Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix issues resolved at 4:30AM....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
LOL

I've been trying to get Bebe started now for 2 days and no resolution yet.

Got fuel, spark, compression, what was I missing? Timing, check.

She would catch a little, sputter, then die. Over and over.

Then I remembered someone saying something about voltages that are supposed to feed a Pertronix unit.
When I put the engine back in I wired it to the resistor side of power wire off the coil wire. I measured 6V after the resistor, 12.5 before it.

Now I just got off a VW website that says to use straight 12V to power the unit. headbang.gif

Silly me..... I almost began habitual hair pulling. blink.gif

Later today will tell if this is the issue...

computers4kids
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jan 14 2008, 05:00 AM) *

LOL

I've been trying to get Bebe started now for 2 days and no resolution yet.

Got fuel, spark, compression, what was I missing? Timing, check.

She would catch a little, sputter, then die. Over and over.

Then I remembered someone saying something about voltages that are supposed to feed a Pertronix unit.
When I put the engine back in I wired it to the resistor side of power wire off the coil wire. I measured 6V after the resistor, 12.5 before it.

Now I just got off a VW website that says to use straight 12V to power the unit. headbang.gif

Silly me..... I almost began habitual hair pulling. blink.gif

Later today will tell if this is the issue...

4:30 in the AM brainstorming...I can relate. It's wierd how the mind keeps working on an issue, even though you believe you have let it go...like when you are sleeping.
Good Luck!
Cap'n Krusty
The correct coil (The OE black Bosch coil, as well as the blue one)has an internal resistor, and doesn't use an external unit. The Cap'n
pete914
So cap'n what you are saying is that the blue coil will work without that little resistor thingamagiggy' on the side of the distributor?
I need to get my pertronix installed. Just waiting on warm weather...
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(pete914 @ Jan 14 2008, 09:45 AM) *

If it's not pouring down rain, and I've got a coat, then Bebe is getting worked on. biggrin.gif
Pertronix is so easy to install it's ridiculous.
Come on, we'll help you get her in. piratenanner.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Well looks like that wasn't the problem..... blink.gif

I put straight 12V to both the coil and the pertronix and it still sputtered.

Then I checked the rotor and cap and they are brand new.
but i never checked and verified that the rotor was coming in very near proximity with the cap electrodes.
After checking I found that the new rotor was a hair shorter than the original therefore the gap between rotor and cap electrodes was excessive... headbang.gif

Soooooo, a little "modifying" and she fired right up!!!!! cheer.gif

I love it when car stories have a happy ending. wub.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(pete914 @ Jan 14 2008, 09:45 AM) *

So cap'n what you are saying is that the blue coil will work without that little resistor thingamagiggy' on the side of the distributor?

That's NOT a resistor, it's the condenser, and it's removed ONLY when using a non-points ignition setup. Best keep it in the glovebox, along with a set of points, for WHEN your Pertronix fails. The Cap'n
Dr. Roger
so true....... =)

Always listen to The Capn'.
jimtab
Gee, my pertronix failed after 6 years at the RRC...about 20 miles in the hills East of Moab....all I needed was to sit in the drivers seat and twist the key...what a group of guys...3 dizzys..one with pertronix, a couple of timing lights and a gaggle of mechanics...I felt like royalty...ok rock star, in a boy band...

Click to view attachment

......a really great "pit crew".....
euro911
I thought that was a KANSAS album cover laugh.gif
BiG bOgGs
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 15 2008, 12:28 AM) *

I thought that was a KANSAS album cover laugh.gif

Or the definition of not being in Kansas any more. confused24.gif biggrin.gif
euro911
The pose, not the actual characters or the background biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.