Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jwest engine mount question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
what's the difference?
anyone have em?

i noticed the shift linkage kit, but do you know where i can get that plastic cover by itself?

same price on the jwest site as pelican, would it benefit the board if i went through the banner at the top?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jan 5 2008, 10:19 AM) *

what's the difference?
anyone have em?

i noticed the shift linkage kit, but do you know where i can get that plastic cover by itself?

same price on the jwest site as pelican, would it benefit the board if i went through the banner at the top?

First of all, James makes some amazing products. I think I have about everything 914 specific he makes on my 914's. But with that said, you have to know what you want out of your car. Using some of James' products might be a mistake for you.

If your car is a daily driver with a nice stereo that you take out on weekends for a spirited romp you don't need or for that matter want either nylon or aluminum. The aluminum is meant for the race track guys while the nylon is for the guys looking for that 11/10th out of their car on the autocross course. The result is an engine that is very solidly mounted to the car and you feel and hear things that can be very disturbing and detract from what you want out of your car.

The lesson here is don't build something you will not like. It is tempting because you need to do one thing and might as well do the other while you are in there...

Think of it this way, if you were a woman and decided to get breast augmentation surgery because your husband or boyfriend likes 'em bigger, but you are the kind of person who doesn't like to call attention to yourself. After the surgery, your husband or boyfriend is delighted, but you find yourself the focus of unwanted attention from both other men and women.

My point is that you must think through the consequences before you act. James makes it even more tempting because his mounts are cheaper than stock rubber on both the Porsche part and aftermarket side.

So now, you have more information. What do you want out of your car?

The shifter and kit are a no lose proposition unless you are a concours guy. Then of course it isn't original. The car will shift much better as long as all of the other bushings are in good shape and the transmission is sound.

I do not know if you can get the cover by itself. I have a good one that I am not using but if they are not available I will be hanging on to it. Ask James. Maybe he will part with that alone.
stateofidleness
well itll eventually be a street-only weekend romp type car

my current rubber mounts on the engine bar are crumbled and uneven

a solidly mounted engine doesnt sound like a bad thing though?
of the two, what would be the best choice?

on the plastic boot, im pretty sure theyre still available i was just hoping to maybe combine shipping or something if i could buy it from him as well
SirAndy
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jan 5 2008, 12:23 PM) *

you still have teeth? if so, you might want to say goodbye to them now ...

seriously, solid engine mounts are anything but a good idea unless you have a dedicated track car. you know, one that is driven for minutes at a time and gets thoroughly inspected before each race for stress cracks and such ...

solid motor mounts transfer all the engine vibrations directly to the chassis. all that energy has to be absorbed by a chassis that was never designed to do so.
so, unless you reinforced your chassis in all the right places, chances are, it'll crack.

and then there's the noise transfer ...

i'd say, get some new rubber mounts (still readily available) ...
bye1.gif Andy
stateofidleness
ahhh ok i gotcha... i was thinkin of somethin else i guess but thank you for setting me straight sir

is it a good idea to replace the transmission mounts while its out?

im tryin to get a "parts list" together so i can make a $75+ order on pelican lol

EDIT: does the same hold true for "solid" transmission mounts?

i remember what i was thinkin about... it was the "tighter" shifting you get by not having your transmission move... best to stick to stock?
SirAndy
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jan 5 2008, 01:30 PM) *

i remember what i was thinkin about... it was the "tighter" shifting you get by not having your transmission move...

bandaid for shitty shift-bushings ... rolleyes.gif

replace all of your shift bushings and get 911 sport (motor) mounts and use them as transmission mounts.

it'll make a world of a difference and won't rattle your teeth loose in the process ...
shades.gif Andy
ConeDodger
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jan 5 2008, 12:23 PM) *

well itll eventually be a street-only weekend romp type car

my current rubber mounts on the engine bar are crumbled and uneven

of the two, what would be the best choice?

on the plastic boot, im pretty sure theyre still available i was just hoping to maybe combine shipping or something if i could buy it from him as well

I guess I should have stated it more simply. You will not like your car anymore. That sucks. All your fillings will fall out from the vibrations and any bolt that can get loose will get loose. The structure will crack anyplace it is weak or stressed. Bondo will fall out. Small children and dogs will no longer want to be around you. Women will desert you and only skanky toothless ones will still find you attractive. blink.gif On the plus side, you will be able to sell your car for parts or sell it cheaper than what you have in it once it has completely lost appeal for you... biggrin.gif
stateofidleness
andy, can you link me to the correct 911 mounts?
ill go with stock replacement for the engine mount and will compare the price difference between the 911/914 "trans" mounts

i will also replace all the shift bushings as well. are they all "snap in" replacements or do some require welding (i think i read on the shift couplers)

need to find a good shift bushing kit to purchase (im a convenience fanatic wink.gif)

thanks for the help btw
SirAndy
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jan 5 2008, 03:23 PM) *

andy, can you link me to the correct 911 mounts?

911 sport motor mounts:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...x_pg1.htm#item4

Click to view attachment

they work great as 914 transmission mounts (NOTE: yes, i know, they're 911 *engine* mounts) ...

you might have to elongate the mounting holes slightly, i never had to do that on mine, prefect fit, but others have reported slight fitment issues ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: this pic is a bit dusty but it shows the 911 sport mounts used instead of the stock 914 tranny mounts ...

Click to view attachment
McMark
Think of it this way, if you were a woman and decided to get breast augmentation surgery because your husband or boyfriend likes 'em bigger, but you are the kind of person who doesn't like to call attention to yourself. After the surgery, your husband or boyfriend is delighted, but you find yourself the focus of unwanted attention from both other men and women.

I don't understand. Maybe your analogy needs some instructive pictures. av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 5 2008, 06:04 PM) *

I don't understand. Maybe your analogy needs some instructive pictures. av-943.gif

Well Mark,
If you look in the Sandbox under Hot something or other... av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.