Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mdwman
I have noticed that my speedometer works til I get up to about 73mph then goes no higher. I know I am accelerating when I increase throttle because rpms are increasing and I'm passing but the needle remains at 73. As speed is reduced the needle comes down as expected. Any ideas where I need to start looking for the problem; gauge or cable or angle drive at the tranny? This is a '73 1.7L with the 150mph silver dot gauge.

Also, I plan to fix my nonworking odometer. I have read the Pelican article but must be developing ADD and dyslexia because the article does not seem straight forward to me. In one part it says to remove the gauge face and a paragraph later it says not to. Do the speedometer and odometer come out of the housing seperately? I am able to loosen the gauge and pull it out of the dash but not enough to really look at connections on the back of the instrument. Guess I will need to pull out the tach to get behind it. Besides the cable, what all needs to be disconnected back there? What about the odometer reset knob and cable? No mention of that in the Pelican article.

Thanks for any tips and/or pics.
Steve
I hate to be vague but there is pretty much only two things it can be. The cable or the speedomoter. I would start with another speedometer. If you don't have a spare I can bet there is plenty of people on this forum with an extra one. Next would be the cable is probably binding. If it was the angle drive on the trans it typically wouldn't work at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.