Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Was this one of our Northern Brothers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080105/ap_on_...elderly_speeder

I guess if you are going to speed in Canada, you best not get caught.
wbergtho
Coming to a jurisdiction near you.
Rusty
And on the other side of the pond, in London... the opposite extreme!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080104/od_nm/...ain_motorist_dc
VaccaRabite
I read that story last week. The officer that cited the old dude also offered to drive him home, since he could not longer legally do it himself.

There is no need for driving 100 mph on public streets, ever.

Zach
woobn8r
I drive in and around Toronto daily....

Firstly, this is not a "CITY street"we are talking about...It's a multi lane super highway...parts of which see more cars in a day than anywhere else in North America....yup LA & NY included.

The main highways (16 lanes) are limited to 100KPH (62MPH). In the 70's the limit was 70MPH or 112KPH....(then lowered to save fuel).
The 70's cars were bigger, didn't handle as well, couldn't stop as well and were "safe" at that speed as the 1950's designers of the highways designed these "400 series" highways for vehicles travelling 100MPH (160KPH) considering advances in the bright future.

The average people drive is 140KPH...at 150KPH you lose your car. This guy was at 160KPH. OR 12.43MPH more than the average. 37.28MPH over the posted limit. You can't tell me that most people havn't been 37MPH over the limit at one time or another!!!!How about 12MPH faster than everyone else?

Stupid law, pushed through by a Provincial police chief looking to make a statement for himself (former ousted City police chief). There has been a HUGE debate here on whether lowering limits or educating drivers is the best way to serve the public. This way makes money.

They want to crack down on "ricers" street racing as there have been several well publicised events that did not turn out well....(deaths involved). Noble goal, but, this is a VERY small number of people.

They would do better to make WINTER TIRES mandatory as has been done in QUEBEC....but that may be coming too.
JPB
If you wanna speed and wanna get off this is all you have to do once the officer comes to your car:

You- Yes officer how can I help you my friend biggrin.gif

Officer- license nd registration please

y- i don't have one and can't see why you need one. What did i do wrong bud? biggrin.gif

o- didn't you know you were speeding? mad.gif

y- why yes i have a very important reason officer friend biggrin.gif

o- why were you speeding? mad.gif

y- I just shot my wife and need to get the hell out of this country smile.gif

o- what did ya do with her? WTF.gif

y- I have the bitch all chopped up in the trunk bud! smile.gif

At this point the officer reaches for his gun and shaking he calls for backup mad.gif

A squad of 6 cars show up and the sherif starts asking questions

Cherif-dirvers license please

y- you present them calmly

c-let me look in your trunk?

The sherif finds nothing and the says, " this officer told me you had no driver's license, and had a dead body in your trunk!"

You then calmly reply," the liar probably said I was speeding to."

beer.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(JPB @ Jan 7 2008, 03:25 PM) *

If you wanna speed and wanna get off this is all you have to do once the officer comes to your car:

y- i don't have one and can't see why you need one. What did i do wrong bud? biggrin.gif

At this point the officer reaches for his gun and shaking he calls for backup mad.gif

The sherif finds nothing and the says, " this officer told me you had no driver's license, and had a dead body in your trunk!"

beer.gif

Fucher, I just about chocked on my sandwich. How the hell are you? Haven't seen you around much, busy at work?
Chuck
QUOTE(JPB @ Jan 7 2008, 03:25 PM) *

beer.gif

I've seen this before - still funny as hell!!
alpha434
You've seen it before...

In the DO NOT LOOK thread.

woobn8r
LMFAOROTF av-943.gif
tracks914
Yes this new "Stunt Driving Law" is making me consider putting a 1.7 into my project car instead of a Raby 4 or a six. It's just stupid. Hundreds of miles of straight open highways, nobody around and a 50mph (80kph) speed limit. Just a couple of weeks ago a 64 year old man pulled out, passed a semi truck and pulled back onto his side of the highway and slowed down to 100kph. The police clocked him at 130/kmh during the pass and they impounded his car and took his license for a week. There IS a difference between speeding and racing on 400 series highways. I won't say who and I won't say when but a fellow member here took me for a 200kph ride on one of those 400 series highways last month. He took a big chance loosing his 914 but I loved every second.
GWN7
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Jan 7 2008, 06:15 AM) *

I drive in and around Toronto daily....

Firstly, this is not a "CITY street"we are talking about...It's a multi lane super highway...parts of which see more cars in a day than anywhere else in North America....yup LA & NY included.

The main highways (16 lanes) are limited to 100KPH (62MPH). In the 70's the limit was 70MPH or 112KPH....(then lowered to save fuel).
The 70's cars were bigger, didn't handle as well, couldn't stop as well and were "safe" at that speed as the 1950's designers of the highways designed these "400 series" highways for vehicles travelling 100MPH (160KPH) considering advances in the bright future.

The average people drive is 140KPH...at 150KPH you lose your car. This guy was at 160KPH. OR 12.43MPH more than the average. 37.28MPH over the posted limit. You can't tell me that most people havn't been 37MPH over the limit at one time or another!!!!How about 12MPH faster than everyone else?

Stupid law, pushed through by a Provincial police chief looking to make a statement for himself (former ousted City police chief). There has been a HUGE debate here on whether lowering limits or educating drivers is the best way to serve the public. This way makes money.

They want to crack down on "ricers" street racing as there have been several well publicised events that did not turn out well....(deaths involved). Noble goal, but, this is a VERY small number of people.

They would do better to make WINTER TIRES mandatory as has been done in QUEBEC....but that may be coming too.

The same chief proposed (not sure if it was passed) that would give police the power to seize any auto that was modified from stock because it might be used for street racing.

Put a 2L in your 1.7L car...seized
PeeGreen 914
Wow, that sounds a little obsurd. I guess a lot of 300Ms, Escalades and Navigators are being street raced biggrin.gif
woobn8r
The "modification" thing came up because of nitrous systems being added....
My Insurance guy tells me that even adding a ROLL BAR could possibly count as racing equipment and could cause your car to be impounded!!!
VaccaRabite
That is funny.
Every time I have been to Quebec, I am amazed by all the tricked out cars there. it seems like no one drives a stock car around that city. its been about 3 years since I was last there, maybe things have changed?

I've often said that the next time I move, its going to be to Quebec. I have never been in a nicer city. Guyss I'd have to learn French though....

Zach
buzzard
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 8 2008, 10:05 AM) *

That is funny.
Every time I have been to Quebec, I am amazed by all the tricked out cars there. it seems like no one drives a stock car around that city. its been about 3 years since I was last there, maybe things have changed?

I've often said that the next time I move, its going to be to Quebec. I have never been in a nicer city. Guyss I'd have to learn French though....

Zach

Agree on Quebec city , probably my favorite city in Canada and I have lived from Chilliwack , B.C. to St. John's, Newfoundland , although St John's is home and if the weather wasn't so terrible would likely be number one.

The language thing would not be as big a barrier as you might think , and while more of an issue in Quebec than Montreal , you would be amazed at how quickly you would pick it up. (or how much it wouldn't relly matter. It just adds to the charm of the place) Now if they put an NHL team back there it would be perfect.

And not only do they trick out cars they like to drive them in a true French fashion , complete disregard for stops signs and speed limits.
JPB
Hey all a yall! i've been spending some quality time with the new miss 914 and we are sooooo gettin busy lately. Nice to hear from you all again and hope the new year is full of 914 pleasures. bye1.gif

Speaking as a former Quebecer, french being my first language, it is a very loved province for tarvellers and a very hated province for your general Canadian. I was a minority in english speaking Ontario going to english school ey and got into fights on a weekly basis ey. Thats why i look so rough today ey. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.