Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am back!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ben1440
Hey Everyone!

It was about 2 years ago that I stopped posting around here. I had a 72 that I spent a good amount of time on. I was able to do the things on it from the information and resources available here. Unfortunately, I was rear-ended on the freeway by an uninsured illegal immigrant. Click to view attachment

After that happened, i got rid of just about everything and got a new car. Well I am sick of car payments, and i realized how much i missed having a 914. Found a pretty nice 73, injected 1.7 on craigslist and just picked it up 2 days ago. Pics to come tonight.

First thing is first though, I am having trouble starting it. To add, it is a somewhat intermittent issue. When you turn the key to on, the fuel pump goes on. What was happening was when i turned the key after the fuel pump came on, and got nothing at all, no attempt to crank. The advise i got was that is was most likely a bad ground to the tranny. Last night, i got the strap off, cleaned the terminals and nothing. Then i did the same to both leads of the battery. Still same problem.

Out of mild frustration, i put some force into turning the key, and found that if i push kind of down and in while turning the key i can get it to turn roughly 3 out of 5 tries. Is it a bad ignition switch or something else? Some other info is that in my attempts to turn it on, one time i turned the key and the horn went off.

Where to start?

GLAD TO BE BACK!!

--Ben
So.Cal.914
Sounds like a switch. On the horn going off, do you have a stock steering wheel or aftermarket?
KaptKaos
welcome.png

Bad switch then bad starter.

Take out the switch and clean it as best you can. Replace and try again. New switches are cheap. Get a new one anyway.

Test the starter by jumping the posts. If it cranks, then you know its the switch. If it doesn't crank right away, then its the starter or the solenoid. tap it with a hammer, see if it improves.
EdwardBlume
Man that's a horrible way for a 914 to die!

Welcome back!
ben1440
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jan 15 2008, 12:50 PM) *

Sounds like a switch. On the horn going off, do you have a stock steering wheel or aftermarket?

Stock steering wheel but it is upside down
ben1440
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jan 15 2008, 12:52 PM) *

welcome.png

Bad switch then bad starter.

Take out the switch and clean it as best you can. Replace and try again. New switches are cheap. Get a new one anyway.

Test the starter by jumping the posts. If it cranks, then you know its the switch. If it doesn't crank right away, then its the starter or the solenoid. tap it with a hammer, see if it improves.

What is the process for taking out that switch?
Spoke
My 71 had a sticky rubber gasket around the starter solenoid. This caused the solenoid not to pull in. If the solenoid does not pull in, the starter does not operate. All it made was a very low click. This was intermittent too. I sprayed every kind of lubricant that I had on the solenoid. That was 2 years ago and the starter is still in use.

Before tackling the switch, make sure it's not the switch. The next time it won't start, get your voltmeter and see if there's voltage on the starter solenoid. This will take 2 people unless your voltmeter has clips and you can clip it on the starter and see it as you turn the key. If there is a good 12V on the solenoid, then it's not your switch.

Spoke
Root_Werks
Nice to see someone return from nornal-ness to, well this again. biggrin.gif
ben1440
I have been searching the forums for similar issues with the car not starting. I came across a seat belt relay that can effect the car not starting. Do you guys think that is something to check based on the symptoms?
PeeGreen 914
What year is your car?

It can affect starting, but it wouldn't do anything to your fuel pump. The relay breaks the ground to the starter so it will not engage.

After reading you posts I see it is a '73. Don't think they have those.
ben1440
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 15 2008, 03:58 PM) *

What year is your car?

It can affect starting, but it wouldn't do anything to your fuel pump. The relay breaks the ground to the starter so it will not engage.

It is a 73. If that does not affect the fuel pump, that may sound like something to look at. The fuel pump kicks on every time without fail. It is after the fuel pump kicks on and i turn the key, i get no attempt from the starter.
PeeGreen 914
Look under your passenger seat to see if there is a little box there. If there is you will need to eliminate it.
Dave_Darling
There's a Pelican article on replacing the ignition switch. It's correct for 72-74 cars, so it should be cool for yours.

The 73 "should" not have the Dreaded Seatbelt Interlock Relay. That started with the 74 model year, and had a little carry-over to 75 I think. You can check under the passenger's seat for the relay (it'll say "LOGIC RELAIS" on it); among the wires plugged into the socket for it will be two fat yellow wires, one of which may have a red stripe. If it doesn't have the fat yellow wires, it's not interrupting your starter signal.

--DD
Rand
It's not uncommon for the plastic part of the switch to crack. Happened to me, and caused the exact symptoms. I'd bet Miles' sheepskin boots that'll fix it.
RoadGlue
Hey Ben!

Let's try shorting the starter leads when you come over on Thursday. You should probably go ahead and order the switch in the mean time, so you can do the job this weekend if that's the problem. It's so cheap that it's worth just getting it here just in case.

$7.75 + tax and shipping.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._ELswch_pg1.htm

PS. This is my 500th post!
PSS. Glad to have you back Ben, and it's good that my friends are getting back into 914s again!
RoadGlue
Oh, and:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Let's see some of the new car!
ben1440
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jan 15 2008, 09:29 PM) *

Oh, and:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Let's see some of the new car!

OK OK!!! tomorrow, i promise. I cleaned up the inside tonight, so i will have to take some in the morning. see you thursday randy!
McMark
Sheesh, what's going on on Thursday. confused24.gif Burgers? Beer? burger.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 15 2008, 10:18 PM) *

Sheesh, what's going on on Thursday. confused24.gif Burgers? Beer? burger.gif

Ben and I are going to do a little post-purchase wrenching on his car out at my pop's place in Sebastopol. You're welcome to come on out if you'd like to join in the fun. Sure we could find ya a burger somewhere as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.