Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with engine ID
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LetoAtreides
Ok, so i just bought a used engine for my 914 to replace my blown-up old one which was a '75 1.8. The guy I bought the new engine from told me that the engine I was purchasing was a '75 1.8 as well, but I'm not so sure. I know it runs, but now I need to know what kind of engine it is! It is most definitely a VW type 4. As far as I can tell, there are two numbers stamped on the engine. One is directly on top of the crank case and reads W0033863. The other is near the impeller and reads CB092959. What kind of engine is this?!
blink.gif
904svo
W case is a 1.7 ltr from 1970-71 source is

http://type2.com/bartnik/enginecodes.htm

Hope this helps.
SirAndy
914 Info tab in the top navigation ...

http://www.914world.com/specs/engnumbs.php

'70 - '72 1.7L
bye1.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
davep
The WO engine is an early VW411 or 914 engine up to 1972. 1700 CC
The CB engine is also a 1700 from the Type 2 (Van).
How an engine would wind up with two codes is very strange. Is the CB code on one of the engine halves, and the WO on the other? If so then the engine case halves are not original mates.
The other thing is, the engine is now very old and may have been rebuilt at some point, but without a teardown you might not know what it is you have.
LetoAtreides
Awesome, that clears up some of the questions. As for the fact that it has two numbers, well that's still a mystery. The CB number is on the impeller housing, forward of the oil filler and above the right cooling duct. Maybe it was a type 2 originally and then was rebuilt with a 914 case?
davep
Can you post a photo of the CB #? If it is on the fan housing and not the engine case itself (just in front of the oil filler tower), then that is a good situation.
Bleyseng
if the CB number is on the fan housing then the fan is from a bus as they stamped the numbers there.
davep
So the WO engine may have been modified (say with a different oil filler) as well as getting the van fan shroud for use in a van. It is sort of strange to put engine serial numbers on the fan shroud since that is not an integral part of the engine.
Bleyseng
Bus engines are almost exactly the same except for the tin and the front oil filler boss is open which also has the dipstick tube init. Early carb'd buses had the mech fuel pump too.
Why the engine codes are on some of the Bus fan shrouds is a mystery to me but they are! The fan shrouds are pretty much the same except some have the airpump stuff on the early and really late ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.