Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: to empty my tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
What do you think?

The hand pump sucks too slow.

What if I take a spare fuel pump, some spare hose and a couple electical leads and this to siphon off my tank for removal...

Is this a stupid idea?

Will I end up on the news?
blitZ
I use a cheap siphon from my local parts store. It's slow, but works fine.
VaccaRabite
I used a siphon to a 5 gallon gas can (and then put the gas into my Suby). It was not the fastest way to do it, but it was much more controlled, and I think it cost me all of about $5.

And I was later able to use the siphon to remove all the water from my washing machine after it broke down when full - 3 times. :mad:

No matter what you do, you are going to have as much as a gallon or so at the bottom of the tank when you finally cut the gas lines to remove the tank. Have a container on hand.

Zach
SGB
It might not be as easy for an FI car, but I disconnected the fuel line at the engine, got my son to hold it in a gas jug, and turned on the ignition to run the fuel pump until the tank was empty.
Allan
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jan 4 2008, 07:13 AM) *

I use a cheap siphon from my local parts store. It's slow, but works fine.

agree.gif 8 bucks from Harbor Freight. Took about 30 minutes to drain 8 or 9 gallons...
type11969
I've used a facet pump to pump gas back into my bus from a 5 gallon gas can (side of the bus too close to the wall to pour the gas in from the can), takes no time at all. Secure the gas lines well, put a filter before the pump (if you care about the pump), leave nothing exposed on the wiring leads and you will be fine. May want to secure the pump to a piece of wood since it does like to dance around if just sitting on a concrete floor.

-Chris
rjames
It might not be as easy for an FI car, but I disconnected the fuel line at the engine, got my son to hold it in a gas jug, and turned on the ignition to run the fuel pump until the tank was empty.

agree.gif

It's the same for FI cars. If your tank is in the car, just connect the exit end of your fuel pump to some plastic hose from home depot and run out into the tank of another vehicle and turn the key. Unless your gas is bad you might as well just save yourself the hassle of emptying it into a container just to empty it out again into another car. Detailed instructions are on Pellican, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell. Just make sure you turn the ignition off when there's no more gas or you'll burn out your pump.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 4 2008, 07:05 AM) *

What do you think?

i always let the stock pump do the work ...
shades.gif Andy
bperry
And if you have FI, you can use the relay board jumper trick to force the
fuel pump to run when the engine is not.

See the Fuel Pump for Carbs Tech Article if you aren't familiar with this jumper.

Just be careful about your Electronic ignition or coil while running the pump with
the Ignition key on. Some can fry if the engine happend to stop with the points
engaged or the electronic module enable by the magnet sensor.
It would be best to disconnect the ignition system.
I'd disconnect the coil at a minimum.

But depending on how much gas you have by the time you read all these posts
and rig up something, the gas could have drained out from the fuel lines
in the lower engine compartment by simple gravity.

--- bill
SirAndy
QUOTE(bperry @ Jan 4 2008, 10:53 AM) *

And if you have FI, you can use the relay board jumper trick to force the
fuel pump to run when the engine is not.

See the Fuel Pump for Carbs Tech Article if you aren't familiar with this jumper.

Just be careful about your Electronic ignition or coil while running the pump with
the Ignition key on. Some can fry if the engine happend to stop with the points
engaged or the electronic module enable by the magnet sensor.
It would be best to disconnect the ignition system.
I'd disconnect the coil at a minimum.

agree.gif this works great on a FI car ...
balljoint
If you leave it parked near my place someone will just empty the tank for you over night. sad.gif

Easiest is gravity siphon, then your hand pump to finish the job.
John
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 4 2008, 07:05 AM) *

What do you think?

The hand pump sucks too slow.

What if I take a spare fuel pump, some spare hose and a couple electical leads and this to siphon off my tank for removal...

Is this a stupid idea?

Will I end up on the news?

You could do that.

I made a fuel pump siphon that we still take with us to the track. We used to run out of fuel and "stole" our gas on occasion from the tow vehicle.

Dad got tired of getting a mouthful of gas so I built the fuel pump version. I even put a plug on it that utilizes the trailer plug for power and ground.

Which car?

If it is yours or Erik's, you could hotwire the fuel pump and pump into a can. On the 3.2, you can disconnect the fuel filter and attach a hose. On the 4-cyl, you can pull the hose for the cold start injector and add hose there.

Or you could do like me and pull it out full of gas and proceed to spill gas all over everything.

Gas seems to feel good in open wounds and in eyes.

Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.