Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Somebody is a 914 joker...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
WTF.gif
So.Cal.914

This crazy design study by Porsche combines a front engine Audi, a mid-engine 914 and a rear engine 911. I don’t seem to recall it making it into production. This is an original glossy 8 x 10” press photo printed by Porsche Audi Division in 1970. Lower right says PA 195-70.

Aaah, in the drawing it shows two six's in the rear, so is it a 2.0-six and a 2.2? confused24.gif

sww914
Where's the flux drive capacitor?
ejm
"Whatever you're looking for, you'll find it on eBay!" laugh.gif
McMark
I'm guessing it would be a comparison of what front engine, mid engine and rear engine are. wink.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 9 2008, 09:10 PM) *

I'm guessing it would be a comparison of what front engine, mid engine and rear engine are. wink.gif

I have seen a Porsche Audi ad with the Audi, 914 and 911....it said something to the fact of "no matter where you want your engine" or something like that.

Maybe it was part of that ad campaign?
So.Cal.914
I would think it would be difficult to get the rpm's and powerbands sync'd well enough to get smooth acceleration. I guess thats what the engineers are for.
Was it for real?
Brian Mifsud
I believe that they are showing the flexibilty of an engine/transaxle design that can be used in either front, mid or rear engined arrangements.

You can use it to educate a simple-minded bean-counter that the new sports car you want to fund can use a lowly Audi transmission (see boxster)????
ClayPerrine
If they put the transmission in the middle, they could link the two engines. Then they get 12 cylinders without all the hassle of a long crankshaft.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 9 2008, 08:10 PM) *

agree.gif it looks more like a schematic to show the differences between front/mid/rear engined cars.

i don't think it was a "design" study at all ...
idea.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
Ok.
byndbad914
sad thing is that if it were a design study, the car would've still made less than 500HP with three engines dry.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
I believe the intent here was to use a system similar to what the USN relied upon when there were 4 boilers on board.

One engine was being utilized, the second was on "standby"', and the third engine was "off-line" for maintenance/repair.

poke.gif

Paul
Allan
When I got my car it was set up like that.

Then I converted to a single 2.7 six... biggrin.gif
mel reckling
Looks like something you'd see at a Super-mod tractor pull.
AZ914
Wolfgang bought it!
Root_Werks
Is the front an early Mustang? blink.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 11 2008, 05:08 PM) *

IPB Image

Audi 100 ...
Gustl
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 11 2008, 05:08 PM) *

check these mag ads

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

bye1.gif Gustl
Sleepin
Eureka!~~!!!

JeffBowlsby
Hey Wolfgang...congrats on picking this up...I think... yikes.gif

When you get it, tell us if its a hacked photo-chop image or if its legitimate!
Gustl
thanks Jeff, I will happily show you what I get beerchug.gif

I'm pretty sure that it's no fake. On the one hand, the photo is labled PA 195-70 (all official press photos from Porsche+Audi are labled like this / very similar), on the other hand, it would fit the other offficial magazine ads with the 3-car-strategy.
We will see ...

bye1.gif Gustl
Gustl
voilá - it arrived yesterday

I'm pretty sure it's no fake

it's exactly the same size (255x204 mm) than the other 914 US press photos that I have
it's the same paper quality - front and back - that my other 914 US press photos
the "label" is the same style (PA 195-70) than my other 914 US press photos (PA 157-70, PA 159-70, PA 254-71, PA 257-71)

off course, if somebody knows enaugh about all these details, he might produce a fake, but what for?
it would need pretty much investment for hardly any interest on the world market ...

from my personal view, I'm pretty sure that it's original and I'm happy that I could buy it smilie_pokal.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
Mugs914
Actually, it looks like a test vehicle to see how badly you could over rev an Audi motor...

tongue.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 26 2008, 10:22 AM) *

I'm pretty sure it's no fake

it looks to be part of the ad campaign from the Audi/911/914 poster above ...
smile.gif Andy
Sleepin
Might make an interesting conversion for a twin engined 12 cylinder....keep the 914 front end....just morph a 911 rear on there and presto!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.