Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch feels firm, then 'goes slack'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
purple
I have a question again for you guys...

My clutch will feel like a normal clutch for the first maybe 70% of it's downward travel. After that, there is a point after which it just loses all it's firmness and it gets really easy to push to the floor.

What does this mean? It still works and everything, but it feels like something is wrong.

I have recently zip-tied the clutch cable to the engine case to get it out of the way of the header so it doesnt melt.

It's a brand new Cofle cable and the clutch was doing this before I changed it.

I want to rotate the clutch pulley mount slightly to get the cable out of the way of the header, does anyone have pics of where they drilled the holes?

Thanks guys
TeenerTim
Have you checked your clutch tube?
purple
The clutch tube is solid. Firewall joint is solid. Thank god!
Cap'n Krusty
Pedal stop there? Adjusted correctly? The Cap'n
purple
I've got the rennline pedal board with the clutch stop in there. Adjusted correctly is a good question. I need my GF to push in the clutch while i'm under there to see what's going on. The engine isnt in a running condition just right now (when i get back from france i'm going straight to the garage!)

What does this point of slack returns mean? what's going on? If i get to this point did i adjust it too far? as in tighten up the cable too much.
John
In my opinion, you are describing the "break-over" point where it becomes easier to push the pedal down. Not necessarily slack, but easier.

I think a properly adjusted clutch pedal stop will stop the pedal just at the "break-over" point (at least that is what I do). Constantly pushing the clutch pedal down past the "break-over" point may weaken the pressure plate springs to some extent over time (but I'm not positive about that).

What I really think happens is that the mechanical advantage of the clutch pedal over the pressure plate springs becomes greater at a certain point in the pedal travel. If you reach that point, the clutch is already dis-engaged and pushing further is not required.
purple
I'm thinking you're right john. I was just talking to a buddy who's done old skool cars for a while and he was saying the same thing as you. I just needed some clarification that the TOB isnt munched or something like that. I drove it once with it like that and it just was a wierd way to drive, kinda disquieting.

I think they described something like this in the haynes manual but not in a way that was understandable to a computer programmer like me. they said something like going past the point will wear the TOB more, but figuring out what that meant was was the trick. And now i know

AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!
-G.I. Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.