Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: color name
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JulesD
Hello fellow 914ers,

I recently purchased my first 914; a 75 914 1.8L. The car has no rust (as opposed to many other ones I looked at first) and it has all the FI stuff still installed.

I was wondering if this is a color that was available back then, and if so, what is it called? I think the trunks and under the mats is still original paint, but not sure.

Really enjoying the car! The weather is perfect now in AZ to drive with the top off.

Thanks!

JulesD
btw, any 914 meets in AZ anytime soon?
stateofidleness
...so you have a running 914 with no rust? LIES! lol

not sure on the name.. can't be of much help here but the car looks nice!

Welcome!
davep
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

Looks to be Ancona blue.
Check the paint code on the Karmann badge located on the drivers door hinge post. Compare to the list.

While you are at it, please record and post the VIN, the paint code and the body # found on the Karmann badge:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74444
ejm
You can find the color code on the Karmann tag on the drivers door jamb and match it to this chart

welcome.png
So.Cal.914
Almost looks like Alaska Blue Metallic. But that would be 73-74.

Heres a chart, maybe it will help.

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html
jasons
Did you get that car off Craigslist a few months ago out of like Peoria? I think I called on it the day it sold. It looked like a good deal.

BTW AZ stuff comes up frequently. There is the Route 66 drive in March.

welcome.png
JulesD
Wow, thanks for the overwhelming replies!!

No rust; really biggrin.gif Most of the ones I looked at had rust in the rear trunk and -i guess- the hell hole? (whats in a name)

I will check the tag when I get home today and 'report' back tomorrow!

JulesD
thanks for the link to the color chart. I am pretty sure it is anacona.

& yes, this is the car from peoria. I spent a couple of weeks replacing the clutch, fixing the oil leaks, doing the brakes and cleaning it up a bit.

I also have the original steel wheels with it, but i like these a lot. Look like repop Empis.

davep
Looks nice.

Another thing when you start looking at the badges is to see if you can get the white numbers from the engine tin and the info from the emissions decal, then post it in Jeff Bowlsby's thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=79550
stateofidleness
that color in the engine bay mmmmm
i have a guitar that color
IPB Image
JulesD
where would I find the 'white numbers' and the emissions decal? All in the engine comp?
davep
Yes, and see my edited posts above for some links.
Cevan
Before pronouncing it rust-free, remove the rocker covers, battery, ECU and charcoal cannister. Inspect aroound the jackposts and jamb a screwdriver around the hellhole area and engine shelf.

I thought mine was "rust-free" but found a small hole in the hellhole area and another in the engine shelf right next to it. I was lucky, my longs had only minor surface rust around the jackpost area.

welcome.png
AZ914
Welcome! Where in AZ are you?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(JulesD @ Jan 9 2008, 11:02 AM) *

thanks for the link to the color chart. I am pretty sure it is anacona.

& yes, this is the car from peoria. I spent a couple of weeks replacing the clutch, fixing the oil leaks, doing the brakes and cleaning it up a bit.

I also have the original steel wheels with it, but i like these a lot. Look like repop Empis.

Not that your wrong, but your paint looks metallic and I don't think Anacona is.

Car does look great, oh and welcome.png

Click to view attachment
robby750
Ancona blue is a metallic color. That is the color of my car and the one pictured as an example looks darker. Either the lighting in the photo makes it look that way or the car is not Ancona.
JulesD
I'm in Chandler, AZ

My car is def. metallic blue, so now I am not sure whether it is ancona or not unsure.gif I'll check them thar details and add what I can find to the database.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(robby750 @ Jan 9 2008, 12:08 PM) *

Ancona blue is a metallic color. That is the color of my car and the one pictured as an example looks darker. Either the lighting in the photo makes it look that way or the car is not Ancona.

Robby says his is Anacona and it is metallic, so it could be. The pic I posted is

from the color chart site, so it must be a poor representation of the color. My

mistake.
Twise
Taste it - If it tastes like L97B, then bingo it is Ancona blue. Nice car - I am in SoCal, but have been thinking my car will be ready for that R66 run in March. Anyone got any more details???
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Twise @ Jan 9 2008, 12:33 PM) *

Taste it - If it tastes like L97B, then bingo it is Ancona blue. Nice car - I am in SoCal, but have been thinking my car will be ready for that R66 run in March. Anyone got any more details???

Route 66 thread
Gint
Good lookin 914!

welcome.png
JulesD
Checked e/t last nite.

VIN 475 2910396

built 05/75

Color L97B

Karman Body 2039013

Engine ECO44322

California emissions (sold new by Porsche in San Mateo CA, have the service booklets); still has the catalyst.

I can't find any white numbers on the engine tin. Maybe I did not look in the right place tho huh.gif

I'll add this to the database.

The jack points under the car and in the rocker are solid as can be smile.gif

davep
Check out this thread to see more info on the engine tin numbering:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=77130

Thanks for the data from your car, that really helps.
JulesD
Where does the route 66 drive start on Sat? Somewhere I read it was at a starbucks in Scottsdale, but I'll be damned if i can find it again. headbang.gif

It'll take me all day to check all of them.
burton73
I never met a Blue Porsche I did not like. The color charts do not show you the right color.

Bob

George H. What is a blue member?
welcome.png
jasons
QUOTE(JulesD @ Jan 10 2008, 11:07 AM) *

Where does the route 66 drive start on Sat? Somewhere I read it was at a starbucks in Scottsdale, but I'll be damned if i can find it again. headbang.gif

It'll take me all day to check all of them.

Its in March....

CLICK THIS LINK FOR INFO!!!!
rick 918-S
welcome.png
JulesD
Ok. I looked at the link again and read it top to bottom, again. I know now who is in what room and that we booked 40%, not 25% of the la posada hotel.

It still does not tell me where you guys meet to start off the route 66 drive on Saturday, March 8th.

am I blind or WTF.gif

jasons
Hmmm, OK try this one.... http://z8.invisionfree.com/ClubNARP/index.php?showtopic=3182
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.