racunniff
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jan 4 2008, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(racunniff @ Jan 4 2008, 12:17 PM) *

Ohhh Dude... I'm suprised you did not shoot the thing on sight... that is a nasty color

The price was right... and it's all better now after enough sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif
AZ914
Congrats on the article! Looks like you have a nice ride there.
Slider
I hope to see that thing around town i want to check it out.. that is cool! congrats !

i saw it in the paper too and saved the article..
daveyboybadion
I would like to build one of these for commuting, but the initial cost is a little daunting. Thing is I could recharge at work for free, but have to put the dinoburner back on the road first. Anyway, a very cool build...daveyboy
Gint
That's cool Ross. I'd like to see that one of these days. I guess we'll have to do a northern run since you're range is limited. idea.gif
racunniff
QUOTE(daveyboybadion @ Jan 5 2008, 08:04 AM) *

I would like to build one of these for commuting, but the initial cost is a little daunting. Thing is I could recharge at work for free, but have to put the dinoburner back on the road first. Anyway, a very cool build...daveyboy

You could probably reduce the cost substantially if you bought the individual components yourself and fabricated the things like battery racks, boxes, etc. Any one on this board with experience grinding, welding, etc. would have more than enough skill.
racunniff
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 5 2008, 08:57 AM) *

That's cool Ross. I'd like to see that one of these days. I guess we'll have to do a northern run since you're range is limited. idea.gif

That would be a blast - let me know and we'll get it set up! beer.gif
racunniff
QUOTE(Slider @ Jan 4 2008, 10:37 PM) *

I hope to see that thing around town i want to check it out.. that is cool! congrats !

i saw it in the paper too and saved the article..

Drop me a PM if you want to come by and see it some weekend
Gint
QUOTE(racunniff @ Jan 5 2008, 09:52 AM) *

Cllick the Colorado-914 link in my signature. driving.gif

Edit: Doh! You're on there already. But we never hear from you. idea.gif
racunniff
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 5 2008, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(racunniff @ Jan 5 2008, 09:52 AM) *

Cllick the Colorado-914 link in my signature. driving.gif

Edit: Doh! You're on there already. But we never hear from you. idea.gif

Been too dang busy with the sawzall-smiley.gif and the welder.gif but now I should have more time for driving.gif - I'll resolve to connect with y'all more this year.

Hijacking my own thread - I've got a video up on Youtube now about the car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8icjqlXI3g
banger
The car looks like fun, and the video was interesting. Too bad you have to run lead acid. You might want to think of using some NiMH batteries from a Prius, since they are lighter, and will last much longer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.