Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AA's front spoiler installation...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Since I broke my mirror last night (see thread), now I'm finally getting around to installing my front spoiler that I got from AA a while back.
It's the economy version (it looks like it too) and I did talk to someone at AA after I got it on istalling it, but this was a few months ago.
Can anyone offer me any tips or tricks to make this job go smoother?
Any help is appreciated.
Andy...
rhodyguy
i forgot to add this at pp. i started by trying to line up the corners at the point where they attach at the wheel wells with some clamps. then the front bowed out and the front mounting tabs were WAY off the front of the body. it was under a lot of pressure. i figured the first contact with anything and the p.o.s. would explode. the finnish was horrible!!! voids (pits, chips etc). i was very disappointed. i think the spoiler had been returned before.

kevin
914zim
Kevin:
Thanks for the post.
Yeah, I was dissapointed on the quality as soon as I took it out of the box (back in Sept).
I actually called AA and bitched about it and said I wanted to send it back and I hadn't even tried to put it on yet. I ended up talking to a manager and he talked me through how to put it on, which made me feel a little better. He said something like "we've been making this spoiler for XX years and have never had one returned"
Sounds like BS to me. He told me to get a spray can and spray it flat black. I think I'd better try to get it attached first, in case I need to return it!
I did notice the tabs seemed way off too. The guy told me I need to take off the bumper. Did you do this?
I have a 76, what year is yours?
Andy...
rhodyguy
andy, fit it first! believe me, if you paint it first you will have to remove it to repaint. krylon semi flat looks sharp. if you prime, use black. aa tried to give me the run around on mine, i was persistant. i think what saved me was the issue regarding sending me what i considered the econo version. SINCE THEY NO LONGER STOCK THE DELUX VERSION!! i located a used s.e. that was cracked (thanks craig). i had a local shop repair it for less than i would have spent on materials. i have to look at the dates on the the return slip. maybe you got mine laugh.gif .

kevin
p914
buy the ABS one. It is unbreakable. Use long screws with rubber washers to fill in the gap on the bowed part.
boxstr
Gone on the AA forum and ask there.
CCLININFOWHORE
RON S.
Andy,
Heres my 2cw on the subject.
Heres a couple pics of my front end of my 6.Hood is a Getty pc,bumper & valance came from A.I.R.
Most all pcs.I've seen are flat.From one side of the valance to the other.
However,our cars have a curvature to them from one side to the other.When you attach the pc it doesn't fit,then when you run some longer screws to reach the body and tighten them up,the 'glass begins to stress.One hard bump and the ears attaching it break and your done for the day.
I heard the same B.S.from the clownboys who answer the phones at these places.Same molds we've always used.Well their molds are shit cause the pcs.come out flat and the cars are curved.
Here's how I solved the prob for me.
take the current bumper& valance off the car,and jack the front end up high enough to crawl under the car to work.
Now,you'll need an extra hand,& lots of patience from here on.
Drill the holes in the valance ears for fit.
Next,I did this.From the back side of the valance,I took my dremel and cut a series of grooves,vertically from top to bottom.I made them an inch or so apart,from driverside to pass.side.I grooved all the way thru the 'glass but not thru the gelcoat.This makes the valance flimsy,like an accordian,but it will allow it to flex.That's the need for the extra hand.
Now start drilling your holes needed in the body and bolt to fit.When you get it locked down,ya gotta go under the car and from behind the valance glass across some of the cut grooves and let it sit to harden.Now when you take it off,it'll hold the shape of the car.Flip it over and glass up the backside completely.It'll fit the car then.When you attach the bumper you'll have to maybe slot your holes.but at least there.

Ron
RON S.
One thing about the B.S.
My valance came from A.I.R,and I SPECIFICALLY asked the clownboy on the phone if the valance I wanted could be had w/flared ends as my car has flares.He said yes,when I got it it had no flared ends.Boy was I pissed.I called him up and got the usual: "that's the one we sell to everybody"
I grooved it out to the ends,held it in place w/clamps,and glassed it till it formed to my flares.
Hope it helps.
Ron
scotty
Nice job flaring it -- it looks great!
914zim
It does look great!
Thanks for the additional info guys!
Andy...
Scott Carlberg
Ron Szymanski....

can you post pics of your entire car, not just the front end? looks pretty nice
RON S.
I'll take some quick jpegs tonight.
Heres a couple shots of what this thread is talin about w/poor fit glass.
This shot is how I had to cut up an oil cooler shroud to get it to fit right.
I did assume to need to do some cuttin,cause I've installed a modified Mazda cooler,but this was redicules.?
Ron
RON S.
second shot is done,completed & installed.fitting nice.

Ron
Scott Carlberg
Ron,
I meant of your car, not parts of it.

I'd like to see what those wheels look like, how they look with the flares.

a complete car pic
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.