Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spray gun selection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whitey
I'm getting ready to spray my car...most of the prep work is done. I have a $100 HVLP gun I bought from Lowes a while back. Should I be upgrading to a better gun? I spent a lot of time on the prep and don't want to blow it wih the gun. Which gun and were is best place to buy.

Thanks for the help
Lou W
QUOTE(whitey @ Jan 6 2008, 11:35 PM) *

I'm getting ready to spray my car...most of the prep work is done. I have a $100 HVLP gun I bought from Lowes a while back. Should I be upgrading to a better gun? I spent a lot of time on the prep and don't want to blow it wih the gun. Which gun and were is best place to buy.

Thanks for the help

I would, I was that taught to use different guns when painting, one for primer, one for final color and one for cleear. This is my newest gun here;

I bought these at my local Auto Paint Supply Store, the price was pretty competitive with the on-line stores.
Carrera916
Yes, Lou has the right info on using different spray guns for specific job. it's all due to the size of the nozzle and tip such as 1.3 to 1.5. The higher the number (1.5) will give you a finer mist compare to 1.3 that nearly splat (or spit) paint out of the tip. It is good for primer build up and the 1.5 is good for metallic paint. Clear can be use on either 1.4 or 1.5.

I use the Sata product which is pretty pricey for some...but damn good guns....

jerry
Carrera916
whitney,

look up the size of your tip and what are they sized? If you got something like 1.2 - 1.4 area, you can use it for primer as you would need to sand down a bit again to color it so it wouldn't matter if it's a Lowe, Sata, Binks or Sharpe gun.

It is the coloring and clearing that you would want something good and do it once.

j
iamchappy
I use a 1.8 for a high build primer, and a 1.3 for base and clear coat. a 1.5 is used as a multitask setup which will do an adequate job for both primer and base coat.
dakotaewing
If you really want to learn about painting - one place you should go is
http://spi.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=spi

There are a few painters on this forum, and even one teener whose car is featured on the SPI forum -
IronHillRestorations
What you will pay for the proper gun and equipment to paint your car will put you (depending on where you live) at probably 25% of what it would cost to have a pro spray your car.

If you are going to use a hardend paint, then you really need to have a separate breathing air system. Where are you painting your car? You don't want to expose your home and family to the dangerous vapors from modern paints.

Just my .02
rick 918-S
I've painted a couple thousand cars. It's less about the gun and more about practice. Art to some is second nature, others have to work at it.
TimT
Those Finex are good guns. I have a pair

A new trend is LVLP guns which use less air... HVLP can be pigs and alot of hobbiests dont have compressors that can keep up.

I bought this gun because of recommendations on a few autobody forums that I researched.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Astr...-%20EVO4014.htm

and the price is right, they are now $75, I think I paid near $110 earlier this year.

Even if you have the most expensive guns though, they wont do you any good unless you need to practice and learn how to set up the guns etc..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.