Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle Return Spring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BiG bOgGs
While cleaning up my engine, I lost the throttle return spring that came with the car. (1976 2.0L) I ordered a replacement spring from one of our friendly suppliers, and this is what I got.

Click to view attachment

The original (or at least it came with the car) spring had a short hook on each end. This spring has a loop on one end and a long straight piece on the other end. If it is the right spring, how do I attach it, and how should I make sure that I am setting the spring tension right? OR if it is not the right spring, what does the right one look like?

Right now I have a loop of wire and a broken half of a bungee cord tied to it acting as the return for the throttle. And while it works, I somehow feel it is rather un-Porshe like to keep it this way.
EdwardBlume
Right now I have a loop of wire and a broken half of a bungee cord tied to it acting as the return for the throttle. And while it works, I somehow feel it is rather un-Porshe like to keep it this way.

Its what McGuyver would do under the same circumstances.

Yeah, that one looks a little big...

Does anyone recognize it?
BiG bOgGs
Thanks for the McGuyver comparison. I often get that from people about my engineering workarounds. I think most people are just being kind with their description of my "fixes."

Below is a pic of my kids who were upset that they were not included in daddy's pic.

Click to view attachment

Now back to the regularly scheduled question. biggrin.gif

Jim
SLITS
That my friend is a standard universal throttle return spring that you used to be able to buy from any FLAPs. They used to come in various lengths and diameters. It will work and work well .... cut to length and with a pair of needle nose make your own hooked ends.

I have used them for years.
zonedoubt
I'll resurrect this old thread to ask my question...

Does anyone have a photo of where the second long spring attaches to. This is for 1.8L throttle body.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Oct 11 2008, 03:29 PM) *

Does anyone have a photo of where the second long spring attaches to. This is for 1.8L throttle body.

I have no idea why they use 2 springs. I tossed my second spring out. I thought the spring pressure was too strong. I like the pedal feel better now.
Gint
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Oct 11 2008, 02:29 PM) *

I don't have a picture. You can attach it to anything you want. It only has to work...
Dave_Darling
IIRC, the one in my old 1.8 was attached to a small hole in the rear vertical engine tin.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.