Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tool chest etiquette
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spunone
Ok Wifey buys me a 3 piece tool chest for Christmas now it has all kinds of drawers . Now do I just put the tools where ever or is there a unwritten law as to what goes where? Me thinks she got tired of watchin me dig thru my tool cart for wrenches beer.gif Thanks
PeeGreen 914
How big is it? Pics?

I put sockets up top. Screw drivers next drawer, wrnches in the next, clamps and plyers and such in the next, air tools in the next. Buffer and largest tools on the bottom. Sides have other plyers and such.
spunone
Sorry no pics as of yet . Its a 27 wide about 60 plus on hieght 5 drawer bottom 2 drawer mid and 8 drawer top
PeeGreen 914
Yeah, I think I know what you have. I guess it is really about what is comfortable for you. My tool box is a big snap-on box and is set up much different than that. I would make sure your sockets get the big top drawer as you should have a lot of stuff in there.
So.Cal.914
In the smaller top drawers I have:

Top to bottom

1) Screwdrivers

2) pliers (sm)

3) Metric wrenches, crows feet, allen wrenches, etc

4) Standard wrenches, C F's, Allen wrenches, etc

Larger drawers below

5) Sockets

6) Ratchets, extentions, swivels, reducers, etc.

7) Pliers (lg), Channel locks, Vice grips, Pipe wrenches, etc.

8) Pullers, speciality tools, pipe cutters, etc

9) Knee pads(when you really need that raise), stethoscope, VO meter, timing gun, dwell/RPM meter, etc.

I keep all the wood working and working around the house tools in another

rollaway. This keeps them out of my hair when working on a car or bike. smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
This is why we need a picture to see what it is like.
EdwardBlume
I don't think it matters too much. Just label things, because when you have a line up of 4-5 thin drawers, I always HATE picking the wrong friggen door.... and always, always, always put things back the right way. There's nothing worse than chasing a tool around the garage.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Jan 15 2008, 12:58 PM) *

I don't think it matters too much. Just label things, because when you have a line up of 4-5 thin drawers, I always HATE picking the wrong friggen door.... and always, always, always put things back the right way. There's nothing worse than chasing a tool around the garage.

agree.gif and i don't even have a garage (or toolbox) ...

biggrin.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
Well if you have a tool box you should use it to keep things organised. You can get little lables that you put on the outside of the drawer to tell what's in there. Here is how I have everything layed out.
PeeGreen 914
Always good to have a spare bolts drawer too
jd74914
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jan 15 2008, 03:44 PM) *

In the smaller top drawers I have:

Top to bottom

1) Screwdrivers

2) pliers (sm)

3) Metric wrenches, crows feet, allen wrenches, etc

4) Standard wrenches, C F's, Allen wrenches, etc

Larger drawers below

5) Sockets

6) Ratchets, extentions, swivels, reducers, etc.

7) Pliers (lg), Channel locks, Vice grips, Pipe wrenches, etc.

8) Pullers, speciality tools, pipe cutters, etc

9) Knee pads(when you really need that raise), stethoscope, VO meter, timing gun, dwell/RPM meter, etc.

I keep all the wood working and working around the house tools in another

rollaway. This keeps them out of my hair when working on a car or bike. smile.gif

My Dad and I have our box set up like this (except for the knee pads part laugh.gif )
robby750
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 15 2008, 04:16 PM) *

Always good to have a spare bolts drawer too

Damn!!! Now I have tool envy.
sww914
Top full width, sockets, ratchets, extensions, impacts, and air ratchets
next full width, wrenches.
1st bottom R, screwdrivers
2nd bottom R, pliers and clamps
3rd bottom R, prybars and other long stuff
4th bottom R, hammers, dollies, chisels (deep drawer)
5th bottom R, air tools, lots of them. (deep drawer)
1st bottom L, papers
2nd bottom L, electrical stuff- I have another bigger drawer in a cabinet full too
3rd bottom L, special engine & tranny tools
4th bottom L safety stuff, glasses, gloves, respirators, etc.
Side Box
1 special parts I don't want to loose, keys.
2 allen wrenches
3 measuring tools
4 air stuff, blowers, fittings
5 drill bits
6 files
7 timing light (deep drawer)
8 die grinder attachments (deep drawer)
I also have a race box that I usually empty after a race, but mine's blue.
My big box is kinda like this orange one, but it's wider and black with a stainless top.
Porcharu
Most of my drawers look like that! Same with the floor and all my workbenches barf.gif
I have been cleaning for 2 days now - found one of my big storage cabinets that I haven't seen in a year. There is a 914 in here someplace. piratenanner.gif

I like the label idea. I have never seen anyone actually label a tool chest before.
Steve
PeeGreen 914
After replacing a bunch of engines and such you have all these nuts and bolts and stuff you want to keep off the cores. You never know when you may need it. I had to learn when enough was enough though as I don't want my garage or the rest of my tool box to look like that. The first tech I worked with was one of the most anal techs, and he made sure I learned how to keep things clean and organized. Stuck with me still and most likely forever.
Porcharu
The first guy I worked for was an absolute pack-rat (and a racist, sexist pig.) He was also a tool whore the likes of which I have never seen. We somehow made some nice cars in the total chaos of his shop.
I just hauled about a half a ton of steel to the scrapyard - only a half ton more to go. All of this from a 1-1/2 car garage. I hate, hate clutter - it loves me!
Steve

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 15 2008, 02:00 PM) *

After replacing a bunch of engines and such you have all these nuts and bolts and stuff you want to keep off the cores. You never know when you may need it. I had to learn when enough was enough though as I don't want my garage or the rest of my tool box to look like that. The first tech I worked with was one of the most anal techs, and he made sure I learned how to keep things clean and organized. Stuck with me still and most likely forever.

degreeoff
Well I have the El Cheapo 2 layer roller box by lowes....

TOP BOX

1--plyiers of all kinds(if it works like scissors its in there!)
2--screw drivers
3--specialty tools (if its odd its in there)
4--box end wrenches and adjustable wrenches as well as visegrips
5--Sockets etc

BOTTOM BOX

1--air tool misc. tire gauges, replacement ends etc die grinder bits
2--all my air tools
3--routers and a few power tools
4--more power tools

NOT TO MENTION my MANY cabinets filled with the bigger stuff....and a Craftsman 200 pc socket kit

Jon your box makes me SICK you neat SOB!!!....JK its great I just dont have the patience and work too many projects at once...when I cant move around or find tools I STOP....and spend 3 hours cleaning and start all over again..!!
PeeGreen 914
I factor all the tools I need for the job I am doing and put them on a roll around tool cart. that way I don't need to run back and forth.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 15 2008, 04:14 PM) *

Well if you have a tool box you should use it to keep things organised. You can get little lables that you put on the outside of the drawer to tell what's in there. Here is how I have everything layed out.

fap fap fap
EdwardBlume
Dang, that's quite a spread!!!! shades.gif
Gint
I just put all of my mechanic's hand tools tools in the front trunk of the 914. When I'm in the car, the tools are handy. When the 914 is in the garage, it's right in front of my bench so I just open the front trunk.
PeeGreen 914
wow. I think my car would be stuck if I did thant sad.gif Doesn't that add a ton...literally in some cases.... of unwanted weight?
Gint
Naw... not every tool I own is on the trunk. And I don' have quite the collection you do obviously. And it isn't a race car. What's another 50 pounds give or take?
PeeGreen 914
I have a tool bag when I go to AXs that has every tool I may need for a quick fix. I guess that would be the same.
chris914
A must is drawer liners. Protects the drawers and keeps the tools from sliding around when you open and close the drawers.
Richard Casto
I am using craftsman boxes with the nicer ball bearing slides and tray liners. I have become a big fan of my boxes as if I remember to put stuff away I don't have to look for them when I need them. I try to only keep out as much as I need. If I need to do work somewhere else I have been using nylon tool bags to cart stuff around. I have some specialized items (electrical, etc.) that I have dedicated regular hand tool boxes for those even if it means I have some duplicate tools in those (such as extra pliers).

Roughly top to bottom...

open bin on top: Tape measures, blades for utility knife, glue, loctite and lots of misc stuff that has no home
Drawer 1: channel locks, vice grips, specialized pliers, second string screwdrivers
Drawer 2: wrenches
Drawer 3: smaller sockets and drivers
Drawer 4: ¼” drive bits and misc small tools
Drawer 5: deep sockets
Drawer 6: rotary related items (drill bits, grinding and cutting disks, etc.)
Drawer 7: small air related item
Drawer 8: measurement related items (thread gauges, feeler gauges, micrometers, torque wrenches, calipers)
Drawer 9: larger drawer with hammers, hacksaw, large pipe wrench and other bulky misc stuff
Drawer 10: larger drawer with pullers, stethoscope and other bulky misc stuff.

Items I use very frequently or are very bulky are on a pegboard. This includes screw drivers, some pliers, crescent wrenches, safety and welding mask, breaker bars, straight edges, etc. Infrequently used items are in individual plastic buckets such as misc. air tools and other non mechanical items (woodworking, painting, etc.)
Brett W
Organization is a must. My house may be a wreck but my tool box is perfect.
Everything gets its own drawer.
spunone
Great Ideas Thanks Guys gonna fire up my label maker now and star puttin stuff aktion035.gif away
Jeff Hail
All of you need more tools. Too much air space in those drawers if you ask me.
orange914
isnt it funny how no matter how hard you try to teach your kids to "clean up the tools amd put them back where they came from", it's a constant battle. headbang.gif but... wait until they get there own box, it's been quite a different story. i guess i can't complain it's good somethings eventually get thru! wacko.gif

mike
Rusty
Brett, I've seen your shop... it's never been that neat! biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
NAh, my tools are everywhere. I have a race box that I can just lift into the back of the truck.
I have a leave in the garage box
I have a few tool bags that I carry to the car to use whan I and under it.
once in a blue moon I sort through and sorta organize. I am "that guy"
But I know where my stuff is.
Brett W
I think I had just moved in.
sww914
All y'all's tool are lookin' too new to me. Get out in the garage and do some stuff!
PeeGreen 914
I use my tools 3 or 4 times a week, but I clean them everytime I am finished. Some could say it is me being OCD. Brake clean makes cleaning quick biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.