Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Custom Reverse Lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I just finished another custom part for this 67 Squareback I'm building and I had to share.

The owner wanted the bumper mounted reverse lights removed and these 'functionless' reflectors (just like on a bike) turned into reverse lights.

Click to view attachment

I ordered two 3" diameter by 2" tall chunks of acrylic from McMaster-Carr.

Click to view attachment

The machine shop turned them into these great lenses based on the drawings I supplied them.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

This VERY VERY bright white LED pack fits inside perfectly.

Click to view attachment

Then I bead blasted the inside for an even texture and polished the outside so it will stay clean.

Click to view attachment

I'm really psyched about how well these turned out. I was fully expecting more complicated issues. boldblue.gif aktion035.gif
Allan
Do they work? poke.gif
McMark
Why would you want them to work? confused24.gif
effutuo101
As long as they look cool, who cares! drunk.gif Nice work.
So.Cal.914
Nice Job.
McMark
Yes, they work. wink.gif

The first picture I let the camera adjust to the bright light. The room is fully lit, but seems completely dark.

The second picture, I locked the focus, and then lit the LEDs.
Cap'n Krusty
The ultimate in "trick" is to be so trick it doesn't work. I thought everybody
knew that ................... The Cap'n
EdwardBlume
Nice work! I dig squarebacks! welder.gif
Borderline
Nice work Mark! I want to see the final install biggrin.gif I gotta get me a Mcmaster catalog
DanT
I like square backs and notch backs, but I really like '67 bugs like this.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 11 2008, 04:51 PM) *

I just finished another custom part for this 67 Squareback I'm building and I had to share.

smilie_pokal.gif

can't wait to see the new suspension and wheels! wub.gif

are you going to paint it too?
idea.gif Andy
McMark
What, these ol' things! happy11.gif
KaptKaos
More pix of that Sqaureback Mark!!
McMark
Okay, how about a completely custom dash with a fabricated radio mount, relocated ashtray and heater control, full car width dash extension (added 1.5" at the bottom), fabricated aux gauge pods on both sides of the steering column.
Click to view attachment

It's also got a slide away PS2 that hides under the dash.
Click to view attachment

Modified wiper mechanism. The original wiper location would foul the radio install. (this picture is before the lower dash extension)
Click to view attachment

Power windows which are operated by the stock winder. Push up on the winder to raise, push down to lower.
Click to view attachment

One of two amps mounted in the front trunk, added the center bump to clear the PS2, and added hood shocks.
Click to view attachment

This is about 40% of the modifications this car is getting. I still have to do, a hidden compressor to pump up bicycle wheels or flat tires, a custom wood roof rack that doubles as a bike rack, remote battery terminals for jump starting/charging, rear seat video monitor that hides in a custom center fold away arm rest, lots of fiberglass work for the stereo install, of course a 2056 Type IV, seat heaters, and more...
When it's all done, it will look VERY stock. Original looking, yet Custom. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 11 2008, 10:32 PM) *

seat heaters

slap.gif california wussies ...

biggrin.gif Andy
McMark
You know you want them....
rhodyguy
i see a future showcase article for HotVW magazine.

k
JPB
Sweet lights home chicken! I live on the wrong coast for cool shizzit. sad.gif
scotty b
You hiring ? rolleyes.gif
ConeDodger
Nice work Mark... pray.gif
boxstr
Mark If you can install the lenses that you had made from the back you could lose the screw holes, kind of clean them up a little more.
Anyway they are kewl.
Toby Erkson is a squre back enthusiast. They had a bunch of them, one with bags, at the Wednesday night hot rod cruzin this last summer.

Hey what is with the Ford/Mercury convertible in the background??
Craig C. Laughlin
rick 918-S
That pegs the cool meter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.