Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still more obscurity turning up, or..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
In the interesting book, "A French Kiss with Death", the authors write " In the next two weeks Jo (Siffert) and Paul (Blancpain) bought four Porsche 911s, a Porsche 914, two Chevron B19 coupes, and a Corvette. As soon as they were purchased, the cars were belivered to Franco Sbarro's garage in the Swiss town of Yverdon, where fender flares were added, roll bars installed, and other modifications made to transform street cars into passable race cars."

So in 1970, a 914, surely a /6, was transformed into a reasonbly passable copy of what has turned out to be a very famous 914, Sonauto #40. I'd be surprised if this movie "stand-in" got all the requisite upgrades befitting a proper /6 GT, but I wonder what became of it, if it survived, and who owns it now?

Paul
sixnotfour
idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
Gustl
based on my knowledge, the 2nd car (the film-double) was 914.0.43.1017, the later Sunoco #5 car

idea.gif Gustl
Scott S
You can tell them apart in the movie - one of them does not have the Sonauto decal at the front edge of the hood and the type style used for the numbers is a bit different.

How mad would the current owner of the "real" car be if it was all the sudden discovered his car was not the real one! Oh man......
jesiv
So what was the name of the movie?
Challe
Its the movie "Le Mans", the best race movie ever produced and the best movie with Steve McQueen in my opinion.

Look here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=sonauto

jesiv
Wow, I just watched it twice this weekend along with the great escape. All the 914s really cool.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jesiv @ Jan 16 2008, 10:21 AM) *

Wow, I just watched it twice this weekend along with the great escape. All the 914s really cool.

Sorry guys! As much as I love "LeMans", I think "Gran Prix" beats it. Not for story line, but for photography. Made in 1965, with cameras attached to the cars of the day. All the best race circuits invloved, too - not just one. Bad acting? Yep, both are guilty. But, the scene with Garner hardcore driving a Mustang on euro roads is special.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.