Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now I've Done It
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
It was really cold this morning - about 0f when I started up the teener. It started right up, but then the green oil light came on solid. Well I knew I had plenty of oil so I decided it was probably a sender problem - WRONG! After we towed it home after the engine froze up I found a freeze plug on the ground in the middle of the pool of oil that I couldn't see in the dark. ARRRRRGH!!! headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
Brad Roberts
WHOA. That is some bad luck. I have heard of this happening but have never seen it myself. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Let me know if I can help.

B
mightyohm
Oh man, that sucks. I'm sorry. sad.gif
ThinAir
Thanks Brad. For the moment it looks like Mike is gonna bring up his 71 teener from Phoenix for me to use. That will at least give me a way to & from work while I sort things out. Eventually I'll pull apart the original motor that I got with the car (the one with the flattened lifters) and see just what it's gonna take to put it right. I'll tear this one down too eventually, but I'm expecting it will be awhile.

P.S. - The high today was only 26f. It's no wonder none of the snow melted off the teener even though it sat out in the sun! Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the mid 40s - break out the shorts!
redshift
Jees man, I have it good... I know how that can be though..

Sorry you had that happen.. sad.gif

M
Mike9142.0
When did I get a 71 huh.gif
Bleyseng
Yep, cold thick oil and a weak oil passage plug that can fall out. not a pretty sight.

Sorry!

Geoff
McMark
Yeah, sucky. I noticed when I was pulling the plugs out of a few cases that there was one case that had three loose plugs. The plugs would turn as I was trying to thread the slide hammer screw into the hole I had drilled.
Brad Roberts
Do you recall which case that was Mark ?? I would like to scrutinize that case a little more than normal. It may have seem more heat than the others in the past.

b
McMark
Mine
Brad Roberts
Nevermind... laugh.gif

B
DNHunt
That is a sad story. I never knew that could happen. I'm sorry to hear it

Dave
Joe Bob
Sorry to hear about the seize up.........

On a bright note, now you know why they call it the idjut light..... blink.gif
Gint
That sux Ernie. Sorry to hear it.
Queenie
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ Jan 5 2004, 09:25 PM)
For the moment it looks like Mike is gonna bring up his 71 teener from Phoenix for me to use. That will at least give me a way to & from work while I sort things out.

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your engine failure. What a drag.

But I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person here who loses their transportation if their 914 dies.

wink.gif
larryp
Shit, I thought I was the only one daft enough to do something like that. 1986 Rabbit, in 1988, oil light goes (comes? Is it going or coming?) on and I too know it has a full crankcase of oil so it must be a sender.

On I-94 in Chicago, going ca. 65 mph and pop! (it was disturbingly subtle, it would have been a much better story if it was violent) and I tore two connecting rods in half. Well, yeah, I gouged the hell out of a couple cylinders, sheared the skirt off a piston or three, and cracked a chunk out of the bottom of the cylinder (below the stroke path, it must have been one of the rods).

I think it cost me ca. $3,500 for being a doofuss. But we will never ignore those pesky little lights again, will we?

Good luck with yours.
Jake Raby
WHEN THE GREEN LIGHT COMES ON- THE ENGINE GETS SHUT OFF! NO EXCEPTIONS.

Now you see why every engine I build gets thread in type galley plugs.

Now that it dies, you atleast have an excuse to go MassIVe....
McMark
Maybe someone should wire up a switch that will kill the engine if the oil light comes on. Would have to only work after startup has raised oil pressure.
Joe Bob
While we are at it....add a seat belt contact that kills the motor if the seat belt is not hooked up, or how about a kill switch for not having the clutch in when starting......NOT IN MY CAR.....

BTW....Sponge Bob's meat in those burgers is crab....not beef.... laugh.gif

Or should be since they are "Crabby Patties".....I know every episode by heart.....my kid's can't fool ME when they say they want to see a new episode and not do their homework.... mueba.gif
aufaber
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jan 7 2004, 07:31 AM)
Maybe someone should wire up a switch that will kill the engine if the oil light comes on. Would have to only work after startup has raised oil pressure.

That would be awesome coming through a turn.. Oil runs up the sump.. Oil pickup gets uncovered.. pressure dips and the light comes on. Magic switch kills teh engine and all of a sudden you are spinning out of control. Just remember Both Feet In.. hehe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.