Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: looking for a model/minature generator ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
i'm looking for a high quality model/minature generator about 1" x 2" in size.
it needs to be able to put out ~5V (or better) ...

anybody got any ideas on where to look ???
idea.gif Andy
SirAndy
well? confused24.gif
Jeffs9146
Generators

PDF

Is this what you are looking for?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 15 2008, 11:19 AM) *

Generators

PDF

hmmm, maybe ... idea.gif

i guess i should have used the correct amurican term.
i just realzied that you guys call them "Alternators" ...
biggrin.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 15 2008, 11:19 AM) *

Generators

PDF

i looked through the PDF and that thing is waaaay too much overkill for what i need.

my target is somewhere around ~5V and maybe 2-3 Amps ...

this thing puts out way too much and i would need a humongous voltage regulator board to go with it to get to my target range.
way too much heat generated by the VR as well.

i need something smaller and/or with less output ...
idea.gif Andy
Jeffs9146

How about something like this?

Genesys

Amps don't affect components like volts and watts. You only use the amps that you need and it gives you the capability to expand your loads in the future. Volts can be regulated with a resister.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 15 2008, 12:01 PM) *

Amps don't affect components like volts and watts. You only use the amps that you need and it gives you the capability to expand your loads in the future. Volts can be regulated with a resister.

i know, but if the initial low-rpm output is too large, regulating it down will create a lot of heat, which is not desirable for my application ...

something with lower initial output would work much better for me ...
smile.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 15 2008, 12:01 PM) *

How about something like this?

Genesys

much better! smilie_pokal.gif

hmmm ... reading the PDF right now ...
type.gif Andy
davep
What is the intended use?
Is it used in a car?
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 15 2008, 01:14 PM) *

What is the intended use?
Is it used in a car?

nope, not car related. i need something for a small model that needs a constant power supply without the dead weight of batteries ...
bye1.gif Andy
904svo
Try a RC electric model motor the 05 comes to mind, although its a motor
it also can be used for a generator.

davep
Andy, you are still cryptic.
What is the power source that you will be using?
You must be getting the energy from somewhere. Like a motor of some sort? Or a high temperature heat source? Or solar panel. Does it have to be light weight, portable?
Then you want to convert it to 5 volts DC? at 2 to 3 amps, so about 15 watts?
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 15 2008, 06:23 PM) *

You must be getting the energy from somewhere. Like a motor of some sort? Or a high temperature heat source? Or solar panel. Does it have to be light weight, portable?

I believe that any DC motor, when driven, will create voltage.

How much, I know not.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 15 2008, 06:23 PM) *

i'm cryptic because i can't talk about details of the project (unless i want to pay a hefty fine or spent time in jail) ...

yes, it will be driven by a motor of sorts. yes, i needs to be small. yes, it needs to be lightweight. yes, heat is bad.

output needed is ~5V and 2-3 amps. anything above that will result in additional heat when regulated down, which is not desirable ...

why does it matter what drives the alternator ??? confused24.gif

give me something small that is known to work well, please!
i'll buy you a beer or two if this pans out ...
beerchug.gif Andy
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 14 2008, 10:02 PM) *

i'm looking for a high quality model/minature generator about 1" x 2" in size.
it needs to be able to put out ~5V (or better) ...

anybody got any ideas on where to look ???
idea.gif Andy

OK I'll bite....

at how many RPM's?
and how much torque is available?

My best friend is a robotics freak/electronics guru.... maybe he knows.
McMark
Well, if you're not interested in the drive source, then use an electric motor. Spin the motor shaft, viola, power on the wires.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Lego-Generator/?comments=all

Go to RadioShack or any other electronics store (Frys?) and pick up a small motor.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 16 2008, 01:40 AM) *

Well, if you're not interested in the drive source, then use an electric motor. Spin the motor shaft, viola, power on the wires.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Lego-Generator/?comments=all

Go to RadioShack or any other electronics store (Frys?) and pick up a small motor.

Exactly.....

or just bring a volt meter and start test spinning different DC motors with the volt meter attached. Prolly bring a friend to make things easier... LOL
So.Cal.914
Hi Andy, try these people http://www.sullivanproducts.com/ They make a set up

to charge batteries in flight. smile.gif

"i just realzied that you guys call them "Alternators" ..."

Only if they put out 'AC', Gen's 'DC'
Spoke
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 16 2008, 03:40 AM) *

output needed is ~5V and 2-3 amps. anything above that will result in additional heat when regulated down, which is not desirable ...

If you do end up with a higher generated voltage than what you need, a step-down or buck switching regulator is the ticket. Efficiencies approaching 95% are possible to minimize power loss and heat buildup. Depending on whether you need a regulated voltage, it is common to generate a voltage higher than needed, then step it down with a high efficiency switcher.

If you have your cell phone or iPod with you then you have probably 4 to 8 switching regulators with you. Every cell phone, PDA, Blackberry, iPod, MP3 player, camera has switching regulators to maximize battery life. Li-Ion batteries generate 4.2V and this must be stepped down to 3.3V, 2.5V, 2.0V, 1.2V, or even 0.8V for low voltage low power logic.

Maxim, Linear Tech, TI, Monolithic Power to name a few offer step down switchers in the 1-2 amp range in very small packages.

The power burning regulators you mention are linear regulators and do burn considerable power. Their efficiency is approximately Vout/Vin. For the example above, Vout = 2V, Vin = 4.2V, therefore efficiency for this would be less than 50%. Not good if you want to conserve battery life and minimize heat buildup.
davep
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 16 2008, 12:40 AM) *

There are many ways to generate electricity, and an alternator is just one.
Thermoelectric is one that I am working on.
The S660 as mentioned might be a good method, but at $100 for 4 watts capacity it is not exactly cheap. If you need 16 watts, that is $400 (maybe less) plus lots of fabrication. They don't say what the maximum capacity of the controller is.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 16 2008, 01:56 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 16 2008, 12:40 AM) *

There are many ways to generate electricity, and an alternator is just one.
Thermoelectric is one that I am working on.
The S660 as mentioned might be a good method, but at $100 for 4 watts capacity it is not exactly cheap. If you need 16 watts, that is $400 (maybe less) plus lots of fabrication. They don't say what the maximum capacity of the controller is.

i see what you meant. well, i can't really say too much about the project (patent pending and i signed a NDA) ...

but, there is a moving (rotating) part from a motor of sorts, so i thought a small model generator would be the best/easiest to get a steady current produced.

i think i will try to use some model electric motors like mentioned above. the lego wheels motor looks intriguing ...
idea.gif Andy
davep
Use a permanent magnet motor and watch the RPMs. You will need a load that is about the same as your actual load for testing. Lots of black magic involved.
Spoke
Is the 2-3 amps a startup or intermittent current or steady state current?
cooltimes
Edmonds Scientific:
http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?p...hcd2=1200528427
or just go to any online robitics supplies and find an engine/generator.
Probably many being sold on Ebay.

Cooley
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.