Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '70 914 1.7 won't start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markwemple
Bought the '70 from a guy in Towson that runs a Muffler shop. He could start it with starter fluid but it didn't have enough fuel pressure to run. It needed tires and heat exchangers as well. So now it has the exhaust fixed, wheels and tires and fuel pump.

There is spark at the cyl., fuel at the cyl. and good compression but still won't start except on fluid. It is stock in configuration.

I can't say much more 'cause it is being repaired by the tech up there but he isn't familiar with early Bosch systems.

Any ideas?
markwemple
FWIW he has tried partial and full pedal pressure w/o luck. Also the started is turning fine.
tagtmeyer914
are you running with carbs or the stock fi?
tagtmeyer914
i might be some help but im mostly familier with 1.8 l jet and mine is an ecu away from running.
markwemple
Stock FI from 1970 w/oil bath no less.
VaccaRabite
Do you have known good fuel pressure?
is the fuel filter clogged?
Is the gas in the tank older then 1 year old?

Zach
markwemple
Mech told me that gas is new but I'm not sure if he is positive about fuel filter.
markwemple
More info, it does fire but doesn't catch.
benalishhero
cold start prob?
markwemple
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Jan 12 2008, 01:31 PM) *

cold start prob?

He tried to start it with the throttle wide open which should elimiate a cold start problem.
BMXerror
Four things that an engine needs to run:
1.Air
2.Fuel
3.Spark
4.Timing
Sounds to me like you have covered all those except timing. Make sure your mechanic has base timed it between 0-5 degrees (there should be a mark on the fan for both). If the timing is correct (or close enough), and you know you have fuel and it still doesn't start, then I would suspect not enough or too much fuel. They will both give you those symptoms. Tell, him to check for proper fuel pressure (30 psi). Also, check the Cylinder Head Temp Sensor for proper outputs (procedure on this website: http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm). Finally, look for vacuum leaks between the manifold and the MPS, and the manifold and the intake runners. A can of WD40 works well for this.
In fact, before he does any of that, have him get a wiring diagram and make sure he has the thing hooked up correctly, since it sounds to me like he's not too familiar with the D-jet. I only suggest this because when I was a little more green I made the mistake of switching two wire connections that were right next to each other, one of which was the CHT wire. It didn't light on fire, but it didn't start either.
My biggest recommendation would be to bring it home and get it running yourself. You'll save a bunch of money and will feel much better when she starts up. Plus, it'll make it much easier for us to help you directly. Your choice, but that's just my $.02 Hope that helps. Get back to me if you need more advice.
Mark D.
:Edit: Cold start doesn't come on 'till something like 22 degrees and below. Not sure of the exact numbers, but it's damn cold. That shouldn't be a factor here, unless it's stuck ON.
cooltimes
QUOTE(markwemple @ Jan 12 2008, 07:50 PM) *

cold start prob?

He tried to start it with the throttle wide open which should elimiate a cold start problem.

You did say it starts when mech used starter fluid. Is that correct?
All mentioned by you indicates no fuel reaching the throttle body. Without using starter fluid, is there a strong smell of fuel? Is it flooding or just no fuel reaching the throttle body?
That is the type of info needed to help with your problem. Be descriptive, not too brief and maybe some of us can do more than answer by guessing.

Mike Cooley
TN
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(markwemple @ Jan 12 2008, 05:50 PM) *

cold start prob?

That statement displays a serious lack of understanding of how D-jet fuel injection works. Throttle position has NOTHING to do with cold start problems. NOTHING. It's obviously not getting fuel. Does the pump run for 1.5 seconds after the key is turned to the "on" position? With the key on, can you move the throttle plate to full open and hear a series of clicks as you do so? For more details, go to:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/

Read it, study it, learn it. Do what it says, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.