Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone know Subydude
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
woobn8r
I just checked his website and cannot find the 17" fake Fuchs he had for sale before...

Does anyone know him...or the story?
Gint
There was a thread with a working link to the Fuch's page recently. Here's a search...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=subydude

John
Here:

Lineacorse.com

If I only had a TON of money, I would be all over those. They look real nice.

I like the 17"X9" RSR wheels.
PeeGreen 914
You don't need a ton John. You only need 15 $100 bills biggrin.gif It woulld say that you need a feather lite amount of money wink.gif
John
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jan 7 2008, 08:55 PM) *

You don't need a ton John. You only need 15 $100 bills biggrin.gif It woulld say that you need a feather lite amount of money wink.gif

I have too many bills to pay instead of buying wheels. If I had a 2,000# of cash, there would more than likely be enough left over to buy them.
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif If you had 2000lbs you could by lots of other things too biggrin.gif idea.gif I do like those wheels though. you have me seriously thinking about getting a set when I need to get new tires.
woobn8r
QUOTE(John @ Jan 7 2008, 11:50 PM) *

Here:

Lineacorse.com

If I only had a TON of money, I would be all over those. They look real nice.

I like the 17"X9" RSR wheels.

Thanks John,

I didn't know Lineacorse existed...just subydude.
looks like I can relax now...I was getting worried that these would be discontinued before I sold my other wheels....
flesburg
$5800 for a set of 4 wheels for a $10,000 914 seems like a lot to me...even $5800 for a set of 4 wheels for a $58,000 car seems like a lot of money to me.

$5800 would ALMOST buy me a 3.6L engine.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
Beat me to it.

Zach
TravisNeff
Err umm that is $1500 for a set of 4 wheels, or $325 each. Y'all missed out when they did a group buy when they first made the wheels for $1,000-1200 or so (it might even have included shipping).
rick 918-S
If you have to have 17's that's cool, but I went with 16" X8" and 16" X9"'s from performance products. They list 7" @ 199.95 , 8" 229.95 , 9" s @ 249.95. I'm very pleased with how light these new wheels are compaired to my 15 year old 15" fakes. Definately an advancement in wheel technology.
davep
A friend got a set of 4 7x16 Fuchs for $800 in Kitchener, ON.
Porcharu
I just emailed him last night about a set. $1199 for a set of 17x7-1/2 and 17x9 add shipping and sales tax if you must.
Steve
Chuck
Sean,

Like you, I went on the subydude site the other night and could not find them either. I just thought I'd be forced to choose another wheel. Turns out they are still available which is good because I still have mucho work to do before fitting wheels. The last payment on the 3.2 went out in the mail so I'm starting to catch up with you a wee bit. smile.gif
sixnotfour
new site, new price;
http://www.lineacorse.com/index.php?cPath=4_9
woobn8r
QUOTE(Chuck @ Jan 8 2008, 03:03 PM) *

Sean,

Like you, I went on the subydude site the other night and could not find them either. I just thought I'd be forced to choose another wheel. Turns out they are still available which is good because I still have mucho work to do before fitting wheels. The last payment on the 3.2 went out in the mail so I'm starting to catch up with you a wee bit. smile.gif

Hi Chuck,
I was getting worried as I just got all my wheels up on the PCA-UCR classifieds. I need to sell 'em so I can get new ones....and I need the 17" for my Bridgestone RE-01R 245/40R17s......(It sux that the price went up....I wish we made a 245 in 16")

http://www.pcaucr.org/forum/classifieds.jsp?forumid=105

It's relatively warm here this week...the snow is almost gone. The kids do not have any sports tonight... so I plan on pulling the rest of the suspension out after dinner and I'll be ready for chassis cleaning!!!!!
woobn8r
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Jan 8 2008, 02:39 PM) *

I just emailed him last night about a set. $1199 for a set of 17x7-1/2 and 17x9 add shipping and sales tax if you must.
Steve

Will he still extend that price to other "World" members???
Porcharu
I didn't mention world or any thing else, I just asked if they were still for sale.
Send him and email @
sales@subydude.com

I think I 'Need' a set to go with the new flairs biggrin.gif
Chuck

[/quote]
Hi Chuck,
I was getting worried as I just got all my wheels up on the PCA-UCR classifieds. I need to sell 'em so I can get new ones....and I need the 17" for my Bridgestone RE-01R 245/40R17s......(It sux that the price went up....I wish we made a 245 in 16")

It's relatively warm here this week...the snow is almost gone. The kids do not have any sports tonight... so I plan on pulling the rest of the suspension out after dinner and I'll be ready for chassis cleaning!!!!!
[/quote]

It does seem that wider performance tires in 16" are harder to come by. That is why, like you, I am moving to a 17" rim and tire. Looking at 225 front and 245 rears to fill out the flares.

Did you end up putting the car on a rotisserie for working on the suspension? I pulled the passenger door and started welding the brace before I ran out of MIG gas. If I can get some free time this week during normal business hours, I can pick up some more and also get to work on the rotisserie (got the engine stands). You should start a progress thread. poke.gif
woobn8r
I think I'm going to go 245/40R17s all around....my theory is that the 914 is pretty well balanced inherently and I can adjust any "unruly" handling characteristics with spring rates, anti roll bars and air pressure. The same shoes on all corners also lets me rotate for wear.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselecto...?productID=1111

I have not purchased a rotisserie yet...(had to pay for Christmas and the Wife got laid off) but I do have the CFR door braces on the car and the gaps are set.

I am taking pictures of my progress but, I cannot start a thread at this time as I cannot post pictures here. I use my work computer and cannot add the programs necessary to resize. I plan on a new computer for the house, but I'm spending the $ on my 914 first.

How about your progress thread?
iamchappy
I agree that wider than 245/45 or 245/50 X 16 tires are not available. But if you are using factory flares you cant really shoe horn anything wider than that under there anyhow.
Here are photo's of 245/50 x16 all-season ContiExtremeContacts on 8" rims on the rear and they are plenty wide. I also have a pair of Toyo RA-1's 245/45 on 9" rims and they fill out the flares with very little room left. The car is sitting on a 2 x12 to help you with the tires width.
There are plenty of great 245/45 and 50 series performance tires out there and they do cost a little less.

The Subedude rims are very nice and i might consider purchasing them sometime down the road, but tire selection isn't the main reason as much as the rims are good value compared to other options, and the fact they come in different finishes..
woobn8r
Thanks Chappy,

I chose 245 all around as that is the widest I figured would fit under the flares...
I buy Bridgestones at a very "favorable" price so I do not mind going to 17" because of cost.
I would prefer to stay 16" to get a little more sidewall....but the RE-O1R only comes in a 225/50R16....and I want ALL I can get under the flares. So It's 17" for me and the Subydude rims look to be a good choice....my other alternative is $ 3000.00 for RUF classics.
BKLA
I just bought a set. They are very nicely done!

I have a set of 15 x 8 fuchs with 245's all around, but the tires are getting harder to find.

SO I thought a set of 17's in the RSR style would look nice. Zoeb (Subydude) is a great guy and I HIGHLY recommend talking with him if you are serious.

The wheels look fabulous! I posted pic's at the "other" site last night. (I'm at work now and don't have pics here - so don't give me a hard time bootyshake.gif )

I plan to go with 225/40/17 front and 245/40/17 rear.
Chuck
Sean,

I started a progress thread but I haven't had a lot of time to work on the car so haven't updated it in quite some time. I'm trying to document everything with photos as I go and hope to update the thread. As a newbie here, I find the threads with photos really helpful and hope my work can be of assistance to others. Also be nice for others to see any errors I am making and stop me before I get myself in trouble. biggrin.gif

Chappy,

Thanks for the photos! To me, a 245 just looks right on the rear end of a flared teener. biggrin.gif I probably should have expanded on my oriignal wheel comments. It's not just that there are limited options in the 16" now but that a number of people I have spoken to tell me that there are going to be fewer options for the 16s going forward. Maybe Sean can chime in on that as well. Kind of like trying to find 14" and 15" rubber now. Also, there don't appear to be many options for 16" rims- Fuchs and confused24.gif and the Fuchs are $$. Heck, I don't really see too many 17" options that I like either. Open Excellence, go on Wheel Enhancement's site, etc. everything aftermarket seems to be 18"+. The big rim + rubber band is what is in and the aftermarket is following suit. Right now, I am torn between the 17" RSR replicas and the 17" 993 Cup replicas.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Jan 9 2008, 06:12 AM) *

I think I'm going to go 245/40R17s all around....my theory is that the 914 is pretty well balanced inherently and I can adjust any "unruly" handling characteristics with spring rates, anti roll bars and air pressure. The same shoes on all corners also lets me rotate for wear.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselecto...?productID=1111

I have not purchased a rotisserie yet...(had to pay for Christmas and the Wife got laid off) but I do have the CFR door braces on the car and the gaps are set.

I am taking pictures of my progress but, I cannot start a thread at this time as I cannot post pictures here. I use my work computer and cannot add the programs necessary to resize. I plan on a new computer for the house, but I'm spending the $ on my 914 first.

How about your progress thread?

I would suggest buying and mounting 2 245's first before buying 4 245's.

245's are stuffed on the rear. On the front.... It may require some modification.... sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
iamchappy
I have had my 245/45 x16's mounted on 8's on the front without any trouble dont know about 17's.
woobn8r
Rick,
Don't worry....Bridgestone has a 30 day Guarantee (no fee)return policy!

Chappy, I think you're right....I seen quite a few 914 (gt flare) cars with 245 for front boots...17" should be easier than 16" if there is any difference at all.

Chuck, You are right also...ultra high performance tires are getting scarce in the smaller rim sizes....Touring tires are still available in many of those sizes....but my 914 is purpose specific, and it ain't touring.
Chuck
Sean . . Yep, if I wanted a touring car I would have purchased a Volvo. I'm redoing a Porsche.
John
I'm putting 265/45 -16's (Kumho) on the track car later this winter. (I still have room left with the 245/45-16's.)

I'll have to take a pic to show the clearance. The rears won't be the problem. The issue will be the lower edges of the FRONT fenders and airdam.

I will make them fit.

I had 255/50 -16's on it and they did rub, but I think that was because they were too tall.
burton73
I have ended up with 235/50 16 on 8” Real Fuchs/ 245/50 16 on 9” Real Fuchs. The tires are Pirelli 7000 Super sport. I like the look of a wider rear wheel and a tire and chrome paddle and painted center cap.

Bob
woobn8r
John, Pics are always good.
Bob....all I can say is BEAUTIFUL! That's how my '72 911 looked.

Fittment can also be dependent on tire "shape" as some patterns have a more square shoulder...and prettywell every sidewall has a different contour. Also remember that not every manufacturers 245 is really 245....that's why they make spec books.
davep
What happens when you corner, the suspension bends a little and the tire flexes? If you have little clearance to start with you can easily get rubbing. Not to mention that you have to consider full suspension travel such as when the shocks are at full compression and the tires go high into the fender wells.
woobn8r
Hi Dave,
Generally the tire flexes where it meets the road...not the top....performance tires have very little resonance so all you have to consider is the suspension travel.
In the rear this is again not much of an issue with a "sport" suspension as you will only see a couple of inch travel...but up front with the wheels turned you can get all kinds of mayhem if you have clearance issues.

That's what GT fenders, rolled lips and height adjustments are for....:0)

I have heard of many 914 GTs with 245s up front with no issues....If they can...I can.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.