Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big storm for the PNW, I think I'll stay home
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I know we're a bunch of wimps when it comes to snow. Already have some ice on the roads. Forecast is for 4-8" new changing to rain this afternoon. Possible freezing rain (nasty stuff). All the schools are closed. Think I'll stay home and bug the wife (nobody comes to the dentist when they have a ready made excuse). I'd just be sitting there watching it snow. The driveway rises 200' in 1/3 mile. Have I rationallized enough yet.

If I stay home I can finish the car. All I have left is put in the center console and hook up the MegaSquirt brain, install seats, attach engine bay hood, fill with gas, and put on wheels. Course there's bound to be some little problem and there will be adjustments to make like ride heigth and shifting.

What would you do?

Dave
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jan 6 2004, 06:28 AM)
The driveway rises 200' in 1/3 mile. Have I rationallized enough yet.

What would you do?

i think you just talked yourself into a limited-slip differential !
DNHunt
Actually, I have Scuby. It'll make it if isn't pushing too much snow and it's not a sheet of ice. Easier going up than down.

Dave
rhodyguy
save the engine lid for the very last. i'm looking forward to riding in your "new" car. the garage must seem like it's getting larger by the day.

kevin
DNHunt
Ya, the garage is growing. I kinda miss the mess. I can actually walk all the way around the car without stepping over anything.

Most of the parts are going back on. Found a couple of parts I can't identify that are going to be leftovers. I hate the extra parts. Everthing I've ever put back together has had extras. Nuts and bolts are the worst. Fortunately, there's none of those this time.

Dave
boxstr
Lots of snow falling down here in PDX. Temp is 20 on the gauge, 7 with the wind chill factor. Staying in todya and putting together rear trunk shox kits. Doubt if any will get mailed until tomorrow.
CCLINSNOWBOUND
DNHunt
Looks like my place but, it's snowing hard here. Made the right choice staying home. I love to drive in the snow. But, around here if you are on the road in the snow you are a target for some idiot going way too fast.

Dave
914werke
In a 914! w00t.gif driving-girl.gif laugh.gif
rhodyguy
especially comuting on a 4 lane bridge, hundreds of feet high, with no center barriers.

kevin
Eric_Shea
WTF... we actually have a member who put's these things back together? I thought we were supposed to tear them apart and then ask a lot of questions for a couple of years... blink.gif
J P Stein
I'm voting with my feet.....keeping my slippers on & staying home. smile.gif It's 19 deg & snowing here, 4 inches over a 2 inch base, with more white stuff, then sleet, freezing rain, yada, to come blink.gif

I may slip out to the shop to do some carpet or maybe I'll take a nap. idea.gif
boxstr
He is a non-conforming member. There may be some retaliation from those still asking questions. Be very afraid. laugh.gif
CCLINASSEMBLYMODE
3d914
Well, there's no snow in Phoenix and its supposed to get up to 74deg.
I've got my top off and just lookin for an excuse to leave the office.

I think I should have stayed home too!

Ya know what - I think my back is strating to get sore . . . laugh.gif

Enjoy!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 6 2004, 09:55 AM)
... Be very afraid.

no kidding! a dentist who "always has parts left over" ?

(damn. how'd that bicuspid get over there ...)
redshift
The air conditioner must be stuck, it's got to be 50 degrees in here..

M
Eric_Shea
just lookin for an excuse to leave the office

Drop the engine... hang out... ask a lot of questions. smile.gif
Bruce Allert
Most all have gone home 'cept for a few that will stay over to take care of the kennels.
22 degrees with 5" of white shit still comin down heavy in Boring. Scooby Doo with studs & the T100 are a real + for this crap. But look on the bright side. It might be 50 on Saturday & we can play golf boldblue.gif

........b
airsix
It wouldn't do me any good to stay home. It was -9F in the garage yesterday. No way am I going out there to work on a 914 ice-sculpture. Can't get kerosine for the heater - whole town's sold out.

-Ben (making 4wheel roostertails in the yodabeater)
Eddie Williams
Gerard,

I think I spotted your 914 the last time I was in Phoenix. Sept timeframe. I was in Tempe, heading to Mill Ave... Love The Library!!!!

Eddie
Eric Taylor
It's a solid sheet of ice here at the beach. The entire town is closed for the most part. 101 is shut down, becuse I guess there is an inch of ice on it ohmy.gif . I've got new speakers for the audi to put in so i'm set. Might have to brave the cold to go and get wire.
Eric
rhodyguy
just great. frigid air trapped at the surface. the freezing rain is coming next. the big melt on wed and the flooding will be close behind.

kevin
Bleyseng
In Seattle at 11AM we have about 3" of snow and its 27 degrees out. Good thing I got the 4 wheel drive working on the effin POS Ranger. Maybe I'll go out just to use it after spending another $400 on that piece of crap for a truck.
There is noway I am working on the 914, I'm with JP. Put on the slippers, a CD and drink coffee while reading the latest Der Spiel. Fuck work for once... dance.gif

Geoff
DNHunt
Not getting much done. Gonna go out and sled with the rest of the family. Gonna get some use out of the 200' rise in a 1/3 mile. I might even try the hairpin on the Flexible Flyer. We get enough snow for real sleds about once every 10 years. Gotta give it a go.

Dave
rhodyguy
you folks that deal with this frequently, or don't at all, prob don't realize the paralysis this stuff causes here.

kevin
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 6 2004, 12:30 PM)
you folks that deal with this frequently, or don't at all, prob don't realize the paralysis this stuff causes here.

'course we do :-) ...

in Atlanta they still talk about "The Blizzard of (19)75" in which 3" of snow shut down the city for a week...
rhodyguy
24 and still coming down hard. this is the equivilant of lake effect snow to us. 24 in the garage too.

kevin
airsix
One car in the parkinglot today. Me.

15 deg. F today and over a foot of snow still coming down hard. 100yrd visibility. I can't believe this. We're only 300 feet above sea level. We never get snow. Haven't seen snow like this since I lived in Idaho at >5,000Ft. I'm the only person who came to work today!

Toyota 4x4 w/ 32inchers doing good. 914 tucked away safe.

-Ben (Omega man, Kennewick Man, Otzi the Iceman)
Bleyseng
yep, everything is frozen here with a icy coating. Sitting in the office doing paperwork which I hate in my slippers. Could be worse.
Atleast the 4wheel drive worked great last night when we went out to go sleding on the steep hills on Beacon Hill. Monique's son Zach even got out his snowboard and went down the street with it.

Geoff
J P Stein
What a freakin' mess.
I had about 8 in of snow/sleet in the back yard...then it started raining. Now there are puddles in the snow that are slowly freezing....it's about 25 deg & still raining.
Cabin fever is setting in. headbang.gif
sharper
The Atlanta blizzard was in the mid 90's and was around a foot deep, which of course shut down the city. The problem now is that with a laptop I have no excuse for not working. If it snows I am just stuck working from home and can't work on the car.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(sharper @ Jan 7 2004, 11:00 AM)
The Atlanta blizzard was in the mid 90's and was around a foot deep, which of course shut down the city.

i was in Atlanta in 1981 (and not since) when i heard this, so there must have also been an earlier one... there was a lot of snow (everywhere, it seems...) in 1995...
morph
We've been stuck at home for 2 days now, everything is a snowy, icy mess. can't wait till it melts.
J P Stein
I suppose if the power goes out I cab fire up the barbeque
TravisNeff
I like the snot icicles on the masks.
boxstr
Portland Airpot has been closed since Monday and it is going to continue for another day. I couldn't get out of here if I wanted to.
Streets are sheets of ice and they are predicting more freezing rain for this PNW.
First time in ten years FEDEX did not make deliveries. Begining to suck.
CCLINTHESHINING
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.