Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: What is the most RELIABLE Porsche engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
I want to eventually get a 911. Not sure what the best and most desirable ones are. My budget is 10K if I keep my daily driver or 15k if I sell my daily driver.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Levon
Heeltoe914
Well history has shown that the 3.0 SC is the most reliable motor but 3.2 or very good as well I have two.

Always look for records and at the condition of car and you will find a good car for 10k. I have scene a few DD going for around that maybe needing a little work here and there I call them; drivers in progress.
jasons
Actually, you should ask what is the best 911 at your price point. Probably an SC. You can get a decent SC for $10k, and keep your DD. You really can't touch a decent 3.2 Carrera for much less than $14k, and thats probably a targa. You wouldn't want the 964 thats available in that price range.

My choice would be the latest (1987-89) 3.2 Carrera coupe I could get (with the G50 trans), but those in respectable condtion are in the $20k neighborhood.

Basically your quoted budget puts you in the entry-level to nice SC neighboorhood. And the entry-level, early(915 trans) 3.2 Carrera neighboorhood.
orthobiz
What exactly is it about the G50 transmission that makes it so desirable? And wasn't there a major model change in 89?

Paul
nsr-jamie
I'd say, the newer the better...but the problem is price goes up as you get the late model stuff. Also not too many people parting out the newer guys as well.
carr914
G-50 (88-) use a Hydrallic Clutch and are bullet-proof. The 964 came on in 1989, but definately don't touch a 964 4wheel drive. What a nightmere

T.C.
J P Stein
The G-50 uses Borg-Warner (or is that Borg & Beck?) syncros rather than the Porsche jobbies. These syncros allow the trans to be shifted with alacrity....just like a modern car. biggrin.gif

The 3.0L has the fewest "issues" of the choices ...nearly bullet proof.
Eric_Shea

I'm building a mild 3.0, 9.5:1, 36mm port, S-Cam, MFI motor for my 911. The 2.5 will go in the 914 (where it belongs).

Based upon your budget, you are firmly in 911SC land anyway. Look for the best one you can find and try to shoot for the 15k budget number.
914-8
Historically, the 3.0 was very reliable.

But I think today, overall, the 3.2 will be more reliable. First, it has an advantage in that it is just plain newer than the 3.0. 3.0s are now 25 to 30 year old engines. 3.2s are 19 to 24 year old engines.

The injection system on the 3.2 is IMO more reliable these days. It is a simpler system. 25-30 year old CIS parts are now starting to get old. The CIS system (which I like) is a bit rube-goldberg-esqe in its design. Motronic is more straightforward. The smog system on the 3.2 is simpler.

The biggest issue that the 3.0 is now facing is broken head studs. They are 25-30 years old now, and I bet a good percentage of 3.0s on the road today have at least one broken head stud. The 3.2s don't seem to have as much of a problem with that.

I've had both SC and Carrera. If I were in your position, I would stretch to the $15K and buy the best Carrera you can find. For that money, you can find a nice, solid one, that will in the long run likely be less expensive to own than a $10K SC. IMO. the SC was the best value 5-10 years ago, but today, the Carrera is now in the "sweet spot" for age/depreciation, and is the better value.
BK911
I don't think you can go wrong with an SC or a Carrera. Both are awesome cars with awesome engines. Buy whichever one you can get the best deal on the best car. IMHO I'd say the 3.2 engine may be a little better, but that doesn't make the 3.0 bad.

A 3.0 with MFI? wub.gif

Eric_Shea
They are 25-30 years old now, and I bet a good percentage of 3.0s on the road today have at least one broken head stud.

I'd bet against that. wink.gif

A 3.0 with MFI? wub.gif

Indeed. Trying to build a 911/77 based upon a 930/07 block. Pretty straightforward actually. Jeff Smith (in the Northwest) is the only guy I know who's actually seen a 911/77 torn down. He helped on the original specs. (and sold me the cams). This is simply a 2.7 RS spec engine build on the 930/07 core. JE will make the pistons, Beiker did the MFI and Gus will do the pump. Please send your donations to... biggrin.gif
Rleog
The G-50 transmission is also in the 1987 Carreras.

It's not unusual for the 87 - 89 valve guides to require replacement after 40 - 60 K miles.

Be careful.
bigkensteele
Not sure if you would want to drive this everyday, but I am thinking about selling my 911. It is an 84 Carrera 3.2 with 111k on the clock, a full steel slantnose conversion, and it just had a major service done at the dealership - received a very clean bill of health. A very fun car. It needs a couple of things if you are into perfection, but if you are looking for a very nice, fun car to drive, it would be great. Asking $17k.

Ken
bigkensteele
PS... I am sold on the 3.2. I love the torque and the throttle response from this engine. I am selling the 911 to fund a 3.2 in the 914. Given the reliability and cost of maintenenance, it is the only engine that I am considering for Ol' Blue, my (nearly) rust-free '75 1.8.

I have two young kids, not much time, a 3 car gargage and 5 cars at the moment. I have to sell 2 and as much as I hate it, the 911 hase to be one of them. PM me if you want more pics.

Ken
EdwardBlume
$17K is a good deal for that!
GeorgeRud
If you're looking, either a 3.0 or 3.2 will be fine. The 3.0 liter has the more robust engine IMHO, but the 3.2 does have a much better injection system and the G50 transmission is nice.

However, be sure to drive them, both are a whole different feel from the 914s. They are heavier and don't have the "snap" of a 914. I had a Targa SC and a Cabriolet 87 Carrera. I liked both cars, bought them when the kids were small and I wanted a small back seat to take them along.

When they got large enough to no longer fit in back, I sold them and kept my 914-6. Later, I also converted a 914 to a big engined six (remember, I do have two kids to deal with). I'm thinking about a 993 for myself as the knees have just about had it, and a Tiptronic may be the ticket. All are fun cars, just different. Find the car you want and don't be too worried, if it's in good shape, that's the main point to look for.
jaminM3
The 3.2 also has 9.0mm rod bolts as opposed to the 10mm rod bolts on the 3.0. They both have the Dilavar exhaust studs that fail prematurely, just replace them with steel ones when the time comes. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.