Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heading south for the Big BJ
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
Barrett-Jackson that is. Be there for the Friday and Saturday auctions. Be Sure to watch the action on SPEED, after this it will be all NASCAR.
See ya there.
Craig C. Laughlin
stateofidleness
ahhhh Barrett-Jackson....

i was like.. whoa whoa.. wait... where is this Big BJ being held?
TeenerTim
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 16 2008, 02:24 AM) *

Barrett-Jackson that is. Be there for the Friday and Saturday auctions. Be Sure to watch the action on SPEED, after this it will be all NASCAR.
See ya there.
Craig C. Laughlin

The Rolex 24 will be before NASCAR. Anyone going?
boxstr
With alot of NASCAR drivers in the seat. Whats next 24 hour NASCAR races.
Craig C. Laughlin
Cap'n Krusty
The France family OWNS "GRAND AM". In fact, it owns the Daytona facility. That makes the Grand Am just as NASCAR (which they also own) as those silly "stock car" races (in which they build and control the actual cars). A substantial piece of EVERYTHING their hand is in goes into their pockets. Forget racing for racing's sake, forget true competition, forget the manufacturers, the fans, "sport". It's all about them. Speed channel, which is owned by FOX, was used as a bargaining tool to getr NBC out of NASCAR, and it remains a tool of the France family, even though they don't own it.

Coupled with Speed's "reality" shows and other bullshit, it remains near the bottom of the foodchain, IMO. The Cap'n
Root_Werks
I think I speak for many of us here Craig when I say "We expect you to come back with some sort of cool Porsche or something from the auction."

biggrin.gif

Maybe a 904? 550?
sixnotfour
Blastolene Special B-702
702 c.i. that is;
TeenerTim
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 16 2008, 12:05 PM) *

I think I speak for many of us here Craig when I say "We expect you to come back with some sort of cool Porsche or something from the auction."

biggrin.gif

Maybe a 904? 550?

There are only 23 Porsches listed. Almost all are "recreations" aka kit cars.
woobn8r
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 16 2008, 12:05 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Maybe a 904? 550?

They don't sell cars on jackstands at B-J.....do they?
Racing916
Who cares if NASCAR "owns" Grand Am, it is a great series that is very competitive and full of many car manufacturers. I am glad Fox owns speed so we can get 17 hours of coverage this year. Where is the problem in that, or do you just like to complain about everything?

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 16 2008, 08:57 AM) *

The France family OWNS "GRAND AM". In fact, it owns the Daytona facility. That makes the Grand Am just as NASCAR (which they also own) as those silly "stock car" races (in which they build and control the actual cars). A substantial piece of EVERYTHING their hand is in goes into their pockets. Forget racing for racing's sake, forget true competition, forget the manufacturers, the fans, "sport". It's all about them. Speed channel, which is owned by FOX, was used as a bargaining tool to getr NBC out of NASCAR, and it remains a tool of the France family, even though they don't own it.

Coupled with Speed's "reality" shows and other bullshit, it remains near the bottom of the foodchain, IMO. The Cap'n

Cap'n Krusty
Yup. Everything. Maybe you're not old enough to remember Parnelli, AJ Foyt and Gurney hangin' it all out at Riverside, in NASCAR, in REAL cars, cars that started life on the assembly line in Detroit or Dearborn. Cars that not only looked like what you could buy from your friendly local dealer, you actually COULD buy them. Drivers that ran Indy, NASCAR, USAC dirt tracks, and Le Mans, and maybe even F1, all in the same year. As for Grand Am, I prefer ALMS and its support racing, where you see REAL cars, racing on classic tracks, and REAL innovators like the LMP1 and LMP2 cars, the Vettes (which, if allowed to run WFO, could give the LMP cars a run for the money), as well as the Porsches and others that run in the GT classes. The Speed Challenge, which generally runs as a support series, offers unparalleled racing, a diverse list of manufacturers, driving cars you can buy (albeit suitably prepped for the track).
As for Speed TVs coverage, it's nice they can cut to the "auction", something we can all enjoy ........... Seems to me there was a lot of criticism of their coverage last year ......................... The Cap'n
woobn8r
I actually prefer "Grand Am" to ALMS....
It has a spec chassis formula (with different manufacturers) married to production based engine blocks from several manufacturers. Tighter rules so the better drivers and teams prevail...hopefully.

The ALMS can have say, AUDI (for example) pour a mountain of cash in a class, then dominate until someone else gets a budget...The Corvette Team has spent way more than the Ferrari's that chased it....Now Ford (Aston Martin) has opened the vault....MAybe I'm predjudice as I love the 24 hours of LeMans and I dont like it being watered down like this series...JMHO...ymmv.

Oh, BTW...I hate NASCAR & FOX. NASCAR because there's too much coverage (especially on insignificant things to take up air time) and Fox because they ruined SPEEDVISION where I could watch BTCC, DTM and a dozen other cool series'
Cap'n Krusty
Say what you want about Audi and Corvette, but their racing innovations have rapidly appeared in their production cars, some only a year or two after they proved successful on the track. Audi perfected FSI for their gasoline engines (more HP, far better fuel economy, MUCH cleaner, the new style TDIs are already on the market in Europe and will be sold here within a few months, they're developing the first viable production diesel sports car which should be available within about 2 years, and they've dominated Le Mans and ALMS longer than anyone before, all for less money than they would have had to bring to the table in F1, where that kind of dough would have bought them backmarker status. Corvette has developed into the biggest bang-for-the-buck of any sports car on the market. Not only is it the least expensive in it's class, it may just be the best, as well. You don't get that with NASCAR style formula racing. BTW, Audi has had a history of innovation, as well as a history of having those innovations banned because whiners prevailed. The R-10 was initially protested (after the competition saw how fast it was) because the exhaust "smelled bad"(!) and might make the opposing drivers sick ......... They've imposed ever greater weight and HP penalties on the Vettes to give Aston Martin a chance.

The Cap'n
woobn8r
F1 is a completely different ball game when it comes to racing.....and that's why I did not refrence it....

I don't give a hang nail for what racing R&D goes into a manufacturers street product. I just want to see good honest racing within well defined rules.

I don't care if the car has a vague resembelance to one on the lot at my local Chevy dealer....This "formula style" racing puts the onus on the driver and the team rather than the designers and the budget.

You can have your choice, but if I wanted to watch engineers at work I'd be a drag racing fan....I'm not.

Also "NASCAR style" is not an accurate description of Grand Am as the only differences between makes of NASCAR chassis is the stickers. They run the same transmission/diffs, brakes and fit the same template.....oh, and show me the Toyota V8 at the dealership (okay, lets not go there). There's a big difference in different Grand AM chassis'. Each team chooses the available chassis/engine combination and tries to make it work.

Many race teams /manufacturers innovate and are punished for it. Mazda always had to endure a "multiplier" on it's rotary engine displacement, The Granitelli Turbine car spelled the end for that technology at Indy...all wheel drive was also banned at Indy long before the Quattro was concieved....racers always look for a way to beat the rules and go faster... it usually has little to do with manufacturers.

However if you are spending large on racing...and it's not F1....modern budgets require a sales hook....now I'm losing interest...did I say I like RACING, not marketing.

Don't get me wrong...I'll watch road racing in most forms including ALMS. I just prefer Grand Am in a comparison of the two. Sort of like Champ cars over IRL and BTCC over DTM....and all of the previous before roundy-round "stock cars". Hell, I'll watch America's Cup yacht racing before todays "stock cars"....

Shhh..... hold on, my soap opera is about to start.....BMW unveiled their New F1 car today....I love F1!

Cheers, and apologies for the hi-jack.....

Sean
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Jan 16 2008, 09:54 PM) *

Hell, I'll watch America's Cup yacht racing before todays "stock cars"....

av-943.gif
jasons
The Barrett Jackson was just a little ol' car auction before Speed Channel started airing it. The first time I went, it was 3 days and the most expensive day was like $15. The last time I went (about 2 years ago), I think the most expensive day was $45 and the whole thing lasted 4 or 5 days. Now, I think the most expensive day is $55 and the whole event is up to 8 days?

Speed TV and Craig Jackson have single handedly changed the collector car hobby for better or worse.

There are like 3 other auctions in town at the same time. The R&M at the Arizona Biltmore specializes more in the high end European stuff. Russo and Steele are kind of like BJ, before Speed TV got involved.
boxstr
Crazy down here..the town must have exploded to twice its size as far as population is concerned.
The BJ is so big I can understand why they have extended the number of days. There are more outside events and vendors. It would take a week to take in everything.
The Speed channel coverage is only a small part of this event.
If you are a gearhead it is one of those things you have to do while you are still able...kind of like Pebble Beach or a Porsche Parade.
Craig C. Laughlin
Sleepin
I really miss WRC on Speedvision! Speed channel sucks now!

On topic...two things I really want to do one of these days....BJ and SEMA!
richardmosselman
WRC is what I miss most on Speed as well. Always used to nurse my New Year's Eve hangover with the all-day coverage of the previous season on New Year's Day! Some outstanding athletes, RIP Colin Mcrae.
boxstr
Back from the BIG BJ. Had lots of fun, lots of people. Not the big spenders their this year, other than Ron Pratt. Money wasn't being tossed around like in the past.
The Monster Garage cars, WTF was that about. Looked like a tow yard auction.
Lots of really nice cars selling for not what it must have cost to build, Blastolene comes to mind.
Shelbys were the new flavor this year. Anything Shelby was going to bring good money.
Craig C. Laughlin
tdgray
Soooo Craig... fess up did you buy anything biggrin.gif
boxstr
Nope, Not even a BJ hat or T shirt. Actually this was a better year IMHO, for buyers than sellers. I think it is the economy.
Craig C. Laughlin
Cap'n Krusty
Just to stir the NASCAR pot ................

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/nascar/nextel/42710/

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.