Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Rides" New TV program
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
For some this may be a new TV program, others not. It is called RIDES and it is on the Learning Channel 9:00pm West Coast, check your local listings for channel and time.
Its a kewl hot rod show, you could learn something.
CCLINHOTRODHEAVEN
boxstr
Mean't to include this.
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/rides/ri...tml?through=cnn
CCLINHOTRODHELL
Ferg
Thanks for the reminder, I knew I had something to do tonight.

Also, starting later this month (23rd?), there will be a show like orange county choppers, but with hot rods, in Boyd Codingtons Shop. Should be worth a look as well.
scotty
Just in time for the power to go out!
Mueller
So what is up with the "Avoid the Boyd" comment on your signiature??

I like my 20" Billet Boyd rims smile.gif

They are a PITA to keep clean, polished bare aluminum can be a lot of work to keep pretty...........
Joe Ricard
Got the TV room reserved. If it gots cars I gots to watch it. Speed channel sometmes has a new episode of Dream car garage, or something like that. we be in repeats now But I still watch. laugh.gif
boxstr
Billetproof is an event held in Calif of old and very basic hot rods. You can see them in the new Drive magazine at your FLAPS.
There are no billet rods at this event. One of the stickers there was"Avoid the Boyd". I am a HOP UP kind of rodder. I like to look at all rods billet or not, just won't build one.
CCLINBILLETPROOF
Gint
TIVO! That way if I miss any of it yackin with you mouse monkeys, I can still watch it later.
URY914
Boy, I hope they have a story about "drifting".

Maybe they can 'plain it to me to make me understand.

Because right now, I don't get it.

Paul
boxstr
URY you need to plug into the HI REV TUNERS, or one of the NOPI auto shows on SPIKE TV. They seem to cater to the driftin crowd.
Seems to be a big venue for the rice crowd.
CCLINDRIFTINGAWAY
Mueller
oh....I "get it" now smile.gif

I too like classic hot rods....too many show cars now.....

I'd want something like this '32 Ford:
boxstr
Excellent, I remember that exact magazine, I used to take them to school and read them in class. They would fit between the pages perfectly. Then they changed over to the large format.
32 Ford Deuce full fender or a roadster channeled over the frame and a 4' inch dropped front I beam axle. Kewl.
This is similar to one I was looking at to buy, seller would not budge on price.
CCLINHOTRODHEAVEN
URY914
I'm watching the show now. I won't give it away but you need to watch it. It is American Chopper and Monster Garage done right. But for cars and what a car. wub.gif
rick 918-S
Cool inside look at ford and the hi-tec facility. It was a slick shiny magizine.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 6 2004, 07:06 PM)

Paul

you dont know what drifting is, dog? hey holmes...show the esse some dope @$$ drifting.....

laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
Cool show except for the host. If you came from the TV series 90210 you might not be right for this bit. mueba.gif

However he doesn't get much speaking parts stfu.gif

Now that car has got to be super if it is going to live up to the mystique of the Cobra cars.

Guy across the street has a Superformance replica. Way more power than can be effectively used. But oh my is it cool. We cruised around last summer he in his red Cobra and me in the cool blue teener. Sniff "I miss my teener" sad.gif
GWN7
It's on again at 11 pm(EST).... Good thing TLC repeats it self. smile.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jan 6 2004, 07:06 PM)
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 6 2004, 07:06 PM)

Paul

you dont know what drifting is, dog? hey holmes...show the esse some dope @$$ drifting.....

laugh.gif

Man Carrol Shelby was great he even talked about drifting and did a little at the end of the show.
Not to bad for a 81 year old man with 2 heart transplants.
Gint
Next week is Troy Trepanier. Lookin forward to that. He builds some nice cars.
boxstr
Rad Rods by Troy, builder of the ebay Mustang, and the most ever BADASS twin turbo 62 Chevy" Chicane", this car is so clean you will drool.
CCLINRIDESVILLE
seanery
Joe,

Jason is a hayuge car guy. Even if you don't like him, you have to understand why he's doing it. What car guy would turn it down. I think he'll be fine. The first coupla shows in a series are a learning process for those making them. His verbage and delivery will get better.
URY914
Seanery loves Jason wub.gif
seanery
heeth my thweetie! wub.gif

No, I've just seen him racing quite a bit, from club sports to pro level in Canada. I can't remember the series. He was in a huge accident, too.
boxstr
Jason is a gearhead,he is the driver who crashed his formula ford ?? and almost died.
CCLIN90210
GWN7
Didn't he smack himself up badly (& the car) last year at some track?

What boxstr said......
URY914
He use to drive Mustangs but I don't know what he was driving when he got hurt. IRL car maybe???
seanery
I don't think it was a FF, maybe a Barber Dodge?
GWN7
SPARTA, Ky. (AP) -- Actor Jason Priestley's race car crashed head-on into a wall at nearly 180 mph Sunday at the Kentucky Speedway, breaking his back and leaving him in serious condition with a concussion and other injuries.

Priestley, 32, crashed coming out of the second turn in the final practice for the Kentucky 100, an Infiniti Pro Series race.

He got sideways,and he corrected and then shot off the track," said former Indy 500 winner Arie Luyendyk, whose son, Arie Jr., competes with Priestley in the Infiniti Pro Series, an IRL developmental series.

"He turned right into the wall, and his first impact was basically head-on," Luyendyk said. "I saw it from the top of the roof. What I'm thinking is that's really the one big hit that he took that might have hurt him."

Luyendyk said Priestley appeared to have driven through "oil-dry," an absorbent material that had been spread on part of the track about 10 minutes earlier to soak up oil from another car.

Aug 11, 2002
boxstr
That was a great show, nice to see how a concept car comes together. What is the general concenseus, like/dislike the Daisy.
Curious on cost if it came to fruition.
CCLINBLUEOVALRANCH
Hawktel
I like the car. I think though its very slabsided, and has no real lines. I'll admit I like its look better than the Carrara GT's.

I like the engine. Its a work of art. They could have spent some time going over the suspension though.

The show's Tribute to Shelby was it. If they had spent more time on the engineering, and how they hoped to not let down Shelby, it would have been a better show.
Rgreen914
With all that electronic/computer "power", not to mention all those engineers, they had a hard time firing the thing up once it was all assembled. Do overhead cams go flat as easy as overhead valve cams do, if you keep cranking them without it starting?
GWN7
I fell asleep 1/2 way thru.... laugh.gif what I saw looked interesting
914MF
You would think that a high powered design team could have done a better job with the headlights. barf.gif
cnavarro
Troy and the ebay mustang. There was a feature in our small town (3000 ppl) newspaper on it since he's here locally. It has been brought to my attention that he has done porsche restorations in the past. Might be an outlet for us Midwesters, if there is the need for a local resto shop.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
marc_hines
I really enjoyed watching the cobra come together. Make me want to build a car from scratch.

Junkyard wars followed it - with the challenge to build race cars from junk (sorta like, well, never mind). One team build a mid engie vehicle and that won the day. Just like - well, you know.
911/914gary
Disappointing first episode. Not up to snuff to other TLC programming. The show started about hyping how concept cars are the design vehicle to introduce cutting edge of technology into the auto industry. But not a word about the new V-10 engine, the alm billet cut chassis or any other engineering design breakthroughs that were incorporated into the new Shelby Cobra concept car. Or what about going from drawing board to clay mach-up to hardware. They didn’t even discuss any performance specs after the car was test driven. This show was merely a media essay or “eye candy” for non-auto enthusiast viewers. Hope it gets better.

BTW, Jason Priestly totaled his new Porsche a few years ago up on Mullholland drive. I think he was cited for DUI.
Scott S
I am not sure I should admit to this or not.......

I caught the rally bug my senior year of college. My buddy and I went halves on a fully prepared, but pretty outdated 85 CRX si that had one of the very first integra motor swaps. It was done by Ray Hocker (sp?). He sold the car to Jason and we picked it up from him for $3500.00 It was a blast to drive (other than the ribbing we took for the mettalic silver paint job and the "Pepe Jeans" decals that were all over the thing). Sold it to a guy in Boulder 7-8 years ago. It was pretty clapped out when we got it. There was no way it would have passed any tech inspection (not even an autocross) by the time my buddy sold it.

Back to the point - we flew into LA, met Jason at the airport and he took us over to a warehouse to get the car. We all grabbed lunch and the two of us started the drive home around 3pm after having him autograph the underside of the roof. He was a really good guy - very down to earth. You never would have known he was "some body".
Joe Ricard
So I guess if I can get the image of Jason NOT in 90210 He would be a car guy? Show me the dirty T-shirt with grease on the back on his elbow (ya know the spot you can't see when cleaning up for dinner?).
BTW Wrecking cars don't make you a car guy. Fixing them after you wreck them rolleyes.gif

Oh hell it was a good show I agree it should have had more tech stuff. Cutting the bolt shorter got more air time than the suspension brakes transmission. Guess I will have to buy one and take it apart to see how they did that.

Oh yea I want that Mustang test mule with the V-10!!!!!!!!!!!!
Randal
Any bets on which car would lap quicker at (say) Thunderhill between the new Carrera GT and the "New" Cobra.

I know where I'll be putting my money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.