Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help! On pedal assembly rebuild...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nor.Cal.914
I'm trying to rebuild my pedal assembly and I'm having a little bit of trouble. I bought all my rebuild parts, springs, bushings, and a new hollow set pin. But I have a problem. I can't get the old hollow set pin out of the clutch pedal to take the whole assembly apart! It's like its welded in there! sad.gif Any recommendations on how to get the pin to come out?! Please let me know! Thanks!
-Chris
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif I hate that pin. I found the easiest way to get it out is to put the cluster in a bench vise and use an air hammer. It takes all of two seconds once you have it all set up. Otherwise it can take hours.
Nor.Cal.914
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 9 2008, 11:09 PM) *

av-943.gif I hate that pin. I found the easiest way to get it out is to put the cluster in a bench vise and use an air hammer. It takes all of two seconds once you have it all set up. Otherwise it can take hours.

We've spent hours already trying to drill the stupid thing out and it just wouldn't budge! mad.gif I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Thanks
-Chris
PeeGreen 914
Drilling won't really work on those as they have multi layers to them sad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 9 2008, 10:21 PM) *

Drilling won't really work on those as they have multi layers to them sad.gif

And they're REALLY hard. One person holds the cluster so the pin is over a deep socket, supporting the pinned portion of the pedal, the other person uses a BFH and a roll pin punch to knock the pin out. THEN, you apply heat to the area surrounding the pin while holding the other end of the shaft in the vise. LOTS of heat. Probably have to use an oxy/aceteylene torch. Work the pedal arm back and forth on the shaft until it comes off. NEVER beat on the end of the shaft. Ever. The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
I took mine to a machineist and had him press it out. best $15 bucks I have spent.

Save the pin. The one sold in many of the kits is just as hard to get in as the old one was to get out. I reused the old pin, otherwise, it would have been another trip to the machinist. The old pin was still tough to reinsert, but I was able to do it with a 5 pound hammer.

Zach
Eric_Shea
Man... I've never had problems with these pins and I've built a ton of assemblies. Check the "Classic" forum for a rebuild article.

The trick is an air hammer and a pointed bit to get it started. "Brap-brap" and it instantly moves a good 1/8 inch. That 1/8" allows you to seat a proper 3/16" drift in the hole and finish the job.

If you don't have an air hammer with a pointed bit, take it to someone who does.

Same goes for getting the new pin in. I used a press. No problems whatsoever and I've probably built over 50 of these things. You can also use a decent quality bench vise (you can break an el cheapo). Both can be tricky in lining up the pin but... always doable (fairly easy when compared to some other 914 jobs).

Air hammer - Pointed bit - Proper drift - Done.
racunniff
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 10 2008, 12:09 AM) *

agree.gif
That's how I did mine. Be very careful not to damage anything as you clamp / air hammer the assembly.
Cevan
What about HEAT???? blowtorch.gif Alot of heat, a vice and a good punch will work. It did with mine. I had someone holding the pedal cluster in addition to using a vice. If you're replacing the bushing (which I'm assuming you are) then who cares if the OEM plastic ones melt.
rjames
I took mine to a machineist and had him press it out. best $15 bucks I have spent.

Save the pin. The one sold in many of the kits is just as hard to get in as the old one was to get out. I reused the old pin, otherwise, it would have been another trip to the machinist. The old pin was still tough to reinsert, but I was able to do it with a 5 pound hammer.

As everyone has stated, they are a bitch. My went to a local machinist. I would definitely use a new roll pin though and throw out the old. I was able to press a new pin in using my el cheapo vice, and in support of Eric's post, my vice was destroyed in the process, but I got the pin installed. I still need to get a new vice. smile.gif
ruddyboys
I had the same problem, it wouldn't budge with just hammering, heat and drilling, found a rebuilt one on evil-bay for about $20.
Nor.Cal.914
Thank you for all the suggestions!! Unfortunately, I do not have an air hammer! How about an air chisel? I have one of those biggrin.gif I think I'm going to try using a heat gun and a hammer and punch once before I give up. I can have the pin pressed out at school if it ends up coming to that. I just wish there was an easy way to get this damn pin out, but apparently there isn't mad.gif I'm going to head out right now and see if I can get anything done. Thanks again for the help everyone, I really appreciate it!
-Chris
roadster fan
one man's air hammer is another man's air chisel. just use the pointed bit as Eric suggested and out it comes. good luck.

Jim
Nor.Cal.914
Ok cool I'll try that too then! Thanks!
-Chris
Joe Ricard
Pfft,
I took a properly sized punch and a 5 lb Hammer. Whack whack and it wouldn't budge, flip it over hit the other side came right out.

Joe Owensby
In the for what its worth department: I was rebuilding mine a year or so ago. I had some of the POR 15 cleaning fluid, and I just dropped the pedal assembly in it to see what it did. The next day, the pin was gone. I don't remember if it was the POR 15 de-greaser, or the de-ruster. I had just treated the gas tank and had this left so I was trying to see what it did on the rusty pedals. This was on a pedal assy that had never been disassembled, as I bought the car new, so the pin was whatever was installed at the factory. I had a second assembly from a parts car, and the pin was relatively easy to drive out using a punch and a medium size hammer. Re-assembly was relatively easy using a new pin, and a vise to press it in.

JoeO
Nor.Cal.914
I've tried hammering it repeatedly from both sides and still have nothing to show for it! This pin is really starting to piss me off!! mad.gif How much are rebuilt pedal assemblies? Let me know. Thanks
-Chris
VaccaRabite
Take it to your school and press it out. You can do this. Rebuilt ones are like $100. If you have the bushings, then you have already spent ~25.

There are lots of projects that are better spent getting help from someone with specialized tools and know how. This is an easy project, but the pin is a bitch.

Zach
scrz914
Chris, I had the same difficulty and here's what I did. Some of this may fall in the voodoo wrenching department, but it worked for me.

1. Use PB Blaster and keep spraying it on everyday for weekend, week, whatever.
2. Drill out the center of the pin. It drills out easy because there's not much material there. My thinking was that it might relieve some of the tension (voodoo wrenching?).
3. Get a roll pin punch. Yes they do exist. But I couldn't find one so what I did was buy a regular punch the same size as the pin at OSH, can't remember the size but it was a perfect match. Then I drilled down the pin with a drill bit for hard metal (OSH) just enough so that the punch would seat and not jump around. Then bring out the BFH and as someone else said, have someone hold it over a socket or vise. If there's any rebound you won't get enough hammer force.

Once I did that, it came right out. Initially I tried the air hammer and propane heat. Maybe that helped loosen things up but it sure didn't do the job.
Also, be careful if you use PB Blaster and then flame. That stuff is nasty toxic and combustible.

Keep at it, you'll get it.

I should say also that after I got the pin out I thought the clutch arm would just slip off. No such luck. After PB Blaster and heat didn't work I finally used a hacksaw and with surgical precision sliced it off along side the shaft. Eric Shea then sent me a replacement clutch arm and pedal. And already plated to boot!

Good luck.
Cevan
This is the easiest way, no drilling required, no air tools required:

1. Get a torch.
2. Heat the hell out of it. blowtorch.gif blowtorch.gif blowtorch.gif
3. Hit the pin out. smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
Nor.Cal.914
I had a friend take the pedal assembly to work with him where he had the proper tools. He cleaned it for me too, so apparently it looks brand new again! biggrin.gif He got the pin pressed out for me, so now I'm going to rebuild it and get it back in the car again. Thanks again for all your help everyone!
-Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.