Full Version: new user ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfigarelle
im looking into 2 914s for $250
one body is STRAIGHT it is however krylon'd
comes with one engine (thats sposed to run) and 3 transmissions
im hoping to make myself a competive autoX car
im however low on money
im thinking a thousand bucks into the suspension and a few hundred to get it running better..that would be nice
the folks at rennlist directed me your way for advice
im questioning what i should do....street car, track car, or sell the parts
i know its a broad ? but any help would be appreciated
thanks guys
and hello to all wavey.gif
vortrex
are you familiar with the standard 914 chassis rust areas?
seanery
hmmm...those links didn't work for me.

welcome to the Club!!
kfigarelle
battery box, around the targa roll bar, wheel wells, around the doors...ect ect ect, its huge

far as we can tell the one body is clean of rust except the battery box...
vortrex
hah...the ol' battery box. better keep on searching around that area and make sure it is not too far gone. I wouldn't want an auto-x car with a rusty suspension console.
boxstr
If you buy a car that is already a racer or auto x car then it will have already been sorted out and you only have to jump in and go race.
Forget the rust buckets unless they are factroy sixes.
CCLIN$.50ONTHEDOLLAR
kfigarelle
hi
yesterday i had to go to work, hence the lack of replies
so, you guys really think i couldnt even sell all the parts for more then $250
one straight body, 3 transmissions, 1 engine, 1 near perfect interior, 1 kinda crappy interior, 8 wheels, glass, lights, trim, ect ect

the restore plan would be to strip it and paint it a simple color like white...put everything back together with the best parts from the 2 cars
we could do the paint job for near nothing, still go about a thousand dollars into konis and heavy springs and Tbars. few hundred into the engine and a few weatherstripping pieces. resell value? i dunno driving.gif
boxstr
You could probably sell the parts for more. You might want to check ebay to see what kind of competition you have there, also the classifeds on the other 914 websites to get a gauge there. Then do you have the desire to sell them take pics, answer the mails, get them packeged and shipped. I f you have nothing better to do or spend your money on then assemble the car and be happy with the end result. Let use now how it goe's.
CCLINSNOWDAY
Bleyseng
If you have lots of free time you can probably make one good car. Check the hellhole under the battery tray for rust. If its too far gone forget it! Trannys are hard to sell, interiors sell, motors don't for much, and the rest of the parts sit around as you try to sell them.

If the one body is sound paint it and make one good car.
Koni Yellows
Front Tbars
Front Sway bar
Rear springs
tires
Swap/sell the other stuff to pay for the good racing parts.

Geoff
vortrex
you can definitely sell the parts between 2 cars and make much more than $250. but if you take all the good parts and put them on your car and try to sell the rest, it might not be worth it. unless you really want to spend a lot of time "building" a car out of two, and then prepping it for auto-x, just buy a more solid one that is 1/2 way or all the way there.
kfigarelle
thanx for the help guys
i think i can hardly pass it up so ill most likely buy and see what happens
Gint
Hey, at $250, it's a good parts car even if you buy another car that's "halfway there". Provided of course you have a place to store/dismantle it.
brant
kfigarelle,

welcome to the club.
try not to be disheartened by the cynicism around here.
You can definitely make money by parting out the 2 cars... but its a lot of work and doesn't end up paying you that well for your time.

People (I think) are hesitant to encourage you to try and build a race car out of the 2 because we've all seen the negative side of those projects... I know my first 914 was cheap, and "rebuildable".... I was too naive at the time to know how bad the rust was... I ended up cutting that car into quarters (by a hand cutting tool and hammer.. before I even knew what a sawzall was) and selling it, to buy another 914 once I did become educated as to how bad it was and how much it was actually going to take to fix the rust...

We all have dreams of finding the barn car or the rust free car, but 99.9% of us have never seen the elusive object... I guess what I'm trying to say is that your 250$ cars sound a little too good to be true, and these suckers really do rust in a pervasive way....

how about you get one of the local 914 guru's in your area to look at the subjects with you?....
how about it club, is anybody local to this guy?

I love 914's and I think its safe to say that you will likely become addicted...

Its great to see you on this board and see another future convert......

HOPE this note doesn't come accross as too negative.
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.