Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cordless impact gun
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iamchappy
I purchased a 24v Goodyear Racing 1/2 drive impact gun yesterday at Pep Boys for 79.00 and was told they go on sale at times on their Black Friday offers for 59.00.

I was looking for a convenient impact gun without spending Hundreds. This gun is not a replacement for my Pneumatic IR heavy-duty gun but one for easy removal of lug nuts for quick tire changes without having to fire up the compressor and dragging an air hose all over the place.

I tested it on a lugnut i torqued to 150lbs and it spun it off with ease. I wouldn't expect it to do much more than that. If you have your lugs on at 95lbs this will do a great job of taking them off and putting them on for you.
davep
Sounds like a good deal for the application at $59.
Always use a torque wrench for installing the nuts or bolts. At a VW-Audi shop I worked at years ago mechanics were warping brake rotors by using the guns. That made for very expensive balance jobs.
iamchappy
With this gun I dont think you would have to worry about that.
My test while installing a lug when it hammered it on for a few blips was around 110lbs.

Use the gun to take them off and to snug it on and torque the rest of the way.
davep
The big problem is when you fully torque one nut/bolt before any of the others is on. I start by spinning the nuts/bolts on finger tight, torque all to 60 or 70 ft-lbs, then again to full torque. Sometimes I even do it in three rounds or torquing when using the aluminum nuts. And of course, do it in the proper cross pattern as appropriate to the task at hand. You have no idea what damage that can be done with 100 ft-lbs on a single fastener when no other fasteners are installed.
retrofit
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jan 9 2008, 10:45 AM) *

I purchased a 24v Goodyear Racing 1/2 drive impact gun yesterday at Pep Boys for 79.00 and was told they go on sale at times on their Black Friday offers for 59.00.

I was looking for a convenient impact gun without spending Hundreds. This gun is not a replacement for my Pneumatic IR heavy-duty gun but one for easy removal of lug nuts for quick tire changes without having to fire up the compressor and dragging an air hose all over the place.

I tested it on a lugnut i torqued to 150lbs and it spun it off with ease. I wouldn't expect it to do much more than that. If you have your lugs on at 95lbs this will do a great job of taking them off and putting them on for you.

agree.gif have had one for 2 yrs-very handy. When we hit the road towing our trailer the cordless is always along. Had to do an emergency wheelbearingectomy at Petaluma fairgrounds. Without the impact tool and sockets job would have been more hell than it was.
Allen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.