Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TEMP GAUGE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ray Warren
is there an aftermarket sending unit that
will work with the factory gauge?
thread size is not important.
Mueller
you have to use the correct sending unit, there is no "universal" sending unit due to the different ranges (resistance) of the gages

I think the normal parts pushers have the sending unit for $14 or so.........
campbellcj
Probably a better option is to get a new VDO gauge ("cockpit" series) + sender. The stock non-numbered "mystery gauges" were probably not very accurate even 30 years ago and sure don't tell ya much...
Joe Bob
Chris is right....the old un numbered ones sucked in the 70s and the age has not made them un suck..... blink.gif
redshift
With guitars, 30 years is good, 50 is better... obviously, I should stick with guitars.

smilie_pokal.gif

M
Ray Warren
VDO gauge ("cockpit" series) + sender

do these gauges look like the original?
fuch toy
Yup....but they actually work. BTW...they are slightly smaller but they supply a reducer ring.
tracks914
I see some temp guages are for the heads and some for the oil.
Where would one put the oil temp sending unit on a 1.7?
If I remove the sending unit from my head to attempt to calibrate it, should it go back in with some sort of non hardening sealant to displace the air?
Can I buy a sending unit that will work with the new (to me but old)consol gauge that I bought a few months ago?
Tx
Doug
Joe Bob
Stock ones use a sender that is under the engine....aftermarket ones use dip stick senders. Oil Pressure senders tee off the sender for the idiot light. Head temps usually have a ring around a spark plug.....
garyh
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jan 5 2004, 07:03 PM)
Where would one put the oil temp sending unit on a 1.7?

Replace the drain plug with a VDO 323-055 sender.

You don't need the drain plug. You want to clean the screen when you change the oil anyway...

Prior Discussion right here on 914world.com
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I replaced my old console gauges with , VDO Oil temp used orginal taco plate location for sender,Oil pressure gauge, and voltage . got every thing from The Bird . It was the best investment i have ever made,( for piece of mind). Do it you won't regret it!!
Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
Steve Thacker
Hey does the oil temp sender for the 1.7 work on a 2.0?
Also is there a test to see if the oil temp sender is functioning?

Thanks!!!
campbellcj
This is not a close-up but shows what the new gauge mentioned above looks like when installed in the stock 73 center console..

IPB Image
makinson1
Since I sold my old console with the VDOs I replaced them all with the Mallory cheap gauges that look like the AutoMeter Sport-Comp gauges. I found that the Mallory sender screwed right in where the stock one went (10mm is real close to 1/4" NPT ?). The stock one worked but read a little low. Who cares? It's all relative. left side is cold motor. Somewhere in the middle is a happy motor. All the way to the right is good reason to come in for a landing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.