Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much for a good used windshield?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve Thacker
Hey all I'm looking at purchasing a windshield that is in good used shape. How much do they usually go for and what is the best way to ship...greyhound?

Thanks!!!!!
redshift
I don't know about shipping a windshield on a bus. I have seen people buying NEW glass for between 160-250.

M
Bleyseng
I would buy a new windshield locally and install it. Trying to find a good used oem unit that isn't all scratched is tough. Then shipping it...hmmm that will be even harder.
Maybe AA has a few laying around......

Geoff
boxstr
I sold one that came out of a parts car. Looked perfect. Buyer came over, out it in his car and drove to the glass installer. Took it out of the car and it cracked.
Call a local glass shop and get a new one. You will be money ahead.
Also, if you are installing the factory chrome trim, you MUST rplace the 19 plastic clips that go around the windshield frame. Do not try to use the old ones. You end up with a loose and fly off chrome strip.
PP sells them.
CCLINAUTOGLASSHEAVEN
GaroldShaffer
Oh, I would say about $5,000 wink.gif
scottb
i looked for a used windshield and was found a couple for around $400. i then found a shop in town that will install a new one for $285. a quick cost/benefit analysis and i went new and local....
Pnambic
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Jan 6 2004, 04:57 PM)
Oh, I would say about $5,000  wink.gif

laugh.gif
That guesstimate wouldn't have anything to do with that windshield with the rear view mirror on it you have for sale, would it?
GaroldShaffer
Now what would give you that idea idea.gif
Seriously I have two windshields (from the 71 & 74 LE) that are in great shape, heck the cars sat in one spot
for 20yrs, the one from the 71 was replaced just before
was "stored" laugh.gif
A friends friend runs a glass shop and he removed them
for me, only thing I need to do is clean the sealer stuff off
them. So what is a fair price? I want to help Steve out,
plus make a little $$ for my 914 fund.

- Garold
VegasRacer
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 6 2004, 01:53 PM)
Call a local glass shop and get a new one.

agree.gif

I got a new one installed for $250 last year. Didn't even have to move the car.
They came to my house and did it in my driveway. smash.gif
GWN7
I bought a used one at the Ohio meet last year...$100....I was quoted $550 for a new one here

As to shipping...not sure...but Greyhound will take a front hood so a windshield properly packed shouldn't be a problem.
RON S.
Bought mine for my 6 from a local glass shop,about $170.00
Put it in myself.
Fit wasn't perfect,but it is sealed and looks good.
Ron
rick 918-S
I purchased a windsheild from Moss Motors for the MGA. They used a box about 6" wider on both sides of the glass and filled a couple of plastic bags with expanding foam. No way this this could have been damaged in shipping. I think you can buy that foam in powder form from the boat supply places. Great for shipping.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.