Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission front main seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
Is there a specific depth the front main seal of the transmission be installed to?
Cap'n Krusty
Knock it in flush. The release bearing guide tube will push it in to the correct depth.

The Cap'n
toon1
so it should be flush with the top of the flange that the bearing guide mates to?

SOB! I think I drove it in too far!
davep
Why would you push it in past the face? I cannot think of any application where the seal is anything other than flush with the face.
toon1
There are TWO different faces you could refer to in this instance.

The first being the face where the bearing guide mated to, which, if you look, will leave about half of the seal out of the hole it is driven into.

The second is the face of the hole the seal gets driven into.
Dr Evil
Push it in so that it lies below the plain of the hub that the throw out bearing tube lies on. Dont rely on the tube to push it in as it can deform the seal a bit. If you pushed it in so it is flush with the second step, dont worry. You didnt need to, but it is fine.
toon1
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 11 2008, 11:26 AM) *

Push it in so that it lies below the plain of the hub that the throw out bearing tube lies on. Dont rely on the tube to push it in as it can deform the seal a bit. If you pushed it in so it is flush with the second step, dont worry. You didnt need to, but it is fine.

Thank's DR,

On my original refresh of this tranny, I drove the seal in to the depth of the bearing face and it leaked. On the main shaft, there is a smooth flat that I thought both sealing surfaces of the seal should ride on. That's the reason I drove it down to the second step.

It sounds like I can leave it there, so I will leave it.

Keith
davep
Keith, I think you should be okay. I normally go by what I see before I take things apart; IE whatever the factory did, I try to duplicate. When the unit is no longer a virgin, then things do become difficult.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.