Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust stud nuts....13mm or 12mm flat to flat??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
What size originally came on the 914/4's??

Are the 12mm nuts (flat to flat) an "upgrade" to make assembly easier?
porsche735
The copper ones are 12mm with a crimp in them. The "standard" ones are 13mm but we have had many problems with the standard ones...

Chris
Porsche Rescue
The studs are M8 (8 mm). My memory says nuts take a 12mm wrench.
Porsche Rescue
Should have added that the nuts are self-locking. they are sort of copper colored.
Mueller
I've had problems with both sizes...the threads have broken internally in the nut, which in turn caused the stud(s) to break

When I installed my exhaust over the weekend, I used regular one piece stainless nuts, I've had too many issues with the two piece exhaust nuts.
Dave_Darling
The originals were copper-coated nuts with a built-in flange that acted sort of like a washer. They were self-locking by having a slice cut into one side, I believe. They took a 13mm wrench. They are also f*cking expensive, around $5 each.

The common replacements are from something like an Audi 5K. They are also copper-coated and also have a built-in flange. They are self-locking by having been "squeezed" during manufacturing. They are about 3/4 the height of the originals. They take a 12mm wrench, which is in itself a Good Thing. It's easier to get a 12mm socket up to where the exhaust nuts live than a 13mm one! They are also a lot cheaper, at about $1 each--maybe less?

--DD
rhodyguy
just got off the phone checking avail locally. the guy from small car performance in tacoma said "you want the 8x15mm?"!!!! so i need a part number for the 12's. a 15mm nut, it would never go on.

kevin
DNHunt
Kevin

I just got exhaust nuts and gaskets at Small Car Performance Saturday. They have 3 choices. 1. The copper colored split 12mm. 2. A stainless crimped 13mm. 3. A very deep 11mm (off type ones I believe). I went with 1. However, if you over torque them they are almost impossible to undo. Can be helpful if you are removing studs. Unfortunately sometimes it also removes threads too, or breaks studs. I finally had to cut the last few off. That's a real joy. Slit them and then used a 1/4 " wood working chisel to open up the slit. I now have 4 new big ass 9X8mm studs. Not a fun day.

I'm waiting until tomorrow to see if I still have the exhaust leak. Don't go past 18 ftlbs

Dave
rhodyguy
dave, i swear, i got off the phone with small car 15 minutes before i posted. the "guy" said the nuts i wanted were 8x15. i knew that was wrong and told him. "well, that's what the exploded parts diagram shows". no gaskets in stock at this time either, i guess you got the last ones. prb the same guy that ordered the isloator blocks for a 914 2.0 sometime ago. i told him "for three stud heads" he ordered 2.0's alright, FOR A BUS. you still got the reciept? i want #1.

kevin
RustyWa
Aren't the new 12mm ones from 924's or something like that?
RustyWa
adsdd
steve@ottosvenice.com
I use the 911 Barrel nuts, You may need to use washers as some studs are to long.
ChrisReale
I use the copper ones RustyWa posted a pic of. $5 for a bag of 20 or so from
www.paragon-products.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.