Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few newbie 914 questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WizPorsche914
Hey fellas I just picked up a 72 914 locally from the original owners son. Ive wanted a 914 for years and I finally got one. I have a few questions.

I want to add a center gauge console, Is it already prewired for one ?

I bought some nice Fuchs replicas. What size/brand tire do you reccommend ?

Can I use the lug bolts from the steel wheels ?

Weld in or Rivet in a new battery tray ?

Thanks

WizPorsche914
One more thing the owner said the garage noticed a small crack in the top of the engine case. Is this a Major or Minor issue ?
BiG bOgGs
welcome.png

For the rest of it, knowledgeable people will reply. biggrin.gif

Jim
KaptKaos
welcome.png
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Now that you have been properly greeted.

1) not sure if it's prewired. I know 73 on is.
2) 4 lug fuchs? I ran 195/60-15s.
3) Real fuch require longer lug bolts. Not sure on the repros.
4) Weld. Battery tray rust is common. How bad it is may impact the long underneath the tray. Check and make sure the hell hole is solid. After that, check the long and make sure its not rusted.

Good luck!
KaptKaos
Crack in case may be very bad news. Have it checked.
WizPorsche914
I already pulled out the tray which wasnt bad but wasnt great either. The area underneath is solid with no rust.

The car does run and drive.
Rusty
Congrats and welcome!

> I want to add a center gauge console, Is it already prewired for one ?

I don't know for sure about the wiring on a 72. If I recall correctly, the center console with gauges was a 73+ option.

> I bought some nice Fuchs replicas. What size/brand tire do you
> reccommend ?

I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm not sure there is a such thing as a nice Fuchs replica. They're heavy and prone to cracking. That said, tire-size is dependent on the backspacing of the wheel and how much bier Hans had at lunch before he fit your fenders.

Generally, a 205 will fit under 914 fenders. I have 195s on real Fuchs on my 73, and I have plenty of room left.

> Can I use the lug bolts from the steel wheels ?

Not advised. Alloy lug bolts are longer than the steel lug bolts for a reason. Use a bit of anti-sieze and torque them to tighten. If you gorilla them tight, you risk cracking a wheel.

> Weld in or Rivet in a new battery tray ?

I've seen both done. Riveting always seems a bit mickey-mouse to me, and might cause you to fail tech-inspection, should you ever choose to autocross the car.

Welcome to the madness! biggrin.gif

-Rusty
WizPorsche914
Its current inspection sticker is 10/01 I mechanic said to pass it needs a master cylinder and calipers. Finding calipers for this car is almost impossible so how hard is it to rebuild them ?
Rusty
Did he say why you needed master cylinder and calipers? Is something stuck or leaking?

If it's been sitting around a long time, I'd recommend that you change out the rubber lines and then bleed the system. Both of those tasks are within the capabilities of a novice, can be done with simple handtools, and are relatively inexpensive. A set of SpeedBleeder brake bleeding screws will cost about 10-12 dollars and will make the job very easy.

If, after that, you need calipers, they aren't too hard to rebuild... or you can send them out. Eric_Shea (here on the board) does stunning work with calipers and is very reasonably priced. Check the member's vendor's section.
ws91420
QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Jan 6 2008, 10:47 PM) *

Its current inspection sticker is 10/01 I mechanic said to pass it needs a master cylinder and calipers. Finding calipers for this car is almost impossible so how hard is it to rebuild them ?

Calipers are available for order from Advance Auto parts last time I looked. Are the calipers leaking? Why is the master cylinder being recommended?
Rusty
If it's been sitting around a long time, I'd recommend that you change out the rubber lines and then bleed the system. Both of those tasks are within the capabilities of a novice, can be done with simple handtools, and are relatively inexpensive. A set of SpeedBleeder brake bleeding screws will cost about 10-12 dollars and will make the job very easy.

Some more explanation - as the rubber brake lines age, they swell on the inside, choking off the flow of brake fluid. Over time, eventually they will swell shut to the point that your calipers won't work.

It's not uncommon on older cars that haven't been driven often.

As long as you're going to need to replace the rubber lines anyways - I'd recommend you start there. smile.gif
smokey
QUOTE(WizPorsche914 @ Jan 6 2008, 07:18 PM) *

Hey fellas I just picked up a 72 914 locally from the original owners son. Ive wanted a 914 for years and I finally got one. I have a few questions.

I want to add a center gauge console, Is it already prewired for one ?

I bought some nice Fuchs replicas. What size/brand tire do you reccommend ?

Can I use the lug bolts from the steel wheels ?

Weld in or Rivet in a new battery tray ?

Thanks

Hey there , and welcome . Yes It is pre wired . all 914 s have the same wiring harness . Pull up the carpet in the center area . were the cen consil will sitt .> U wiil see a male type plug that is for the center consill . Lets see some pix smoke.gif
So.Cal.914
Hi, I had to wire my 72 for the console, it did not have the wires in it like my 74.

Do the brakes not work? Why the M/C and calipers?
Spoke
For the center console, chances are your 72 isn't wired for a center console. That being said, the most difficult part of wiring for a console is the oil temp guage hookup. If your car doesn't have a sender unit in the taco plate (small round plate under the engine on the drivers side), then you have to obtain one and run one wire to the console.

I wired my 71 for a console and was amazed to find a spare wire under the carpet which was for the oil temp sender. The wire ran from the console area through the firewall to the relay board in the engine compartment. The wire ran across the relay board to the engine connector but the engine harness didn't have that position filled. So I got an extra wire harness and added a connector in the proper position and ran a wire from the connector to the oil sender.

The other guages on the console (clock and voltmeter) are easy as just grabbing a switched and non-switched +12V lead along with a dash light lead for illumination bulbs. These leads are readily available under the dash around the fuse panel.

Spoke

PS: Welcome to the madness.
smokey
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 7 2008, 05:04 AM) *

For the center console, chances are your 72 isn't wired for a center console. That being said, the most difficult part of wiring for a console is the oil temp guage hookup. If your car doesn't have a sender unit in the taco plate (small round plate under the engine on the drivers side), then you have to obtain one and run one wire to the console.

I wired my 71 for a console and was amazed to find a spare wire under the carpet which was for the oil temp sender. The wire ran from the console area through the firewall to the relay board in the engine compartment. The wire ran across the relay board to the engine connector but the engine harness didn't have that position filled. So I got an extra wire harness and added a connector in the proper position and ran a wire from the connector to the oil sender.

The other guages on the console (clock and voltmeter) are easy as just grabbing a switched and non-switched +12V lead along with a dash light lead for illumination bulbs. These leads are readily available under the dash around the fuse panel.

Spoke

PS: Welcome to the madness.

I used to werk For Rich Bontempi . High Performance House Redwood city ca .I dismantled cars for the guy . I have cut up or dimantled over twenty 914s . FOR him . Every one had the spare wire s under the carpet area . they are for the center gadges .
After stopping werking for the guy , i continued to buy and sell 14s . Another 20 to 25 cars Bought and sold . U may have one of the cars . Parts cars . Daily drivers and prodject cars . If there was no center concil . All had the center wires . Waiting for a center concil . the extra wires were always there .
My 74 has No center concil . It dose have the exra wires under the carpet waiting for a center concil . smoke.gif
Root_Werks
welcome.png

Congrats, you're a sick person just like the rest of us now. biggrin.gif

If I am not mistaken, as long as the threads go deaper than the lug bolt is round, you're good. So the lug bolts are 14mm diameter which means they would have to thread in at least that much. I run stock 914-4 lug bolts on my VW beetle and it has replica 2.0 Fuchs. They thread in almost 20mm. You can't do that on stock 2.0 Fuchs as they are thicker (Better) than replicas. You should be okay.

-Dan
smokey
OH Shitt . welcome.png Sorry i did not give that up . piratenanner.gif bye1.gif Enjoy uss . we are very cool people . smoke.gif
WizPorsche914
What exactly am I looking for underneath the carpet for a center console connection ?

The mechanic didnt say why it needs a master cyl. Id think because it sat.
Spoke
You're looking for a single wire with a female spade connector which heads towards the engine compartment.

Get a schematic for a car with the oil temp gauge (73-76) and find which connectors on the relay board the oil temp sender wire uses.

Once you find this, with an ohmmeter check to see if the wire under the carpet is in fact the wire you're looking for. The ohmmeter will read zero ohms if the wire is the correct one.

Don't have a volt/ohm meter? Buy one. You'll need it again and again with your new ride.

Spoke
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(smokey @ Jan 6 2008, 08:37 PM) *

Yes It is pre wired . all 914 s have the same wiring harness .

total BS ... bs.gif WTF.gif

your '72 most likely does *NOT* have the loom for the center console. it was a'73 and up option.

there are major differences in the wiring harnesses between early and late cars, with '72 being a "switchover" year.

and weld the new battery tray. do it once, do it right ...
shades.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png

SirAndy
QUOTE(smokey @ Jan 7 2008, 06:07 AM) *

If there was no center concil . All had the center wires .

again, utter and complete non-sense! bs.gif

early cars ('70 - '72) do *NOT* have the wiring for the center console!!!!

in fact, the whole wiring for early cars is very much different from later cars. i don't care how many years you "cut up" 914s for someone else, you obviosuly didn't pay much attention while you were cutting them ...
slap.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
My 74 also has the wiring under the passenger seat and in the loom for the

ignition/seatbelt cutout switch. I am sure they are similar over the years and

probably look the same at first glance.
smokey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 7 2008, 09:02 PM) *

QUOTE(smokey @ Jan 7 2008, 06:07 AM) *

If there was no center concil . All had the center wires .

again, utter and complete non-sense! bs.gif

early cars ('70 - '72) do *NOT* have the wiring for the center console!!!!

in fact, the whole wiring for early cars is very much different from later cars. i don't care how many years you "cut up" 914s for someone else, you obviosuly didn't pay much attention while you were cutting them ...
slap.gif Andy

DAM ??????. OK . Tanks for the 14 101 ANDY . Your probably right about not paying attention . Bontempi was on me like flys on shitt to move faster . MY bad . I realy do recall . wires under all . OH and The Fosssgetty dose not agree with u andy . LARRY that is .Remember, he is king . anyway . Good to know i am utterly and completly bullshitting all . DAM . Have a bad day ? U do not have to be like that . But, WHAT ever. bye1.gif smoke.gif REALY BUTTTTTT Whatever . Get It ?
smokey
QUOTE(smokey @ Jan 7 2008, 06:54 AM) *

OH Shitt . welcome.png Sorry i did not give that up . piratenanner.gif bye1.gif Enjoy uss . we are very cool people . smoke.gif

@ least some are . poke.gif ANDY<--------?????? AAAA , He is cool . but when the cheer.gif chick comes out , that is what u get . smoke.gif

Its all good andy . Gust thought . U have a thick skinn . ar15.gif smoke.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.