Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thanks from ancient newbie!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bill Shaw
Just wanted to thank all of the board contributors for the information they've provided for the site. Just bought a 1974 2.0 after being without one for over 15 years. I wasn't exactly looking forward to relearning everything after being so long away from the quirks and problems (I did remember never to listen to your race mechanic when he wants to replace the FI with carbs - 48 IDAs won't idle for crap but, then, when you get over 4000, wow!). Just going through the topics brought back the old enthusiasm to make the car just a leetle bit faster and corner just a leetle bit harder than Porsche originally intended - that, and the burning desire to show my Miata-driving kid the fast way around Road America.

Don't know how much I can contribute to the boards, but I won't hesitate to offer my .02 if I feel the urge. After all, you can't expect much up-to-date info from a guy who remembers when the 914 was the newest thing around and who equipped his original '74 with Scheel seats 'cause they were only $95.00 each.

The fourteener is up on stands now and waiting for the new 19mm master cylinder, ss lines and other assorted mods to be made this winter. We're expecting another 8-12 inches of snow in the next day or so and it looks like I'll have a lot of time to finish this work and plan the next set of changes.

The Happiest of New Years to all and may your roads be curvy and the traffic light!
StratPlayer
Welcome aboard Bill. smilie_pokal.gif
GaroldShaffer
Welcome boldblue.gif driving.gif
Brad Roberts
Welcome Bill clap56.gif clap56.gif

You have come to the right place. Lots and lots of good people here willing to share some pro/semi pro knowledge.

Good luck on your car and make sure you contact the other Michigan owners for event information in your area. There is a great group of guy's not too far from you.

B
bernbomb914
congradulations on your recent purchase. you will spend a lot of time reading this BBS and having a good time working on your never ending project. Welcome

Bernie idea.gif
campbellcj
Congrats and welcome!

I might as well be the one to say -

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
seanery
agree.gif
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 5 2004, 09:01 PM)

Good luck on your car and make sure you contact the other Michigan owners for event information in your area. There is a great group of guy's not too far from you.

B

Bill,
Welcome!!! Send me an e-mail. I'll hook you up with our group.
wavey.gif
DNHunt
Plenty of old guys around here. Welcome, the more the merrier. Watch out for that enthusiasm, it's hard on old guys. We remember stuff like $95 seats. How about gas at 24.9 cents a gallon?

Watch out for Miata's. They're a tough bunch. Maybe you can out drive him. Hope you haven't laid down the gauntlet already. You may have to learn to like crow.

Dave
Gint
Welcome to the board Bill. Feel free to post pics of yout teener in the Members 914 Pictures thread.
Eric_Shea
Welcome Bill,

Another Meeeeeeeeeechigander... (yeah I know it says Utah but I was born and raised just up the road, Lansing and Eaton Rapids) You should make it a habit of checking the garage every couple of days to make sure the rust crystals haven't started forming! lol3.gif (don't ya love Michigan?)

Good luck with your ride!

E.
Bill Shaw
Thanks for the great welcome guys. I'll post some pics as soon as #2 son (the Miata driver) returns my camera.

Dave, thanks for the caution about the Miata bunch. I'll make sure I temper my verbal enthusiasm somewhat. But, after 14 years of SCCA driving (F and G Prod - sorry, Chris, I drove Spitfires - Formula Ford and Formula Atlantic), if the kid thinks he's going to take MY line away going into a corner I'll punt that little ricer so far into the puckerbrush it'll take him a month to find his way out. . . . Damn, there goes the Father of the Year award again.

Unfortunately, I do remember gas at 24.9 a gallon, the sign at our local McDonalds saying: "over ten million sold," dating a girl whose father was a Sunbeam Alpine dealer and watching a new(!) RS61 blow off Corvettes at the local road course. I used to think that made me old, but as long as I still want to be first into a turn so I can watch everyone else get smaller in my mirrors I ain't ready to hang up the driving suit yet.

Hope to see plenty of you at the vintage race at Road America next July!
PatW
QUOTE(Bill Shaw @ Jan 6 2004, 02:57 PM)
if the kid thinks he's going to take MY line away going into a corner I'll punt that little ricer so far into the puckerbrush it'll take him a month to find his way out. . .

Last I checked. Age & treachery still overcomes youth and skill.

Go get em!.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(PatW @ Jan 6 2004, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE(Bill Shaw @ Jan 6 2004, 02:57 PM)
if the kid thinks he's going to take MY line away going into a corner I'll punt that little ricer so far into the puckerbrush it'll take him a month to find his way out.  . .

Last I checked. Age & treachery still overcomes youth and skill.

Go get em!.

AMEN, PAT!!!!!! smilie_flagge24.gif smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.