Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dry sump pump in a 914-4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
betegh9
I am looking for an answer to engine oiling for the 914 motor. AX and track events with high revs starve the bearings of oil, so I was wondering if anyone here has done a dry sup system that worked similar to a 911 motor.

CB Performance sells a 2 stage system that may work if the crank pulley is changed, but I am not sure if this pump, when the engine is stopped, would keep the oil from the tank to seep into the engine.

Any information would help, thanks.
Al Meredith
I think the old Formula Super V (Type IV) used a dry sump system. We bought a three stage pump at a PAP auction once that mounted external to the engine in the stock location. Would not fit with the fan shroud in place. I guess the VSV had slip stream cooling and no shroud.
McMark
A dry sump pump in the stock location with a stock fan housing doesn't work. The pump sticks out too far. You could get a belt driven pump and mount it like the air pump on 76 models.

Short answer, it ain't easy.

Do it. We'll all help, and we'll all learn in the process.
Dave_Darling
Doesn't Raby or Racer Chris have one dry-sump setup that does fit with the stock shroud? I am pretty sure I read something about that here or on the Shoptalkforums BBS...

--DD
lotus_65
this car on e-bay says it has a dry-sump setup on it's 4.
i wonder if you wrote him and asked for some details...

paul
HAM Inc
We use the CB pump on our F-Prod car. It does fit behind the stock fan shroud, but the front engine mounts have to be replaced with a custom piece. We also use a ball valve at the sump tank to keep the crankcase from filling when the engine isn't running.
The CB pump needs some minor mods to accomodate the pipe fittings. For some reason CB didn't machine the threads far enough. It's not a big deal. Just get a pipe tap and the pipe nipples you plan to use then tap until the nipples fit properly.
The pump doesn't have enough ass to deal with compliance (no pump likes compliance anyway), so you will have to use braided lines.
Dave_Darling
Ah, thanks Len! Sorry to forget that it was you who was the one running it.

--DD
ConeDodger
Much of the prior discussion I have seen on this has focused on if this is necessary...

I recall most felt a half quart overfill and a tuna can were all that was needed.

I think Jake has actually recommended Accusump?
Jake Raby
The CB pumps have issues out of the box when fitted to the Type 4 engine, especially with certain camshafts.. The CB pump is made for the Type 1 and it takes an hour of work to make it match the oil passages of a Type 4 and fit correctly in the case.

Cam interference and mis matched oil passages are a guarantee if installing one out of the box.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.