Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: install a fuel tank shut off valve?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I recently pulled my fuel tank in my /6 conversion so I could install a thru body sway bar,replace fuel lines,fuel pump etc. but I was wondering while I have everything out should I install some type of shut off valve inline for any future tank pulls? Now I don't plan on removing the tank in the future just for fun biggrin.gif but if I have to a shut off valve would make it easier. So have any of you guys installed one? If you have what type or where did you get it? Or am I over thinking a problem that doesn't exist? dry.gif
type11969
I used a natural gas shutoff ball valve in my Beetle with npt to hose barb adapters for the last 5 years and it makes pulling the tank a breeze. Got everything at home depot.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(type11969 @ Jan 4 2008, 10:41 AM) *

I used a natural gas shutoff ball valve in my Beetle with npt to hose barb adapters for the last 5 years and it makes pulling the tank a breeze. Got everything at home depot.

By any chance do you have a pic of the install? Or can you describe where you installed the valve? I assume it is installed between the tank and the fuel pump. Thanks for the info.
type11969
Don't have a pic but it is right under the tank on my Beetle, mounted to the pass side kick panel. It is immediately after the tank and before the filter so I can shut off the flow when I want to swap the filter.
Cap'n Krusty
In a beetle, the correct location for the fuel filter is between the fuel pump and the carburetor, so you don't lose more than the filter can hold anyway. The Cap'n
type11969
If you are running a stock setup with a mechanical pump that has a mesh screen. Not if you are running dual carbs with a rotary pump. Thanks though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.