Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Model year 1982 916????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
For Christmas my little sister bought me a nice Porsche book (don't ask for the name of it, I cannot remember it)

It has in it what is claimed to be a 1982 916....a breif story:

In the late 70's a Porsche worker who owns an original /6 brings his car to the factory where for 6 years the car undergoes the transformation into the 12th 916 ever made.....it sounds like he did the work himself...

No hardtop, instead a full cage is installed.........

Now as far as I can tell, everything else has been "upgraded" or changed to "convert" it into a 916, but what is the general consences???

Real or replica???

I would call it a 916 replica and not the real deal unless Porsche had there hands on it more than just a worker moonlighting in his spare time to do the conversion.
redshift
It's not real, it has the wrong chassis number.

M
Bruce Allert
If he used all REAL 916 parts I guess it could be a 916 but, I thought in order for something to be "The Real Thing" it had to be made by the same company or people that made "The Real Thing" idea.gif A good one to ponder.

.........b
URY914
FAKE!
seanery
a good replica
DNHunt
If the book is the one I read this summer it was pretty cool. It had 3-4 page articles on cars that were significant in Porsche history including this particular /6. I felt it was a replica and got the impression that the author did too as he thought this would have been the result of development through 1982.

The article had some nice info such as a 914 mule was a test bed for the 930 turbo

I felt the author kind of lamented the demise of our 914's. He pointed out that it actually sold well in the face of awful press and indifference from Porsche. Ah, what could have been. Still we got a great little car and a little respect respect in a book about Porsche.

Wish I could remember the name of the book. I checked it out from the library and read a little bit each morning drinking coffee at Starbucks on vacation at Whistler. Great time

Dave
redshift
I have a guitar that is made of a body, and neck that were built during prototyping for a production model, just not assembled. It has all the correct parts, date codes, and a case.

As genuine as it really is, it's a copy of.

You can call that car a 916 all day (not that anyone would care, only Japanese Industrialists ever did) but it's a modified 914/6.

heh

M
URY914
I see Mustang guys making copies of Cobra 350's but they're still copies. Just like all the RS clones being built.

Must be part of the original production run to be real in my eyes.

Paul
Aaron Cox
agree.gif
rick 918-S
Copy.

The car was built, titled and sold in the 70's. Just because a car is customized at the factory in the 80's doesn't mean it's an original or a continuation of a model. There are several hundred copied done by shops and enthusists all around the world. If we were counting them up the car in question would be like # 10,000 copy or something by the time he finished his. And if it doesn't have the tin top it's not even a good copy.
GWN7
I'd say it's a copy......

Ford had a bunch of model A's built last year for their anniversary. They used the original production molds to make the parts and assembled them in a Ford factory. Does that make them real Model A's?
URY914
Now of course, we'd all be thinkin' different if it was OUR car now wounldn't we? cool_shades.gif

Paul
Bigbohr
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jan 6 2004, 04:52 PM)
Wish I could remember the name of the book

The book is "Porsche Legends" by Randy Leffingwell
Gint
My .02

Very well made copy, but still a copy.
redshift
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 6 2004, 11:51 PM)
Now of course, we'd all be thinkin' different if it was OUR car now wounldn't we? cool_shades.gif

Paul

Well, yes. My car is a geniune piece of shit, and you can never take that away from me.

(under it's own reliable power)

M
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 6 2004, 11:09 PM)

Well, yes. My car is a geniune piece of shit, and you can never take that away from me.

M

Oh my, a revelation has come to me blink.gif I have found when I bad mouth my 'lil car it knows... & runs like shit.
So, Miles, no matter where you go, here ya are. Be nice to it & it will quit taking advantage of your wallet...................................... maybe chair.gif

...........b
redshift
It moved gingerly.. at first, thru my wallet, then began raging on my retirement.

Me and this car, we love each other.

M
-guitars for sale!-
Bruce Allert
..."there ya go, man.....

face piles of trials with smiles

it riles them to believe

that you perceive

the web they weave........."

beerchug.gif

...................b
redshift
Whatever! laugh.gif

914s SUCK!

{smile.gif}

M
kafermeister
QUOTE(seanery @ Jan 6 2004, 08:44 PM)
a good replica

agree.gif

How about an 'unauthorized factory replica'? As I'm sure Porsche AG did nothing to help him with his quest.
Rouser
A knock-off ...

Heck, I'm sure that with the right parts, resources, and $$$, most any one of us could build a better 916 than what the factory offered.

It'd be a replica and not command the 6-digit-figure price-of-ownership. But I'm sure it'd run rings around the original.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.