Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Helicoil Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
The nights here can get chilly... not as cold as Iowa or Kansas, but still can be cold. So, I bought an old bullet heater for 50 dollars. It's an older unit (probably built before 1980), but overall seems in good shape. It heats well, but has a bit of a stutter.

I pulled the ignitor plug to check and see if it was fouled. The threads on the plug and the plug hole were stripped - the plug with gnarly threads was just kind of stuffed in there. The company was bought out ~1975, but someone kept producing the thing and most of the parts are still available.

I figure I can helicoil it, but then I discovered something else... it appears that the plug is locked in place with some kind of set-screw.

So... any ideas on how to repair this?
Twystd1
Take out the set screw?

C
Rusty
Wulll... I'll have to take it out to do the repair. smile.gif

But you mean permanently? Am I being dense here?
cooltimes
QUOTE(Rusty @ Jan 14 2008, 01:28 AM) *

Wulll... I'll have to take it out to do the repair. smile.gif

But you mean permanently? Am I being dense here?

You might find some info at this link:
http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthr...t/Number/343239

I think it a chat page or maybe a SIG and they are chatting about stoves including bullet heaters.
What is the brand name on it.

Cooley
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Rusty @ Jan 13 2008, 11:10 PM) *

The nights here can get chilly... not as cold as Iowa or Kansas, but still can be cold. So, I bought an old bullet heater for 50 dollars. It's an older unit (probably built before 1980), but overall seems in good shape. It heats well, but has a bit of a stutter.

I pulled the ignitor plug to check and see if it was fouled. The threads on the plug and the plug hole were stripped - the plug with gnarly threads was just kind of stuffed in there. The company was bought out ~1975, but someone kept producing the thing and most of the parts are still available.

I figure I can helicoil it, but then I discovered something else... it appears that the plug is locked in place with some kind of set-screw.

So... any ideas on how to repair this?

Rusty,
If you mean by "old bullet heater" you are refering to a "torpedo kerosene heater", by all means be careful. If it's that old, be doubly careful. Many years ago I worked in and around those and you gotta make sure you have a sufficient amount of fresh air available, or the fumes will give you a headache, ....or worse.
You can just about count on someone here in Cincinnati coming to grief every winter on account of those old heaters. BE CAREFUL!

Paul
Katmanken
Whatever insert is usable for a sparkplug should work.

The torpedo operates at much less pressure than a piston engine so most anything should work...

Maybe you can use the plug insert that the dealer put into my bug head...

Inner thread for the sparkplug, outer thread for the hole and a flange around the outside that you can stake a dimple in to keep it from turning....

Or Use the setscrew to lock it.....

Ken
sww914
OK' I'll do it.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(kwales @ Jan 14 2008, 09:29 PM) *

Whatever insert is usable for a sparkplug should work.

The torpedo operates at much less pressure than a piston engine so most anything should work...

Maybe you can use the plug insert that the dealer put into my bug head...

Inner thread for the sparkplug, outer thread for the hole and a flange around the outside that you can stake a dimple in to keep it from turning....

Or Use the setscrew to lock it.....

Ken

thanks, everyone for the input!

Ken - that's exactly the info I was looking for, combined with Clayton's idea to just ditch the setscrew.

The unit is a Centurion 160ES (I think... the model number is very faded). It was built by Century Engineering Corp in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The style and setup is very similar to the older Toro heaters, but is 150,000 BTU per hour.

With that kind of heat, I should be able to really heat up the garage, and then ventilate and still have enough ambient/radiant heat from surfaces to be comfortable.
Gint
QUOTE(Rusty @ Jan 15 2008, 01:29 AM) *
The unit is a Centurion 160ES (I think... the model number is very faded). It was built by Century Engineering Corp in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The style and setup is very similar to the older Toro heaters, but is 150,000 BTU per hour.

With that kind of heat, I should be able to really heat up the garage, and then ventilate and still have enough ambient/radiant heat from surfaces to be comfortable.
Sounds like the kind of unit you needed in Kansas.

Rusty
Hell yeah.

Did you know that lady complained to my landlord after that weekend? They shut the power off to the garage because I wasn't supposed to be doing any maintenance in there. laugh.gif
Gint
Figures... the world is full of 'em.
Rusty
Yep.

She said were were rowdy and loud and disrespectful to her and her kids. I was stunned. I think the landlord knew better, but felt like he had to do something.

I'm glad I moved.
Gint
I don't even remember talking to them. Let alone being disrespectful. Whatever... mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.