Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Master Cylinder-getting the lines in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
All right guys,

I am almost done with replacing my master cylinder, the old one was a bitch to get out considering 30 years of east coast grime, but it came out without breaking or striping anything.

now, to get the new one in, whats the best way to get the metal resivour lines to seat in the rubber boots! everything else lines up fine, but no matter how hard I push and pull, I cant get the lines to fit all the way in! I have read the article on the Pelican site and have tried the recomendations there, so now I'm asking the true pro's!
Help!!

-Adam
Mueller
loosen the fittings at the reservoir on top, pull the two lines down from under the car as far as you can (normally 4 or 5 inches further than they normally are)

I put the rubber grommets in the M/C first, then I lube the lines up with some clean brake fluid and twist the lines in........

this is with the hard lines disconnected.
Mike,

Thanks for the help,

I'll try this out tonight, I think that I was worried that I would pull the resiv. lines out if I pulled them down to far, but 4-5 inches should be enough to get in and secure them yet still be able to attach the brake line fittings.

-Adam
scotty
...twist and push hard! You should hear/feel a positive *snick* when they pop in.
jimkelly
pics - as i need to install a MC soon

sixaddict
This job is a beotch! I got so frustrated I took it to the shop and let them finish it.....very simple to describe how but pain to execute unless on a lift. headbang.gif
timothy_nd28
Before I put the rubber grommets into the MC, I lightly grease the inside grommets then install them into the MC. Then I lightly grease the res brake lines. After all that, push and twist the lines into the MC. They pop in pretty easy, when all greased up.
jimkelly
seems like removing lines from reservior is the way to go.
i'll be on jack stands.
seems simple enough?

jimkelly
i removed reserve lines - and yes - pressing them into MC requires less pressure - not more - and i did put a drop of brake fluid in the gromet to slip things up.

don't forget to put washers under gromets.

need to get some 8mm fuel line to replace the short peices of dry rotted braided line that connects the 8mm feed lines from the MC to reservoir.

BTW - the lines are metal at bottom 20% and plastic at top 80% - line fuel lines.
PanelBilly
I thought I'd never get these seated. Lube it up with brake fluid and swear a lot.
type47
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 23 2012, 05:30 AM) *

don't forget to put washers under gromets.

Good to point out. I received my MC but no instructions in box re: washers. Thought I remembered way back somewhere that washers go under grommet so installed that way and hoped I was correct.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.