Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone used Toyo R888 tires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
drew365
The spec Boxster group that I will run with this year is about to name the Toyo R888 as the spec tire, mostly because of a contingency fund that Toyo is putting up. No one has run the tire and they are relying on it performing like the RA1's that the spec 944 class uses. Has anyone used the R888's and have an opinion on them?
SirAndy
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jan 10 2008, 07:53 AM) *

The spec Boxster group that I will run with this year is about to name the Toyo R888 as the spec tire, mostly because of a contingency fund that Toyo is putting up. No one has run the tire and they are relying on it performing like the RA1's that the spec 944 class uses. Has anyone used the R888's and have an opinion on them?

not yet. last season with the PRC Toyo Spec was run on the RA1 tires ...
driving.gif Andy
drew365
Do you know if the R888 is going to replace the RA1 or are they going to continue to make both?
SirAndy
Proxes R888 Tech Specs:
The following sizes are now available.
The Toyo RA-1 will be phased out and eventually replaced by the new R888.
By the end of 2008, all sizes of RA-1 are expected to be replaced by the R888.

bye1.gif Andy
drew365
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 10 2008, 05:25 PM) *

Proxes R888 Tech Specs:
The following sizes are now available.
The Toyo RA-1 will be phased out and eventually replaced by the new R888.
By the end of 2008, all sizes of RA-1 are expected to be replaced by the R888.

bye1.gif Andy

Thanks, Andy that's encouraging. That makes me think that the R888 may have similar wear characteristics to the RA1 which everyone seems to like.
bumble
We've had R888s for quite a while downunder. Some personal impressions compared to RA1s - I run 225x16x7s all round

R888s are VERY predictable - much more so than RA1 IMHO. Whereas the RA1s work best shaved, the R888s have a much bigger tread block and don't seem to require shaving.

I found the optimum pressure for RA1s to be ~37lb hot, the R888s seem to be happier with less - e.g. ~32lb hot. Wear characteristics seem to be as good or better than RA1.

Cheers,

Mark
drew365
QUOTE(bumble @ Jan 14 2008, 04:52 AM) *

We've had R888s for quite a while downunder. Some personal impressions compared to RA1s - I run 225x16x7s all round

R888s are VERY predictable - much more so than RA1 IMHO. Whereas the RA1s work best shaved, the R888s have a much bigger tread block and don't seem to require shaving.

I found the optimum pressure for RA1s to be ~37lb hot, the R888s seem to be happier with less - e.g. ~32lb hot. Wear characteristics seem to be as good or better than RA1.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for that information Mark. The fact that they wear as well as the RA1's is real good news.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.