Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drivers suit, is one better than another? why?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
GaroldShaffer
Ok, I have the cart way before the horse since I don't have the new (to me) Track car back togeher yet, but I have been looking at driver suits. Seems you can spend as little as $200 to well over 1K for one. So is there one brand that is better than another? What do I really need to look for when buying a driver suit? My 914 is an open car if that matters or not.

Thanks! beer.gif
PBritain
personally i think sparco is the best for the money.

k1 has some good ones for cheap. not sure how long they hold up.

simpson is also good if you dont mind the generic look.

if i had unlimited budget id get alpinestars.
PeeGreen 914
This one may be a very nice suit for driving biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Sorry, I couldn't resist av-943.gif blink.gif
GaroldShaffer
laugh.gif

As my dad would say

"everyone likes a little ass, but no one likes a smart ass"

shades.gif biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jan 7 2008, 10:01 PM) *

laugh.gif

As my dad would say

"everyone likes a little ass, but no one likes a smart ass"

shades.gif biggrin.gif

av-943.gif I like that quote blink.gif

At any rate. I know that Sparco is one of the most well known, but I have seen a few of the smaller companies that are very nice. They are all around 1000 for well constructed ones though.
mudfoot76
For what it is worth, I've seen a number of people at my local track days wearing these:

Impact driving suits

I don't know how they will hold up after 5+ yr of use, but after two years so far, the users have good things to say.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Jan 8 2008, 10:10 AM) *

For what it is worth, I've seen a number of people at my local track days wearing these:

Impact driving suits

I don't know how they will hold up after 5+ yr of use, but after two years so far, the users have good things to say.

I have owned both cheap (Racer Wholesale) and moderately expensive (Vanson) suits. Both are well constructed but the Vanson suit was tailored and quilted. It fits and looks much better. Its also a little easier to get in and out of, and the better fit makes it more comfortable when strapped in.
Both have the same sfi 3 layer protection but the Vanson suit is lighter. Some of the newer fabrics allow for a very lightweight suit that meets the same spec as the old 3 layer construction. I know people who also wear nomex underwear along with their 3 layer suit.

(Vanson no longer makes nomex driver suits due to the bigger companies buying up all the available fabric on the market.)
brant
carbon X is a material that is now in competition with nomex
do a google search and read some of their publicity
it really really looks good

I have carbon x gloves and belaclava that I bought this year
I'm really impressed with it.
My next drivers suit is probably a year away and I would definitely try to get a carbon X one next go around.

a bit more expensive, but I can't think of a more painful injury than fire!

brant
PBritain
oh i forgot to mention that, carbon x is ALMOST fire proof, i have carbon x underwear and i can literally hold my arm in a flame and after about 30 seconds it starts to get warm enough where its uncomfortable. nomex will melt away and you will be burning in 15 or so. (typically speaking.)

1 layer of carbon x is equal to 2 layers of nomex.
byndbad914
I have been looking at the Impact suit. I am going with an Impact helmet as I have never tried on a helmet that fit my head that well! Anyway, the cheaper suit and the carbon-X underwear is what I am going to get. I also only do day or two events and no W2W and have an on-board extinguisher I just bought so I will be coated in foam too should a fire erupt. With the undies and the ESS system, I figure that Impact suit will be just fine for what I am doing.
brant
Here is some advertising for carbon X
I know its only advertising, but no one is disputing it out there either
interesting pictures

the fine print indictes 90 seconds for the carbon x
and only 5 seconds for each of the other products

woobn8r
Check your rule book for a safety number (sfi). Around here 3 layers is mandatory.
Most people opt for a 2 layer suit with full underwear as you can wash the underwear and the suit requires less cleanings.
3 layer suits arte also "stiffer" and restrict movement a wee bit more....

Quilting makes the suit more resiliant to wear and "wear out" from cleanings.

Some 3 layer suits have a "quick dry" lining...lotsa $$$ and still requires more trips to the cleaners than a 2+1 arrangement.

Extra costs can be incurred for expandable panels in the shoulders, lower back and other areas, (but, these panels greatly improve comfort). Other extras for a soft collar, shiney outer material, colours/stripes, epaulettes, embroidery etc....

I have always had a tailored suit, and if you plan on spending any time in it at all, it is well worth the extra.
Mugs914
Without fail, the first thing to look for is the SFI rating. Just about every catalog, website or whatever will list the SFI rating for every suit they sell. An SFI 3.2/5, sometimes listed as just SFI 5, is generally a two layer suit, and down here that will make most organizers happy with or without nomex skivvies. Some will let you use a 3.2/1 single layer, but only if you wear the fireproof undies. Like Woob said check with whichever club you plan to run with to see what they require. Regardless of club requirements nomex (or carbon) long johns are cheap insurance should things go terribly wrong and they do help keep your suit from smelling like a locker room.

Once you've found a suit that meets your club and personal safety requirements, then add the extras to your heart's (and wallet's) content. I agree with everything Woob said about comfort. Little annoyances become huge when you can't adjust. That little crease under your shoulder belt will start to hurt after a few minutes and you won't be able to do anything about it until your session is over. The extra cost of some comfort items is money well spent, in my opinion, and while you don't need to spend $1500 on a suit, the ultimate budget job will probably fit like... well... a cheap suit.

Having said all that, we all know the primary purpose of the driving suit is to look incredibly cool at the Denny's for breakfast on the way to the track. Chicks dig race drivers... smilie_flagge24.gif
Brett W
I picked up an UltraShield three layer suit earlier this year. Price was nice and there is plenty of room in it. It is heavy but I can just wear the suit and shorts and a T-shirt. I have had it on in 100+ and 30+ degs. Not unbearable at all. I have undies but rarely wear them. My suit carries and SFI-5 label. The price was in the 400$ range and it has stretch panels over the shoulders so it doesn't bind up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.