Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I joined the new century
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
We have been using a OLD HP computer for years. I have timed it and from when you turned it on it would take 5 minutes to get to the web. I hit the overtime hard the end of last month and treated us to a new iMac aktion035.gif Man o man what a change type.gif the letters show up on the monitor when I type them confused24.gif I should have done this a long time ago slap.gif
McMark
Welcome. thumb3d.gif

It's a whole new world!
SGB
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Jan 5 2008, 04:07 PM) *

... the letters show up on the monitor when I type them ...

av-943.gif

I know what you mean. My computer is first generation. Well, Ok, second gen, about 1996. And that my kids have screemin' fast boxes and laptops and smatphones and digital everything. Alright, I've got a pretty good laptop too, and there is a powerfull family box (wife's ebay machine mostly), I built up a couple of years ago, but my usual vehicle of choice for the info highway is an overclocked 11 year old 486 Pentium II with a gig of memory. I can't help it, I just like to keep the old stuff (the 914, the computer, the bicycle, even the old body itself) going and going and going.
spare time toys
I have gone so any places at the speed of light tonight my head is spinning...
Katmanken
Old!

I worked on plug compatable products for 3270 mainframes, we watched the progress of the 8088 PCs come about because clients hated it when the mainframe went down and everybody was dead in the water.

We bought a small startup computer company and manufactured 286 and 386 computers. Back in those days you could have a motherboard, a 1.44 floppy and could boot the device and run Microsoft WORD off of a single floppy. And I could store all my word files on the floppy WITH the entire Word program. Took a little longer to boot, but that is how small of a system you really need to contain an operating system, a word processor, AND saved documents. I think my paperback dictionary cost 2 bucks. Yup, you don't need a huge operating system or a hard drive to run useable programs.

Nowadays we have huge operating systems, massive cache memory files, and monster hard drives so that we can be...

safe from hackers,

sales whores can insert programs to track our buying preferences on the internet (and tailor what we see),

music and video can insert huge amounts of tracking and copyright protections (DMR) in the operating systems, and

every software product can make their product more friendly by booting and running a part of their software product in the background so it starts up quicker.

If we could cut out all the unwanted resource sucking crap, it would be amazing how small and how fast systems would run. Microbloat Vista is a perfect example of adding more crap you don't want or need to force you to buy a bigger faster system.

Ken

spare time toys
mad.gif the iMac is going back. we were up until 11:30 trying to get the items she needs for her job to work on it. One ap needed citrix installed then another needed internet explorer but they dont support mac anymore so you have to find a link and the most up to date version that will work on a mac is 05 and that didnt open half of what she needs. In the end it was not any easier or faster than what we have. sad.gif So credit a big chunk of change back into the bank and life goes on.
McMark
That new iMac can dual boot Windows. With a quick restart you can choose to run Windows or MacOS.

Look Here
BiG bOgGs
Haven't tried it yet myself, but I have heard that Windows runs faster on the new iMac than about 90% of comparably priced PCs out there. Let us know your experience if you try Windows on it.

Jim
spare time toys
Just got back from returning it. The guy at the store said it doesnt work that well for realestate. Wish he had said that yesterday/ slap.gif We picked up a new tower for home use 400 gig hd and 3 gig ram amd 64X2 processor.
So.Cal.914
Got a Dell Inspiron 1521 (laptop) from my cousin for my birthday. I hear ya, man

what a difference. smile.gif Could not run CS3 on my old machine.
Wide914
ITs true what is said of the new intel mac's. PC magazine did a test on which computer ran windows vista the fastest and most solid and it was a MAC that one..
just install vista and startup windows no problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.