Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeaky Front End
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bertus
My front end makes creaking/squeaking noises when I come down off of the driveway, and when making hard turns. A few people have suggested that it is my front bushings.

Are they talking about the A-arm bushings? If so how difficult are these to replace?

Thanks in advance for any help! biggrin.gif

Bert
So.Cal.914
Can you be more specific on the noise, does it change in pitch with the speed of the car? or just when the suspension is under stress.
PeeGreen 914
From the sounds of it it does sound like your bushings. Yes, it would be the ones where the torsion bars are. It isn't very hard to change those at all. Just be careful when undoing the ball joint.

However, like Paul said... Pleasde be a little more specific as I would hate to miss a bad wheel bearing.
rhodyguy
replacing the bushings for the front control arms is NOT a simple task and is rather INVOLVED. i've done it, and put in the elephants. you take both arms off the car and have to literally burn the bushings to get them out/off. check eric shea's thread regarding this proceedure. figure out what you are going to replace them with before you start. you may need to plan on an alignment. unless you know the history of the other components you might consider doing them all at the same time. doing the front end piece meal is frustrating and time consuming.

k
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 11 2008, 09:50 AM) *

replacing the bushings for the front control arms is NOT a simple task and is rather INVOLVED. i've done it, and put in the elephants. you take both arms off the car and have to literally burn the bushings to get them out/off. check eric shea's thread regarding this proceedure. figure out what you are going to replace them with before you start. you may need to plan on an alignment. unless you know the history of the other components you might consider doing them all at the same time. doing the front end piece meal is frustrating and time consuming.

k

confused24.gif Didn't seem to hard when I did it. I have done a few different sets. Sure it's involved, but that doesn't mean it is difficult. I now have the elephant racing ones in the front. I would suggest those.
Bertus
Thanks everyone.
It is only making noise when the suspension is under stress (e.g. hitting a bump or pulling into or out of the driveway).

What other components are usually replaced on the front end?

Is an alignment necessary after replacing the bushings.

Thanks.
rhodyguy
where did i write it was "hard" and "diffcult"? "NOT a simple task" and "rather INVOLVED". there's no need for you to interpret my writings. no wonder you are confused.

k
TeenerTim
IPB Image
Bertus
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Jan 11 2008, 10:22 AM) *

IPB Image

I am a biologist by trade but I am not sure is that a rat or a squirrel with its tail rotted off? av-943.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 11 2008, 10:08 AM) *

where did i write it was "hard" and "diffcult"? "NOT a simple task" and "rather INVOLVED". there's no need for you to interpret my writings. no wonder you are confused.

k

You're right. I took "not a simple task" to mean difficult. Don't mind me biggrin.gif
John
QUOTE(Bertus @ Jan 11 2008, 10:28 AM) *

IPB Image

I am a biologist by trade but I am not sure is that a rat or a squirrel with its tail rotted off? av-943.gif

Isn't that what rats are?

BTW, it is time consuming, but not overly difficult to go through your front end bushings, but I have seen (or rather heard) squeaks come from the sway bar rubbing on the bottom of the gas tank.

Try to determine what it is exactly that is squeaking before ripping it all apart.

Good luck

Bertus
QUOTE(John @ Jan 11 2008, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Bertus @ Jan 11 2008, 10:28 AM) *

IPB Image

Isn't that what rats are?

BTW, it is time consuming, but not overly difficult to go through your front end bushings, but I have seen (or rather heard) squeaks come from the sway bar rubbing on the bottom of the gas tank.

Try to determine what it is exactly that is squeaking before ripping it all apart.

Good luck

Yeah your right on the squirrel/rat thing! Rats are a bushy tail away from being hand fed in the park!

Thanks for the advice I'll check the front tend out before I start ripping it apart.
914-8
PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send you a pdf article explaining a lot about the front bushings and how to replace them.

Or if there's a way to post here, I'll do that, but someone will have to tell me how.
Bertus
QUOTE(914-8 @ Jan 11 2008, 10:56 AM) *

PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send you a pdf article explaining a lot about the front bushings and how to replace them.

Or if there's a way to post here, I'll do that, but someone will have to tell me how.

pm sent,

Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.